EMS in Canada

OP
OP
Wingnut

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
TTLWHKR said:
I always wondered... What is the little keg for?

Rum. Everyone knows that!

emtff376

Forum Lieutenant
I thought it was brandy. Alcohol either way! yum...

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Wilderness EMS Teaches that alcohol isn't the best way to warm a patient, in the long run.

emtff376

Forum Lieutenant
true, but still yum...

Sera

Forum Probie
BEorP said:
Sorry to take so long to reply to this thread, I am a Paramedic student in Toronto and school keeps me very busy these days. Hopefully you're still considering the move, or at least someone else will find the info useful. I will do my best to let you know a bit about EMS in Ontario. Keep in mind that this info may not be entirely correct as it is all coming from the top of my head. If there is a point where details matter I can check it with someone who knows for sure.

In Ontario we have three levels of EMS providers (not including First Responders):
- Primary Care Paramedics: two year college education (although always open for debate, this is probably around the level of EMT-I)
- Advanced Care Paramedics: after getting work experience, an addition year of education (generally considered equivalent to your EMT-P)
- Critical Care Paramedics: more education after experience, mainly used in flight but Toronto may be using some for ground critical transfers but I'm really not sure

To put it bluntly, an EMT-B cert means nothing in Ontario and will not give you the ability to challenge the EMCA exams (the exams that you need to write to become a PCP).

If you are an EMT-P then equivalency has much more potential. Although it may take a bit of work, I know for sure that it has been done in the past... as long as you really do have the skills and knowledge of an ACP.

Almost ever single service is paid (I do not know of any volunteer services, but regulations regarding them are mentioned in the Ambulance Act). In the areas you would be looking to move (Southern Ontario or the GTA) the services will be paid for sure.

I believe the average hourly wage for a PCP in Ontario was around $28 CAD last year (don't quote me on that) so it is a decent wage, especially compared to what I have heard about EMS pay down south.

That's all I've got to say for now... if anyone else wants to know more I will try to actually check this thread in the near future, or you can PM me for me email

(i already posted this in a different threat but oh well :p)

primary care paramedic.. 2 years in Ontario?
Here (saskatchewan) the one I am taking this Monday..is only 20weeks..300 and some hours. wow I wonder if that's right?
the advanced care paramedic here is 2 years (and you have to have 1 year experience prior to taking the course)..
hmm

Kendall

Forum Lieutenant
Sera, Please see the other thread... Hopefully it will help! PM me if you have any more questions.

As for the dog-sleds... Keep dreaming! Canada, untrue to popular belief, is just as civilized and developed as the rest of the western world. I remind you that the ISS wouldn't be possible w/o a lovely peice of Canadian engineering :p. You'd also be out 14 astronaughts...

Myself, and others usually take offence when the stereo-type of living in igloos with no running water is put on us - We may live in igloos, but we've sure as hell have running water! :p JK, JK! ;)

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Kendall said:
but we've sure as hell have running water! :p JK, JK! ;)

Only during the spring thaw, right?

:p J/K

Kendall

Forum Lieutenant
Heh - we'll go with that.

Hey, just a random question - in the northern states, you don't see the Aurora Borealis, do you? In Edmonton, we get it every now and then in the summer months. Usually we only see green and blues, but the dancing waves of color are absolutely stunning!

If anyone visits Canada, they have to go to Newfoundland, Montreal, Ottawa (Toronto's overrated), Edmonton, Drumheller, Vancouver and Victoria. Amazing places!!! Although, that's about 3000km from coast to coast. I warn you NOT to drive it, it's quite unpleasant...

Last edited by a moderator:

gradygirl

TROUBLE
I've seen the Aurora Borealis while I was in Massachusetts. My friend acutally flew through it when she was flying out of Boston.

Another friend of mine is from Halifax, Nova Scotia, what's it like there?

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Kendall said:
Heh - we'll go with that.

Hey, just a random question - in the northern states, you don't see the Aurora Borealis, do you? In Edmonton, we get it every now and then in the summer months. Usually we only see green and blues, but the dancing waves of color are absolutely stunning!

If anyone visits Canada, they have to go to Newfoundland, Montreal, Ottawa (Toronto's overrated), Edmonton, Drumheller, Vancouver and Victoria. Amazing places!!! Although, that's about 3000km from coast to coast. I warn you NOT to drive it, it's quite unpleasant...

Let's see...I've seen the Aurora Borealis on several occasions while toodling off the coast of Canada and Alaska.

I've been to Victoria and Vancouver, and enjoyed myself both times.

Kendall

Forum Lieutenant
TCERT1987 said:
Another friend of mine is from Halifax, Nova Scotia, what's it like there?

In Edmonton or Halifax?

Edmonton - It's great! The climate is very temperate - going from needing A/C in the summer to -30C, but you get used to it (Rigs here run 24/7 if they aren't in a heated station). We have dozens of river valley parks and trails (which I'm currently doing SAR in. (www.findrobert.ca if you want info)), many, many attractions such as WEM (the LARGEST mall in North America :p), largest indoor wave pool in the world (in WEM), state of the art EMS, PD and rescue and home to Canada's national soccer team/stadium, and the largest outdoor stadium in North America with natural turf. There's so much more! www.edmonton.ca

Halifax - Never been... But I've heard it's nice, too!