Emergency management and homeland security

BOSlife

Forum Crew Member
Hello everyone,

I am new to the community but just wanted to see how many EMT/B/P are also involved in emergency management/disaster preparedness. I currently am an EMT-B and an undergraduate student at UCF with a minor in EM&HS. What kind of opportunities are in the field? I am going to paramedic school when I graduate. From there I want to get experience in the EMS field as a paramedic and then enter a graduate program for either Emergency mangagement or a PA program.

Any medics out there that went for a masters? school plans? advice for starting an ems career?

I appreciate it! :cool:

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I am currently finishing up a BS in public safety administration program. I am working away at it online a class at a time, only 4 or 5 classes left. I have an AAS in EMS already and have been a medic for 5 years. For me it will help with promotion or transitioning into another government department where First responder experience with FEMA/EMO/Emergency preparedness is required. I am Canadian but my wife is American and wants to move back to the US in a few years. If/when that happens the degree will open up more jobs for me as it can be very difficult to walk into a good ems job in some areas. I am also considering finishing my BSN (I already have done 2.5 years) or do PA if we move to the US. I love being a Medic and if I stay in Canada will continue from Advanced Paramedic to Critical Care which will be 1-2 more years back in Medic school.

OP
OP
B

BOSlife

Forum Crew Member
Is public safety administration similar to emergency management? I know both encompass a lot more than EMS. It sounds to me you enjoy the field of EMS as much as I do and are looking for opportunites beyond (PA school or BSN). Have you considered MPA programs or MS in Emergency management? I want to eventually work in an administrative or academic setting rather than clinical but I am looking forward to working in EMS.

Jambi

Forum Deputy Chief
I am just finishing my last class for my BA in Emergency and Disaster Management, and I have my first application out from an Emergency Services Coordinator. There are tie-ins to EMS, but only in the sense that EMS provides a service to the public and participates during response phases (and sometimes recovery, etc).

This is where I'm getting my BA from: AMU

They also have Homeland Security offerings.

I've been happy with the school and the program, but it's been more work than a traditional in-class program because of the need for writing instead of sitting in a chair in class, but it's not been bad.

The school also offers MPA degrees with emergency management concentrations.

OP
OP
B

BOSlife

Forum Crew Member
Jambi, what exactly have you done in EMS? I'm really still deciding whether to stick to the clinical and 'response' side of emergency management that is why I'm still considering PA after I gain experience as a medic.. im aware of a PA program in Washington, MEDEX NW that offers a program for paramedics phasing into a PA role with the right education background. I would like to specialize in ambulatory care if there is a special residency for PAs in emergency medicine. Is there anything strictly on the EMS side of emergency management that only requires a bachelors to find work? (maybe Fema/red cross work?)

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Is public safety administration similar to emergency management? I know both encompass a lot more than EMS. It sounds to me you enjoy the field of EMS as much as I do and are looking for opportunites beyond (PA school or BSN). Have you considered MPA programs or MS in Emergency management? I want to eventually work in an administrative or academic setting rather than clinical but I am looking forward to working in EMS.

A lot of the classes are disaster/emergency management themed. With business/administration/leadership classes as well. The program is designed for current ems,fire,Leo and all the instructors are fire medics/ or Leo with advanced degrees that actually work at the local/county/ state level (in emergency management/coordination)

I love being a Medic and will stay on the clinical side for as long as I can. I may transition into the hospital in a few years though(advanced and critical care medics can work in the er/icu in certain areas.... with full scope)

I will only go on to pa or nursing if I move to the us, for a variety of reasons.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jambi

Forum Deputy Chief
Jambi, what exactly have you done in EMS? I'm really still deciding whether to stick to the clinical and 'response' side of emergency management that is why I'm still considering PA after I gain experience as a medic.. im aware of a PA program in Washington, MEDEX NW that offers a program for paramedics phasing into a PA role with the right education background. I would like to specialize in ambulatory care if there is a special residency for PAs in emergency medicine. Is there anything strictly on the EMS side of emergency management that only requires a bachelors to find work? (maybe Fema/red cross work?)

I've been an EMT since 99, and have recently become a paramedic. I've also been involved with EMS education for the last 10 years.

I've heard MEDEX is a very good PA program.

Everything else, as far as opportunities for medics or folks with degrees, is just my opinion, but it's going to come down to what you make of it. There are no roles for paramedics in these avenues that I know of, but would provide relevant experience to bolster a resume with an appropriate degree. For such things, RN would be more useful I believe.

Now as a PA, RN, NP, MD/DO, or as a holder of a relevant degree MPA, MPH, etc., there would be opportunity for local, state, and federal roles.

The Health Service Commissioned Corps has opportunities for Nurses, PA's, and holders of a MPH. Nothing is available for paramedics...

For admin roles I would think a MPA, MPH, or masters focused in emergency management or homeland security would prove useful.

With that said, the emergency services coordinator did not require a BA to apply, only relevant experience, and I was told that the county really wanted a paramedic because the position will be coordinating ALS providers in the county into the larger response framework.