EMS Apprenticeship

Jacob Horrell

Forum Ride Along
I am a Fire/EMS Explorer (EMS Focused) in NH, and I have a few questions about preparation for ride times and field training.

1. Should I start collecting the proper apparel?

2. What will I mostly see in regards to calls?

3. How involved will I potentially be? (I was told that I may be doing BLS level CPR but I doubt they would let a 16 y/o with a paper certification to do compressions on a pt)

Flying

Mostly Ignorant
1. First ask your dept. if they provide uniforms. Search for threads regarding proper clothing in these forums as we have many of them.
2. Ask your dept. This is area-dependent.

3. Ask your de- As you're new to the field, no sensible person should expect you to assist in stressful situations. If you can learn under fire and perform when asked to, that's appreciated. However, don't push yourself into any situation that makes you uncomfortable, verbalize these concerns.

As for people in cardiac arrest, some may see this as a training opportunity for you, don't think that your age or the perceived legitimacy of your CPR certification (EMT and paramedic certifications are printed on the same paper) will stop them from asking you to do compressions on a dead body.

Oh, and welcome to the forums. Hope you stick around, there's a lot to learn.

Last edited:

SeeNoMore

Old and Crappy
I have no doubt you will be allowed to do CPR. It's not rocket science (though effective CPR is certainly of vital importance.)

Regarding the types of calls you will see, my experience with rural areas in the northeast has been varied. Generally I did not see much in the way of shootings and stabbings, but there were areas with plenty of overdoes, assaults and high speed MVCs (especially in small economically depressed towns/cities). Given your transport times may be quite long, you will likely have an opportunity to see providers work for longer than the few minute time span common in high volume urban systems.

Good Luck.

OP
OP
J

Jacob Horrell

Forum Ride Along
Thanks to all who have posted and answered my q's, today was my first apprenticeship ride time, and I have clarified with my unit that I am qualified and "more than welcome" to perform CPR, take BP, Pulse, and administer epinephrine. Didn't see too much on my first day, had to lift a bariatric back into his cot, respond to a walk-in with an allergic reaction, and unfortunately lost a life before arriving on scene due to a self-inflicted GSW.