EMS Career Prep

MedicObserver

Forum Probie
I am a sophomore in high school and am in the preliminary stages of prepering for a career in EMS. I have been talking to Paramedics and EMT's since I was in 7th grade. This past year I started riding in ALS units as a certified observer. I have logged 77 and a half hours riding in everything from Med. Duty Navistar units to a quick response unit in the form of a Chevy Tahoe 4x4. I want to take it a step further but don't know where to go next. I would like to fly with AirCare in a Medevac unit but I don't know if this would be do-able. I am already scheduled to work for the local ambulance service this summer stocking up each bus as it returns from a run. I have also been promised more ride time with a field director, so I can't wait. But, I keep thinking that there is more that I could be doing to get more experience. What do you suggest. I figured I'd ask you guys here because, well, you're the heroes that do this everyday. I am semi-religious and it is my belief that angels traded wings in for lights and sirens and became Paramedics and EMT's. I feel that this is how God wants me to serve; saving lives and making a difference in His name. Be safe out there; we need you.

Last edited by a moderator:

nomofica

Forum Asst. Chief
Next step is to go back to school and get your EMT-B cert, or you really won't get very far in EMS beyond the boy who restocks and goes on ridealongs.

zappa26

Forum Crew Member
I believe in most states you can get your First Responder at 16.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Best thing is to forget about EMS until after high school and focus on obtaining a good education and having some fun! Investigate into a good college education and find a accredited Paramedic program.

EMS will be there for you when you are ready as in being of physically, emotionally and having the proper educational background.

Although you maybe anxious, if you really feel like it is a calling but it that is so, it will be there for you when you are truly prepared.

R/r 911

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Be the best person you can be then it will be part of you.

(My daughter is two years older than you).

Please do not let the "drama of trauma" deflect you from school, relationships, and your family responsibilities. Your best prep to be a real asset to your patients and coworkers is to get your best grades in a challenging curriculum (no basket-weaving classes), then pursue your education in the field you choose at that time. Also, watch your weight and physical conditioning.

In the meantime, why not stay active as a volunteer, take the classes you can associated with work, as a CERT, or through Am Red Cross, vollie fire, etc.? Get a part time or seasonal job as a lifeguard, or part time job dispatching while in college.

AND...why not aim high? If this is to be your lifelong career, remember that field guys and gals are only as good as the injuries they expereince, one bad slip of a disc and you are out with little to show for it. Consider learning about management, leadership, dispatch, maybe even the money end of such operations. Then you can affect the lives of many more.

OP
OP
M

MedicObserver

Forum Probie
Thanks

Thanks for the advice, guys. I appreciate someone taking the time out of their busy schedule to help me out. I usually don't find someone who would talk to a high school student, so when someone does it means a lot to me. So far i have been able to balance everything out; I'm keeping up in school, getting my work done at home, and fulfilling all other responsibilities I have besides EMS. I still do not have the support of my mother; I don't think she really understands what I want to do or why I want to do it. She says that anyone who would risk their life to save someone else's is crazy. There is a song by Bryan Adams called "Never Let Go". That is like my favorite song- it is like the national anthem of EMS. Until we meet again; happy trails. Peace. EMS for life.

rjddvm

Forum Crew Member
I think it's great that you feel you have found your calling at such a young age! (This coming from someone who's old enough to be your mom, and if I were your mom, I'd be very proud of you! I hope your mom comes around to supporting your dreams. :) )

I second the idea of enjoying your HS years as much as possible! You have the rest of your life to work, so don't deprive yourself of some of the fun things and friendships that HS has to offer. You don't want to start burning out before you've even started. I've been through burnout in a career I went through eight years of education for, and it's not fun.

Also don't just "limit" yourself to EMS. If that's what you truly want to do, then great, and good luck! Just don't forget about other options in human health care out there.

Best wishes to you!

OP
OP
M

MedicObserver

Forum Probie
Thanks for the support and advice. Also, since it's Memorial Day, I want to say thank you for serving in EMS. Everyone thinks that Memorial Day is to honor those who served in the armed forces. It mostly is, but we also need to give thanks to all the response personnel who have lost their lives so that others' could be saved. As for the limiting myself to EMS, I am looking into maybe being an ER tech or flight medic later on. I don't know; I have always wanted to work in a position where I could make a difference and help someone else out. Everytime I see that a terrorist has killed hundreds of innocent people with a bomb or something other, I think "What has this world come to?" Then I realize that EMS is a chance to make a difference and set an example that there is still good in the world. As I said before, I think that God made EMT's and Paramedics to show the people of the world that He still loves all of us no matter how bad things get. I don't want to force religion on anyone here, but that's what I truly believe. If anyone else thinks so don't be afraid to say something. I am a strong believer in the motto "Every song has meaning if you can find it". If you ever get a chance to listen to "Hero" by Nickelback, listen to it and try to figure out the meaning. It is used sometimes in the Paramedic tribute movies on YouTube; I think it fits the EMS system to a tee. Until we chat again, happy trails. Be safe in the field; you never know when your last call will be.

Lights, Sirens, EMS!!! I LOVE IT!!!!!!

Fly-write

Forum Probie
Agree with Ridryder911

I think Ridryder911's advice on to your question hits the nail on the head.

I second Ridryder911's comments. :)

Fly-write

Tommerag

What day is it?
facepalm.jpg

CUjays34

Forum Probie
Dude!

Admiral ya want to do this at such a young age but forget it until you at least get out of HS!!!! You are just past the age of playing with toy ambulances. You need to get out and see all the world has to offer! Geez, if ya want to be in medicine this bad at this age, take organic, and physics and get a head start on the MD!!!!

CUjays34

Forum Probie
Admiral ya want to do this at such a young age but forget it until you at least get out of HS!!!! You are just past the age of playing with toy ambulances. You need to get out and see all the world has to offer! Geez, if ya want to be in medicine this bad at this age, take organic, and physics and get a head start on the MD!!!!

I meant admirable!!! :blush:

DillR

Forum Crew Member
In your shoes

Hey,
I am 17 about to finish up my basic class (woot!)

Its cool that you want to do this! If you act professionally and be respectful noone will think twice about how young you are, but you seem to think we always run l&s code three to a "good" call. It is not that way at all.

The only advice I can give you: study hard (especially science, biology), and get your basic cert when you feel comfortable with anatomy. Don't sweat the class, it really IS a glorified first aid course. You WILL see things that will make you want to vomit, so if you can't handle that be careful (I am not just talking about injuries either, the worst thing you will see is how poorly people treat other people.) Other than that have fun and learn all you can. And don't limit yourself! Keep studying! Emergency medicine is a great seguey (sp?) Into getting an MD.
Have fun, I will see you out there.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
We regret to inform you...

Sayeth DillR: Have fun, I will see you out there.

Not likely.

Dearest Fly-rite, Tommerag, CUjays34, and DillR, just a note, our estimable Medic Observer made a brief appearance on this planet about two years ago and has not returned since.

FYI each post has a date on it (upper left corner) and that might help you ascertain the amount of energy you want to expend helping or encouraging those of us who have passed on.

Tommerag

What day is it?
Not likely.

Dearest Fly-rite, Tommerag, CUjays34, and DillR, just a note, our estimable Medic Observer made a brief appearance on this planet about two years ago and has not returned since.

FYI each post has a date on it (upper left corner) and that might help you ascertain the amount of energy you want to expend helping or encouraging those of us who have passed on.

What do you think my facepalm was for? It wasnt for the OP, lol