Emergency Vehicle Operations

WLSC2008

Forum Crew Member
Everyone,
In the state of WV I not only have to take an approved EMT-B class pass both the practical exam and the NREMT-B test but also take an EVOC Class. I am not a bad driver but just nervous about the class.
I talked to a friend who took the class in our area and he had to drive a ladder truck. I guess they are thinking that if you can drive a fire truck you can drive an ambulance.

Got any thoughts, tips, or suggestions before I take this class?

Thanks!

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Was the dept/agency that he worked for both fire and EMS?

If you're just an ambulance agency I don't see why you need to test on a ladder truck. :confused:

OP
OP
WLSC2008

WLSC2008

Forum Crew Member
Was the dept/agency that he worked for both fire and EMS?

If you're just an ambulance agency I don't see why you need to test on a ladder truck. :confused:

He is a volunteer FF but he took his at our Upper Ohio Valley Fire Rescue School which according to him to attend you have to be affiliated with a fire department. I think the insturctor of the class affilates you with his department just enough to be able to go take the class. So maybe that is why? Chimpie, it did not really make sense to me either.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
If the agency has dual affiliations, in the event of an MCI or low turn out call, it would be nice if all volunteers were capable of driving all the rigs that may be needed. We have to certify to drive every rig in our yard. The best time was driving a full tender to a wildfire.... Wheeeeeeeee!