ems company overtime

keisuketak

Forum Ride Along
Hi I am in the hiring process with a 911 company here in so. cal and they start their attendants off at 8.50 and hour
with 3 12 hour shifts and the 2nd week 4 12 hour shifts.
my question is how does the over time work? do I get over time on anything over 40 a week or do i get OT on anything over 8 hours a day?

I am asking this because I am @ a private company making 13 an hour and this may greatly affect my monthly wages depending on the answer.

thank you guys ahead of time

JPINFV

Gadfly
For 12 hour shifts in California, you get time and a half after 8 hours in a shift, double time after 12 hours in a shift, and time and a half for anything over 40.

OP
OP
K

keisuketak

Forum Ride Along
appreciate your quick reply. this is a huge relief for me. i like your pic by the way haha

jgmedic

Fire Truck Driver
For 12 hour shifts in California, you get time and a half after 8 hours in a shift, double time after 12 hours in a shift, and time and a half for anything over 40.

If you are non-union, yes. I believe some AMR union shops have weird pay stuff in their contracts.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief

Wow that's not too bad. When I worked in NM we got time and a half for anything over forty a week, shift length didn't matter. Here in tx I get ot for anything over eighty six a pay period.

JPINFV

Gadfly
JT, I loved that style. What? You need me to stay over and run a few calls? For $20/hr? Sure thing!

One quick thing to note, though, is that 24 hour shifts can paid on a 40 hour week for overtime. Also they can do the entire "we won't pay you to sleep, so if you don't get a call, there goes 8 hours" thing, but I don't know of anyone who does that off the top of my head.

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
JT, I loved that style. What? You need me to stay over and run a few calls? For $20/hr? Sure thing!

One quick thing to note, though, is that 24 hour shifts can paid on a 40 hour week for overtime. Also they can do the entire "we won't pay you to sleep, so if you don't get a call, there goes 8 hours" thing, but I don't know of anyone who does that off the top of my head.

In SD Americare pays 16 for 24hr shift.

SoCal

Forum Crew Member
Depends on the company. Ask how the pay works as some companies only pay OT after 40 hrs a week so on your "A" week you will only make straight tme as you have only worked 36 hrs. Be careful moving though if you are making 13 an hr.

Most companies don't pay 24 out of 24 as stated above. Also making 4.50 less an hr s a big lifestyle change. Just remeber that as it is hard to comp. that. Also 9-1-1 n So.Cal is not all the glamor you see on tv. Most of the time you come in, get told to carry the pt. to the gurney by the medic, as they all stand and watch you, and then you get in the back of the rig they make you sit in the airway seat and keep your mouth shut, while your partner has to drive code 3 back to the hospital endangering everyone elses' life for something that isn't even life threatining and then you have to cut paper on every call. Not glamourus at all. :ph34r:

Just my .02$