Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) Preparation@UCLA

PHILIPPOFLOSANGELES

Forum Ride Along
Just for information, i just finished the EMT preparation classes at UCLA, 16hours, $95....and frankly it worth the money ! (highly professional teachers)

OP
OP
P

PHILIPPOFLOSANGELES

Forum Ride Along
This is an initiation for the people, who are not involved in the Medical field with basic science and medical terminology,and who want to work as a nurse or in an ambulance for example. The 3 differents teachers were great and professional ( they also working in the emergency field)

JPINFV

Gadfly
$95 for a prospectus and a little time on google?

...a fool and his money...

What I find funny is everyone's hard-on for a medical terminology course. Yea, I don't think I've seen a medical school that requires a separate med terms course.

OP
OP
P

PHILIPPOFLOSANGELES

Forum Ride Along
LondonMedic, it's just my opinion about these courses and i want to give my point of view to the newbie like me looking for an EMT classes, that all ! thank you for your answer!

systemet

Forum Asst. Chief
What I find funny is everyone's hard-on for a medical terminology course. Yea, I don't think I've seen a medical school that requires a separate med terms course.

I doubt it's necessary for med school, as you probably have enough time to learn the physiology/pathophysiology of the various organ systems in detail, and the academic standard is held to a high enough level, that you're simply expected to use standard terminology.

I had to take an 80 hour medical terminology course as part of paramedic school. I remember thinking -- "Great! This is a waste of time, I could be learning about critical care". But I actually ended up finding it very valuable. It was even useful when I went on to do my BSc later.

For a paramedic (or EMT) program, where the training time is very short, I think if you teach your students the derivations of common prefixs, suffixes and root terms, it gives them a better ability to read literature directed at a higher target level of education.

Just an opinion. Anyway, if it was me, and I wanted to learn more about medical terminology, I'd probably buy some index/cue cards, and a book like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Medical-Termi...5185/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1315887968&sr=8-1