Ems boots???

YCALR

Forum Crew Member
I just got hired onto an ambulance company and would like suggestions on the best boots to buy. Price isnt too much of a concern, I figure if theyre made well then they'll last. Any suggestions would be great. I would like them to be/have safety toe, blood-borne pathogen resistant, waterproof... thanks

OP
OP
Y

YCALR

Forum Crew Member
Thank you very much, i found another thread on boots. I should've searched before i made a new thread lol. Thanks for the reply tgough i will look into them.

OP
OP
Y

YCALR

Forum Crew Member
:p Haha yea I didn't even remember the search option until after i posted. Thanks for not being rude either, I've seen people be extremely rude for repeated posts, its not that big of a deal lol.

dixie_flatline

Forum Captain
Can we create a sticky and place the following links in it?

http://emtlife.com/showthread.php?t=20619&highlight=boots
lots of links
http://emtlife.com/showthread.php?t=2356&highlight=boots

Not a knock on you, YCALR. I'm glad you decided to search. :)

This thread should obviously have gone in the appropriate equipment-related subforum, but anyways. It got me thinking. Maybe the following deserves its own post, but here goes. Commence braindump:

The same thing comes up repeatedly with 2 main topics (and several others, with less frequency): boots and stethoscopes. Creating a sticky is a fair idea, but I'm not sure it will really solve the problem. There are a couple issues at play here. First, people are lazy (myself included). A lot of these older threads are many pages long, with a huge number of redundant/repeated posts. Every steth thread mentions the Ultrascope, there's always debate about Littmanns, etc. It's usually easier and quicker for a user to repost an old topic and get a response than to go searching through old threads.

Additionally, as I just stated, a lot of the threads are just that - old. There is no real way to keep links current or redact information that is no longer relevant (i.e., when a popular boot is discontinued) other than creating new threads/posts. The stethoscope sticky alone would probably be a dozen pages before it was a month old (which feeds back into the first problem regarding too much clutter to sift through to get actual answers).

A better solution than a sticky might be some kind of in-house wiki or dedicated page. Have a mod/CL pool together information and be responsible for keeping it up to date. At best, you would need a short paragraph for each item, and maybe a link or two. A few esteemed forum members (medicRob, for example) could submit reviews and such. Relevant questions could be pruned from other threads and pulled in, as simple Q + As (omitting the 3 pages of inside jokes, +1s, and trolling). That way, there is one central, always updated place that a user can go looking for information on boots/steths/pants/whatever.

Hell, maybe you'll even be able to get vendors to start sending you equipment samples to review. I'm not aware of too many sites that do reviews of this stuff, and certainly none focused on use by pre-hospital providers.

Last edited by a moderator: