EMS in the Miami, FL area

auri33125

Forum Ride Along
Hi, I'm new to this forum and soon to be in a new career if all goes as planned. I'm 31 years old living in the Miami, FL area. I'm looking for a career change. I do not know anything about the EMS field. I been doing a lot of research on it online and I been finding it interesting so far. First I would like to know if anyone in the Miami, FL area can name me a good school for EMT training. I been looking into American Medical Academy and Florida Medical Training Institute (FMTI) still undecided on which school. FMTI is closer to my house so maybe I'll have an advantage of not driving too far for training. Anyone done their training at FMTI and how did it go? Also how long does an EMT have to wait to start Paramedic training? Someone told me a year. Last thing, and also a few last questions, are there jobs in the Miami, FL area for EMT/Medics in the private sector? What is the Pay for EMT and Paramedic? What are the Hours of work? and do they run emergency calls or is it just transporting patients from place to place?

Thank you,
AC

Pneumothorax

Forum Lieutenant
you could call the schools for info. also look into Miami Dade College. They offer EMT classes also.

Private companys mostly do Interfacility Transport/Transfers from my understanding now. If you want 911 you'll have to work for (MDFR/City of Miami, miami beach or hialeah fire.)

good luck :)

Hunter

Forum Asst. Chief
Also how long does an EMT have to wait to start Paramedic training?

Depends on the school, some schools will let you go straight to medics from EMT.

Last thing, and also a few last questions, are there jobs in the Miami, FL area for EMT/Medics in the private sector? What is the Pay for EMT and Paramedic? What are the Hours of work? and do they run emergency calls or is it just transporting patients from place to place?

Jobs are scarce.

average pay EMT:9-11.15 depending on the company,

AMR is the best:censored:paying
American Ambulance has second best (I believe)
MEdics/Miami Dade Ambulance service I think have the lowest but Miami Dade has insentives for the number of calls you run.

Private sector hours vary, some companys have 24 hour shifts, some have 8-12 hour shifts.

All the services run emergency calls, AMR I believe has a duel response system with Hialeah or City of Miami Fire rescue where they both respond and AMR transports if it's BLS. about 75% of the calls for private companies are BLS IFT Transports. Usually an ALF -> Hospital/Dailysis Centers, and hospital discharges. Different companies have different contracts with different hospitals so really it changes depending on who you end up working for.

FlamingFirefox

Forum Probie
You should also check the school's websites and see there EMT class schedules,and see which one fits you. I went to AMA and they have one day a week schedules,thats hard to find,but that was perfect for me and their program is $1600

OP
OP
A

auri33125

Forum Ride Along
Thanks for the quick response! Any idea how much a paramedic working for a private company like AMR make an hour, starting pay in the Miami, FL area?

Hunter

Forum Asst. Chief
Thanks for the quick response! Any idea how much a paramedic working for a private company like AMR make an hour, starting pay in the Miami, FL area?

they start them at around 13.5-14 i believe... not sure

OP
OP
A

auri33125

Forum Ride Along
I have another quick question... about the CPR training that's needed before starting the EMT program is that the "CPR/AED for Professional Rescuers?" I'm going to take it at the Red Cross is that ok? Just want to make sure I'm in the right path in starting this new career.

Thanks again

rescue1

Forum Asst. Chief
Yes, and you can take it anywhere as long as the instructor is certified.
I believe it's only good for a year though. The American Heart Association is two years.

I'm also very tired and could be horribly wrong.

Underoath87

Forum Asst. Chief
I've been told that nearly every employer wants CPR from the American Heart Association now.
I'd go with that to be safe. But a lot of EMT courses will cover that in the first weeks.