EMS culture, your experience

spimx

Forum Crew Member
I started as a paramedic 11 years ago in a very urban environment and almost immediately worked as a critical care paramedic. I guess through cultural osmosis I became invested academically in progressive and critical care medicine. I also realized some of my old friends reacted to me differently and that I had become a real *******. I can remember going to an interview at Austin ems and some paramedic used a big word to describe the shape of his head like he is a PHD or something. I also suffered depression suicidal ideations during this time.

In the city I remember a girl saying that she liked the competitive environment of EMS. I don't think the culture that focuses on legitimacy and competition is productive at all. Too many paramedics in the city are just trying to prove their own legitimacy as a clinician more than focus on the community. This type of culture often leads to a punitive environment and poor self confidence and mental focus for especially new clinicians.

Later in life I moved to the Mexican border. EMS on the Mexican border is much more antiquated than it is far north. When I thought it was going to suck I realized that everyone was much kinder and the department way more cohesive and diplomatic than the urban EMS. My confidence skyrocketed. It was very refreshing to see real team work and providers try to mentor each other rather than a sink or swim environment. I also met several people who were Mexican doctors working as paramedics and none of them perpetuated legitimacy and competition like the paramedics up north.

While the standards of quality for EMS is probably higher for north from the border there are many things that function way better without the punitive environment and constant competition up north.

The thing I learned is that academics and practical prowess are best applied in a supportive and cohesive environment and that affects the community. I still love academics and training but now I equally respect perpetuating a positive culture. The negative of the cohesive and diplomatic EMS environment is that people may become complacent or a raging alcoholic and just get away with it because we are a family here and maybe they have kids or something.

Where are you and how is the culture? Are you a jack *** that constantly incriminates every one around you and spouts big words and clinical terminology in a competition with everyone around you. hahah jk dont ban me please

The Possum

Forum Crew Member
My experience at a large provider was it was like high school. A lot of cliques and many people would throw you under the bus if they felt that would benefit them. Maybe now that I am older, it would be better.