EMS/medical quotes

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Sorry.:unsure:

mycrofft

There's a fair amount of nonsense and leeway watching House, of course. (This guy does -- did -- medical reviews on all the episodes, so it's nicely catalogued there.) But it's still a fun exercise to play diagnostician as you watch. Serious students can write down symptoms and keep a differential as they go, and maybe pause the episode to update the ddx as things present. It's a nice way to practice corralling together disparate findings on the fly and drawing physiological connections (i.e. not just falling back on simple memorized associations like "rales = CHF," but thinking about the pathophys and integrating systems together).

But yeah, obviously, the most common ways to connect weird and remote pathologies are often things like autoimmune problems, or infection. (It's a great ID review.) There's definitely some good ones with genetic conditions or iatrogenic effects too.

To stray further off topic, one episode of HOUSE contained two anecdotes from a book I once read ; a man who ate so many carrots he turned orange, and a kid poisoned with organophosphates spilled onto his jeans before his mom bought them at a discount store.

mycrofft

One of my two EMT instructors at MetroTech Community College (Lance and Ernie):

"Don't get on the radio to me talkin' about a 'possible distal fracture of the tibia this and that'. A broke leg is a broke leg and it needs a splint."

Meursault

Organic Mechanic
Forum OC!
When people refer to me as a healer, I feel compelled to correct them. I would describe my role as more of a necromancer. I can prolong your life, maybe even take away some of your pain, but I cannot make you the way you were and you will pay a price beyond money for what I offer. Whether or not you can accept that is up to you.

mycrofft

Bring back Vene!

mycrofft

In a similar vein, something my basic (and intermediate) instructor said, "Never put anything in a pt's mouth you're not willing to lose."

And wouldn't mind the pt swallowing or inhaling.

Man, I need to remember that for my class! Dibs!

UnkiEMT

Forum Truck Monkey
Premium Member
And wouldn't mind the pt swallowing or inhaling.

Man, I need to remember that for my class! Dibs!

Well considering I did my basic and intermediate in Maine, I don't think there's much chance of her finding out you stole it. :)

mycrofft

Probably on here already.
I'll wear a fake beard and moustache

OP
OP
Brandon O

Brandon O

Puzzled by facies
"There's no cure for dying."

-- House, "One Day, One Room" (s03e12)

mycrofft

"There's no cure for dying."

-- House, "One Day, One Room" (s03e12)

One of the best episodes, even if he grabs a needled syringe of paralytic out of a drawer to stop a seizure caused by Valium (!!???).

OP
OP
Brandon O

Brandon O

Puzzled by facies
One of the best episodes, even if he grabs a needled syringe of paralytic out of a drawer to stop a seizure caused by Valium (!!???).

To shut up a combative patient, rather. Someone else OD's on Valium.

No finger-pointing, but I have heard tell of ED docs using sux as their "chemical restraint" back in the good/bad old days...

mycrofft

And it is kept in preloaded typical syringes in drawers.

That actress was a licensed bodyguard and martial arts practitioner. I liked her as the reporter/girlfriend of Booth on BONES.

EMedCounsel

Forum Probie
“We are the last stop for Mrs. Smith when her
kitchen is burning. There ain’t no 9-1-2.”
-Chief Alan Brunacini, Phoenix Fire Dept.

This is a fire-based quote I like, but the underlying theme and idea are easily transferable to the medical side.

mycrofft

"Never mess with hands, eyes, babies or pregnancies. You're always going to lose. Send 'em out". (MD I was working with at the jail).
------------
"The abdomen is a dark, dangerous and mysterious place". (anatomy instructor).
--------------

(In Booking)
"Do you drink alcohol?"
"No just beer".
"How much in an average day?".
"About six forties. But sometimes I share".
"If you quit, do you have bad dreams, start shaking, get sick to your stomach…"
"Whaada ya mean, 'quit'!".