EMS in the Middle East

LawKev

Forum Crew Member
Hi,

I'm starting an EMT-B class next month and my goal and to get a job in one of the Arabic speaking countries. Saudi is number one on my list and I don't want to go to Iraq. I need to know if I will need an Associates degree or would a certificate (Paramedic) from a community college due? If I went the certificate route would it be hard to complete the Associates later if I need to. I have no experience with college. I am an American and I speak Arabic fluently. I also lived in Saudi for a few months many years ago. For the curious ones I am a Muslim this is why I would like to live and work in Saudi not to mention the money and benefits that go along with the job.

Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Get their requirements down on paper.

You might also look into "distance learning" programs for your continuing education once over there.

If you are foremost interested in living there you will likely find you need to work in multiple jobs, whatever it takes. Your priority is location not vocation, or am I wrong?

Why not see about working there for an American contractor, make your contacts and sniff things out, then legally "go native" later if what you see suits you?

Insha'Allah.

OP
OP
L

LawKev

Forum Crew Member
Saudi red cresent has two jobs I might be able to qualify for:

Paramedic / Flight Paramedic
Requirements:
• High School Diploma or equivalent.
• Successful completion of appropriate Paramedic Program.
• Valid professional licensure / registration in home country.
• Minimum 2 years of verifiable work experience in the chosen field.
• Driving license in “home country”.
• Fluent English speaking, reading and writing.
• Medically, physically, and mentally fit.
• Previous work experience in the Middle East is an advantage but not a must.
• Flight Paramedics must provide proof of previous flight experience / specialty training and meet height / weight requirements

and

Disaster Management Officer
Requirements:
• Minimum 2 years of verifiable work experience in Emergency / Disaster Management.
• Experienced Paramedic or EMT with specialized training in Emergency preparedness / Disaster Management may substitute for work experience.
• Valid professional licensure / certification in your home country.
• Fluent English speaking, reading, and writing.
• Ability to communicate in Arabic preferred.
• Must be able to effectively manage multiple priorities under extreme pressure in a highly stressful environment.
• Must possess good public relation skills.

If I'm understanding correctly I should be able to apply for these jobs with a Paramedic and a couple years of experience. I could go there on a Hajj or Umrah visa and apply in person.

Yes, I am interested in location.

In shaa Allah

falcon-18

Forum Crew Member

Requirements:
• Flight Paramedics must provide proof of previous flight experience / specialty training and meet height / weight requirements

and

Requirements:
• Minimum 2 years of verifiable work experience in Emergency / Disaster Management.
• Experienced Paramedic or EMT with specialized training in Emergency preparedness / Disaster Management may substitute for work experience.
• Must be able to effectively manage multiple priorities under extreme pressure in a highly stressful environment.

If I'm understanding correctly I should be able to apply for these jobs with a Paramedic and a couple years of experience. I could go there on a Hajj or Umrah visa and apply in person.

In shaa Allah

wow... it is intersting ..
Welcome to saudi red criscent. I am from saudi arabia . If you want any help I will help you HELPING IS MY JOB

:):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
They've had some big ads running in JEMS and EMS Magazine for a few months. Here's the website:

http://www.emssaudiarabia.com/

I looked and considered, for a bit - personally, I'd miss a few things, biggest of which would be the freedom to pray in a house of worship for my religion.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I would suggest going for your EMT-Paramedic if you're really looking for the best opportunities in the middle east. The major players (Haliburton, KBR, Blackwater USA) have fewer and fewer open positions as the U.S. economy struggles. Having your Paramedic cert will give you an advantage both overseas and domestically.

nomofica

Forum Asst. Chief
I would suggest going for your EMT-Paramedic if you're really looking for the best opportunities in the middle east. The major players (Haliburton, KBR, Blackwater USA) have fewer and fewer open positions as the U.S. economy struggles. Having your Paramedic cert will give you an advantage both overseas and domestically.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but did he not mention that he would have his NREMT-P along with 2 years of on-the-job experience in his first post?

mycrofft

Be in Rome = shoot Roman candles.

Indigenous aid organzation in Islamic countries is red crescent, in most of Europe red cross. Guess what Israel has? (Wonder what USSR had?).

At one time, Yassir Arafat's cousin was head of the Red Crescent in Palestine.

phabib

Forum Lieutenant
I couldn't find how long term the positions are. I'd only be able to commit to a summer but it seems like a cool opportunity. They are taking EMT-basic applications online, it would be tempting. What is the compensation for expatriates going to work there?

mycrofft

What's your tax picture?

Everyone, check about taxes you will have to pay.

calimedic

Forum Probie
Red crescent

There are no taxes for the money you earn while working oversea's Unless you lucky enough to make more than $100,000 a year then anything over that can be taxed.

I have two friends who are now in Saudi with the Red Crescent. I have heard no complaints. They are starting up the Air Medical program.

Also Hamad EMS in Qatar is looking for Medic's. Just one more option. I think they pay is less.

I was recommended a book Paramedic to the Prince. Written by a Paramedic who spent ten years in Saudi.

WWW.paramedictotheprince.com

I loved the book. Was a great read

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Calimedic, your 100K is inaccurate.

You are responsible for taxes on any wages earned if you do not spend at least 330 days outside the USA during a 12 month period.

You are responsible to pay taxes on anything earned over 84K if you fail to meet that requirement. So keep that in mind when you go on holiday because you never know if a secondary emergency trip may require you to return as well, therefore forcing you to pay the taxes.

Also, if you quit or are sent home for whatever reason, you will pay taxes.

Thanks to George Bush, he passed what is called the Heart Act. Anyways prior to this little gem, the taxes worked like this for overseas workers:

Worker earns 100K for the year.
He gets 84K tax exempt and pays taxes on the 16K as if all he earned was 16K (very low tax bracket on paper).

After the Act.

Worker earns 100K for the year.
He gets 84K tax exempt and pays taxes on the 16K for the full about he earned (very high tax bracket).

EDIT: The amount exempted has been increased this year from 84K to 91,400. I do not think the Red Crescent is paying anywhere near that, therefore you just need to be careful of your days spent in the US. Play it safe, stay abroad and see the world.

calimedic

Forum Probie
saudi

akflightmedic

Thanks for the updated information. Your information is right on. I knew i was close with 100,000, just did not have the exact figure. I am not sure what Red Crescent are paying. Does anyone have the figure?

Thank you

redcrossemt

Forum Asst. Chief

Requirements:

and

Requirements:

In shaa Allah

It sounds like you might not have the 2 years of experience for either position... and you likely won't be cut out for disaster management with just a paramedic cert or degree.

If you are interested in emergency management, go to school for that. If you want a permanent job in EM, you will be competing with people who have bachelor degrees or higher.

If you are interested in paramedicine, go to school for that. An associate's degree will probably help, definitely won't hurt.

Either way, I would strongly suggest completing a bachelor's degree at minimum.

ameriki

Forum Probie
They've had some big ads running in JEMS and EMS Magazine for a few months. Here's the website:

http://www.emssaudiarabia.com/

I looked and considered, for a bit - personally, I'd miss a few things, biggest of which would be the freedom to pray in a house of worship for my religion.

Hi Jon,

I totaly agree with you. If that is the only think keeping you from trying things out here then maybe you could reconsider. The embassy has church services every Friday morning. You can pretty much do everything here that you would do at home.....just with a few modifications.

NJFLGHTMDC

Forum Crew Member
Hydration

What are you guys using as far as hydration packs, ie Camel backs, and whats the most popular