EMS in Denver?

gerobuch

Forum Ride Along
Hi,

I'll be moving to Denver soon. Any good EMS companies for EMT-Bs there? Plan's to start EMT-P early next year.

THanks,

Gerald

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Denver a very competitive system. They have a history of having an outstanding Paramedic program. Here is a link, as you can see that there is a BLS unit for non-emergencies http://www.denverems.org/bls.html

R/r911

Summit

Critical Crazy
DG runs "X-Ray" units... transporting BLS units... interfacility and downgraded 911s...

Other suburbs are covered by Pridemark which uses Bs on some BLS and mixed ALS/BLS units... I think Rural Metro runs interfacilities... FDs also cover 911 in some suburbs like Parker FD and West Metro FD...

... but it's hard to see things down there from high altitude ;)

What P program are you doing? SAC, Swedish, DG, or CCA?

Last edited by a moderator:

eggshen

Forum Lieutenant
There are two options in Denver for an EMT-B. Any metro area FD is a good start, pays well and is very difficult to get a job with, as are most FD's I am sure. I know some very qualified people that have been testing for a very long time. 's transport, some use private amb like AMR and so on for their transport requirements. Denver FD is BLS only. I would at no point recommend working for a private in the Denver metro area. They play second fiddle to the FD's in nearly all cases and get to do nursing homes and transfers the rest of the time (no thanks there). They also pay rather poorly, I mean like fast food poorly. The only other option is DG (Denver Health). The BLS pay is consideralbly more than any of the privates. The X-cars (BLS) typically work 4 10hr shifts as far as I know. They do run transfers but also alot of non-emergent 911 calls. They also are allowed to transport emergent (code 10) back to the hospital if it is quicker than calling ALS. As an EMT on the X-car you are almost gauranteed admission to the Denver Health Paramedic school and subsequent ALS job after successful completion of P school. DG is the sole provider in the City and County of Denver and runs somewhere around 70,000 calls anually for a pillow population of a little over 550,000. As far as their Parmedic school goes I think just like most things you get out what you put in. The greatest benefit-making it the best option-is that all 500hrs of your rides are done with DG. The other programs in the metro area do time with some FD's (Bad idea) and some time with privates (again more bad). When I went to P school we got to do 100hrs or so at DG and those were the best rides we did. No longer are any outside agencies doing rides there. That experience alone makes DG (in my opinion) the best option for P school. I hope I answered some of your questions, ryders link is a good place to start for info on DG. In the interest of eliminating confusion it used to be called DG (denver general) and is now DHMC (Denver Health medical Center) those of us that have been around awhile still call it DG as a form of mild protest and acknowledgement of the "good 'ole days". Sorry for such a loquacious response.

Egg

You will notice a bit of and embuggerance in the above post, my laptop is playing up and I am unable and unwilling to fix it just yet. I'll attempt to edit later so that it makes more sense when I am up to it.

eggshen

Forum Lieutenant
So I post what seems to be a decent amount of info regarding EMS in Denver and this guy never comes back? I should lied and told him AMR is where it's at.

Egg