EMR ACP Test This Friday

InsidiousStealth

Forum Crew Member
Hello I am taking my EMR ACP test this friday in alberta and was wondering if anyone else took it and their experiences on it? I have heard mixed things about it. I have heard the writtens not bad and the practical isnt bad either but I have also heard that they put questions on your exams that have not been taught in your class as well and this worries me.

I have studed my "continuing competancy modules" for EMR and my class material pretty thoroughly and hope this is enough to guarantee a pass?

Any Experiences would be great if they were shared thank you !

nomofica

Forum Asst. Chief
Remember: they will never test you on something that is not a part of the EMR course. As you should have picked up on during your course, it is not like high school or anything of the equivalent in terms of material delivery. 75% in class and 25% of it is your own reading, studying and practicing. I don't mean to sound entirely cynical, but if you don't know the material on the test it is your own fault.

Use verbal diarrhea when explaining what you are doing during your practical testing. Be confident (believe me, they pick up on it). You will either be faced with a trauma or medical scenario. Remember your available drugs, and remember their routes of administration, dosages and even the dosages the drug is available in (ie. two 81mg tablets of ASA for a total dosage of 162mg of ASA if the patient is experiencing chest pains - however it is not needed if the patient takes aspirin on a daily basis and had taken his/her pills that morning, but at the same time there are no contraindications and giving the pt ASA will not have any adverse effects).

If you'd like, I do have a copy of the scenario outline used by the ACP examiners at the EMR level. PM me for the outline.

OP
OP
I

InsidiousStealth

Forum Crew Member
hey there, Thanks for the response. I have been studying like crazy for it and printed off 3 quizes for each topic from SAIT and know almost all the answers from them as well as from the exams i printed too.

I just read some stories where there were questions on their tests that were out of their scope of practice.

As for my studying i have extensively studied the gap training modules for EMR as well and made flash cards out of them. I even made flash cards for random terms i had never heard of on one of their practice exams that i had acquired from an ACP review class

Is this enough? I haven't really studied the acts though but was thinking about just looking over what they are in the jurisprudence manual today. Are there extensive questions on them as well?

Thanks for the response once again hope to hear back from you

nomofica

Forum Asst. Chief
hey there, Thanks for the response. I have been studying like crazy for it and printed off 3 quizes for each topic from SAIT and know almost all the answers from them as well as from the exams i printed too.

I just read some stories where there were questions on their tests that were out of their scope of practice.

As for my studying i have extensively studied the gap training modules for EMR as well and made flash cards out of them. I even made flash cards for random terms i had never heard of on one of their practice exams that i had acquired from an ACP review class

Is this enough? I haven't really studied the acts though but was thinking about just looking over what they are in the jurisprudence manual today. Are there extensive questions on them as well?

Thanks for the response once again hope to hear back from you

They will most likely throw in a question or two regarding acts, but they will never question you on something you cannot do; they are not there to trick you. Sure, they may suggest or allude to something that is out of your scope in an obscure way (read the way it's written!) - ie. assist a patient with administering an EpiPen for anaphylaxis vs administering Epi to an anaphylactic patient (EMRs can only assist - the patient's fingers MUST be on the Epi-pen).

It seems like you're fairly well prepared.

OP
OP
I

InsidiousStealth

Forum Crew Member
Thanks for the words of encouragement.

I am just nervous about it also because I seriously have almost no money right now because i dont have a job and if i fail this and have to rewrite I am going to have to study for a rewrite while I am working which will be super stressful.

Thanks again for the advice of carefully reading over the questions too.

Im also in a bit of a jam on one small part...My Gap training module says ASA is a trade name and at SAIT they had a question on that ACP review exam that asked if it was a trade name or a generic name and the answer was wrong because it said that it was a generic name and i e-mailed them about it and they said that it is "Definitely not a trade name its a generic name" Do you know?? lol

nomofica

Forum Asst. Chief
A trade name is a name that is commonly referred to when talking about drugs (Tylenol, Aspirin, Bayer's, etc). A generic name is simply that; generic and not trademarked (acetaminophen, ASA/acetylsalicylic acid, etc).

OP
OP
I

InsidiousStealth

Forum Crew Member
Well that was the most stressful week of my life....

On the written I didnt answer about 12 questions cause i didnt know for sure
and there were about 8 or 9 that where i wasnt fully sure of the answers

after talking with my friend who wrote it I made a couple mistakes and so did he so its gonna be really really close

But i'm like 65-70 percent sure i passed cause the ones i left blank [the 12] I answered about 3 or 4 correctly afterward

So i'm gonna be on the edge for awhile lol How long til you got your exam results?

As for the Practical I failed the first time because I had a trauma and I put a towel under his head [I was taught this in class] and i forgot to put headblocks on [also BARELY talked about in class and forgot about it] Needless to say I was pretty upset.

HOWEVER I passed the second day on another trauma although it was SO sketchy and i was so nervous cause last kick at the can right? I did a modified jaw thrust on the patient even though they were verbally responsive cause i was thinking that the EMR holding c - spine did that and didnt think properly and she prompted me not to do it and I did it anyways and she prompted me again at the chest saying hes having problems telling me if he has pain or not cause i have a modified jaw thrust so i told the EMR doing it to stop.

THEN in the ambulance they told me he had a history of asthma but i didnt see any signs of it so i was trippin out whether or not to ask to assist ventolin or not but there were none so i didnt so i was freaking out thinking I failed for that but ended up passing whooooo

What a week

Last edited by a moderator:

sunnykhw

Forum Ride Along
Taking a test

Hi
i am taking an ACP test soon in February 2011 and i was just wondering if you have an advice for me.