Emd

TheAfterAffect

Forum Lieutenant
Maybe someone can give me a hand here, I want to give being an Emergency Medical Dispatcher a try. But the thing is, I want to try and make a living out of EMS, Is it possible to make a Living as an EMD? I already am working for a paid EMS Company as an EMT and am volunteering as an EMT for my town. I would like to go for my Paramedic a ways down the road, But just want to figure out if its possible to make a living in EMS as an EMT/EMD?

And If so, what are the requirements in NJ to be an EMD if anyone knows.

teammedic

Forum Probie
I dont know about NJ but in Pittsburgh EMDs make a pretty good wage. Private services pay better than county but needless emd make alot more than just emts. but that is still just a stepping stone in EMS. I hope you Become a good medic. And who knows maybe even a PHRN.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
I don't know how it is where you are, but I have a good friend who does dispatch and gets paid up the you-know-what. He won't tell me exactly how much he makes, but I know it's around or over $20/hour.

I was considering being a dispatcher while I get my pre-reqs done for nursing school because I could do homework when it's quiet, so I've looked around at a few offers and the pay is good all around.

However, my friend hates his job. He's the type of person who cannot stand sitting at a desk for hours, and I think many people in EMS are the same way. This is something you should probably consider before jumping in.

He says he loves talking to the crazy people though.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
it depends on what you consider "making a living" and where you live. dispatchers(who just dispatch) in my area make around 15-20/hr depending on who they work for. while that's not a bad wage, it would be tough to make ends meet up here if you have a family, a house, cars etc. a bachelor in an apartment outside the city wouldn't be that bad.

certguy

Forum Captain
I worked as a dispatcher for 6 months and found it just wasn't for me . I was climbing the walls and transfered to the field , which I really enjoyed .

I dispatched for our company during 2 major incidents , the bull ring collapse in Tecate , Mexico ( we sent several units over the border to assist ) , and the Normal HTS. wildfire in San Diego . I did my job well , but my heart was in the field .