EMS (and Fire) Images to Share

karaya

EMS Paparazzi
Premium Member
Thought I would share a few photos that have not been posted on my web site yet. Appreciate you thoughts and comments! I've added a little detail to each image as well.

Wilton_3_web.jpg

This was photographed in Wilton, New York at a Wal-Mart store on "black Friday". A store employee fell off a ladder in the electronics department suffering minor injuries. I shot this at a low angle using a Nikon 12-24mm wide angle lens. This angle allows the eye to be drawn to the medics from the feet of the patient. No flash was used since the store lighting was adequate and I did not want to draw attention to the camera.

Wilton_4_web.jpg

This is the same patient as in the above image from the Wal-Mart store. Here a Wilton (New York) EMS paramedic obtains vitals. Again, this was shot with a Nikon 12-24mm wide angle lens. This time I used flash to fill in some of the shadows by bouncing my Nikon SB-800 speed light off the ceiling of the ambulance. Using a slow shutter speed allows the existing light in the ambulance to work into the image as well and you really cannot tell a flash was used to augment the existing light.

DSC_9287_web.jpg

Crashing his car into the median on highway 70 in Missouri, this patient was briefly trapped until firefighter/paramedics extricated him. I think this is an excellent example of medic-rescuer/patient interaction which illustrates their care to the patient as they knell in the snow and carefully remove the patient from the vehicle.

D20_0168_web.jpg

This is one of the few fire photos that I take. Not that there is anything wrong with fire photographs, its just that there are so many of them and my real love is to capture medics interacting with their patients.

This is a river home along the Mississippi river in Missouri going up in flames. I got on the scene fairly quick and was able to capture these two firemen cooling off a propane tank just outside the frame on the left. The house was collapsing at this point and part of the collapse caught their attention when I took this image. I used a Nikon 70-200 2.8 VR lens on one of my Nikon D200 bodies for this image. I used the lens at the 200mm setting to compress the flames with the firemen to give a more dramatic feel.

EMTrigger

Forum Probie
Amazing looking photos. What takes you to New York?

OP
OP
karaya

karaya

EMS Paparazzi
Premium Member
My daughter's grandparents live up there, but for me it's been business. I ride with several EMS providers up there for my publishers. Thanks for the compliment!

enjoynz

Lady Enjoynz
Very clear and well taking photo's.
Thanks for sharing.

Cheers Enjoynz

Pittsburgh Proud

Forum Lieutenant
Excellent pictures very well done. How does that work to you get a release signed afterwards ?
Very crisp and clean photo's.B)

OP
OP
karaya

karaya

EMS Paparazzi
Premium Member
Thanks for your compliment!

The only images out of this series that I obtained a release for are the ones taken of the Wal-Mart employee since some of those were shot in the back of the ambulance whereby you can see near full face images. I obtained a signed release from him at the ER (ED) which is where I obtain 90% of my releases. Others I obtain from the patient at a later date.

The highway 70 image of the man being removed from the car did not require a release since in the image there is not a fully unidentifiable face.

Pittsburgh Proud

Forum Lieutenant
Thanks for your compliment!

The only images out of this series that I obtained a release for are the ones taken of the Wal-Mart employee since some of those were shot in the back of the ambulance whereby you can see near full face images. I obtained a signed release from him at the ER (ED) which is where I obtain 90% of my releases. Others I obtain from the patient at a later date.

The highway 70 image of the man being removed from the car did not require a release since in the image there is not a fully unidentifiable face.

Tanks for the input, I'm in the sign industry and ya never know when someone might want a poster for training or something like that and I like to use my own stuff (local) I figured that about releases. B)

OP
OP
karaya

karaya

EMS Paparazzi
Premium Member
Tanks for the input, I'm in the sign industry and ya never know when someone might want a poster for training or something like that and I like to use my own stuff (local) I figured that about releases. B)

The nice thing about photo releases is even if you don't need one, getting one opens the door for commercial use as well.

AZFF/EMT

Forum Lieutenant
The fire photo is interesting to me because the guys are from two different departments. Lt. has an MSA pack on and a newer style helmet, while the firefighter has a traditional helmet and a scott pack, and the Lt. is in the front of the hoseline with the firefighter backing him up.

OP
OP
karaya

karaya

EMS Paparazzi
Premium Member
The fire photo is interesting to me because the guys are from two different departments. Lt. has an MSA pack on and a newer style helmet, while the firefighter has a traditional helmet and a scott pack, and the Lt. is in the front of the hoseline with the firefighter backing him up.

I was wondering if someone would notice that. The Lt. is a volunteer firefighter from the first in department while the "private" is a professional firefighter (notice the IAFF logo on his helmet) assisting on a mutual aid response.