Emergency ambulance service

wtferick

Forum Captain
Finally turn 21 and really interested to join the company since I was 19. Any tips guys? Other than applying lol anything this company specifically looks for?

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
Finally turn 21 and really interested to join the company since I was 19. Any tips guys? Other than applying lol anything this company specifically looks for?
In OC? Why EMERGENCY? From what I know of them, they are a nothing special operation.

OP
OP
wtferick

wtferick

Forum Captain
In OC? Why EMERGENCY? From what I know of them, they are a nothing special operation.
Something about emergency man idk haha it's been a company I've been dying to work for lol

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
Something about emergency man idk haha it's been a company I've been dying to work for lol
Do they do anything cool? I always thought they were a small shady company. I've only ever seen them at crappy SNFs

OP
OP
wtferick

wtferick

Forum Captain
Do they do anything cool? I always thought they were a small shady company. I've only ever seen them at crappy SNFs
I mean they have regular cct bls ift 911. I really like small companies aswell. Makes it just a little easier to reach the person I need to reach.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
If I lived in OC its a no brainer. I would apply at Care. If I didn't really care where I worked I would apply at Hall in Kern Co.

OP
OP
wtferick

wtferick

Forum Captain
If I lived in OC its a no brainer. I would apply at Care. If I didn't really care where I worked I would apply at Hall in Kern Co.
Not really wanting to float around. But other than that yes I would work at hall. Hands down. I am just not ready to actually move out towards that area at the moment.

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
My only problem with Care, (and most OC/LA companies) is if you ever want to be a Paramedic you'll have to get a new job. And those companies know that, and they plan for turnover. In my book, that's no way to plan.

CALEMT

My only problem with Care, (and most OC/LA companies) is if you ever want to be a Paramedic you'll have to get a new job. And those companies know that, and they plan for turnover. In my book, that's no way to plan.

This why Hall is so popular, because they put in the time and effort to keep their employees employed with their company.

Reactions: NPO
OP
OP
wtferick

wtferick

Forum Captain
That is why I am hoping to get a job at EAS then hid over to medic school. Just don't have the finances to move out at the moment.

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
This why Hall is so popular, because they put in the time and effort to keep their employees employed with their company.
As a Hall sponsored paramedic student, I know. [emoji4]

But even for people who don't get sponsored, places like AMR at least let you move up. No chance at Care. I don't like jumping around job to job.

CALEMT

Thats right I forgot you work there haha. Yeah AMR ain't great but it ain't bad. No where near the pay of a fire dept. not even close to the forest service but you can move up and you do get raises with x many years of service. Is it a career place? Can be, some people do that but its not my goals. I eventually want to work for a FD. Hall is a career company from what I've heard.

OP
OP
wtferick

wtferick

Forum Captain
Yeah my plan is to work at hall and hopefully end on the medevac team. One can dream

deadhead

Forum Crew Member
Look us up on the Web. We've been around for almost 37 years. Pretty hard for a "small shady company" to stay in business that long. Just consider we have more experience providing services in organized EMS systems than any other family-owned and operate provider in OC, and we have been providing 911 service the entire time. EAS is an organization that keeps its commitments, is responsive, fair to employees, clinically excellent, stable, aand with a proven track record. There's nothing shady about that.

deadhead

Forum Crew Member
Thank you for your interest in our company. We have EMT positions posted and would be interested in accepting your application. I'd suggest you go to our website and review the EMT requirements listed under the career tab. Basically, we are seeking personable, detail oriented EMTs with exceptional people and customer service skills. We train our employees so no prior 911 experience is needed. However, we do have requirements for our dedicated fire units so there are no direct hires to those positions.

CALEMT

and we have been providing 911 service the entire time.
However, we do have requirements for our dedicated fire units so there are no direct hires to those positions.

Not trying to bash your company, but I don't know much of OC. I thought Care had 911 on lock down in OC, please excuse my ignorance.

Also when you speak of dedicated fire units, do you mean your company ambulance thats quartered in a active fire station that responds with the engine? For example: Engine 1 and EAS medic 1. Or do you mean that you have an "ambulance station" thats an old fire station that the city no longer uses.

deadhead

Forum Crew Member
CALEMT thanks! There is a general misconception that Care has locked down this County. They're big and powerful, and frankly - a good company. But there are still independent providers out there. We're still kicking having retained Region A and we have been Brea's provider for 36 years, operating under Sect. 224 "grandfather" provisions. Doctor's is still the provider for Laguna Beach and Shoreline has the staffing contract for Westminster, so Care isn't the only game in town. Re stations - We don't co-locate with fire crews in our area, dissimilar to Care who is in-house in Anaheim, Fullerton and a couple of other areas I believe. Reason is that the idea has not been particularly well received by the FFs at our area agencies. And, we don't see any reason to rock the boat. If they wanted us in-house we'd be there. At our company a dedicated unit is one solely assigned to 911 response - no IFTs. That said, all of our crews are given the opportunity to respond to 911 calls.

CALEMT

Thanks for clearing that up. While I'm not going to touch LACo or OC with a 10 foot pole (I'm happy in REMS) I know theres probably someone "lurking" on this thread that will sooner or later ask those questions.

OP
OP
wtferick

wtferick

Forum Captain
Thank you for your interest in our company. We have EMT positions posted and would be interested in accepting your application. I'd suggest you go to our website and review the EMT requirements listed under the career tab. Basically, we are seeking personable, detail oriented EMTs with exceptional people and customer service skills. We train our employees so no prior 911 experience is needed. However, we do have requirements for our dedicated fire units so there are no direct hires to those positions.
Thank you very much. Plan on applying as soon as I renew my EMT.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
@wtferick Any updates about working for EAS? With my apps at others closer to home not going anywhere at the moment I'm starting to look into OC (I'm not in a position myself to move up to Bakersfield yet myself, even Laguna Beach for Doctors is a bit far). Whats the pay like? How many IFT vs Fire units do they have, and how hard is it for a new employee to get onto a Fire unit? (I.e. Care says new EMTs can expect to be on an IFT unit for 3-6 months before getting enough seniority for a Fire shift) and for the non dedicated Fire units, whats the ratio of IFT to 911 calls? What are the shift lengths (2x24hrs, 4x10hrs, 3/4x12?) Paid all 24 hours (I know there's some companies out there that exploit loopholes so they only pay for 16 out of 24 hours) Relationship with Brea FD and OCFA? Is it automatic code 2 responses while fire goes code 3 and then only wants you to push the gurney? Prospects for part time to go to medic school in the future? Overtime availability? I'm sure I can think of a few more :p