Education tools for red patch?

BADDLEGG

Forum Probie
Any advice on additional tools to help aid in my quest for a red patch? I am currently entering the second semester of my paramedic school. My school does not have the greatest success precentage for the national registry. I attribute alot to the laziness of students and lack of effort. I was just wondering if you had any ideas for extra help (DVD'S, books, magazines, cd roms or apps)? I will start doing practice tests as well.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
You think everyone else fails because they are lazy, unmotivated, or stupid?

It sounds to me like the school sucks.

Tip for success: Get your money back and go somewhere else.

OP
OP
B

BADDLEGG

Forum Probie
First off, sorry if I made it seem like broad sweeping comments, not my intention. Second, I never said "everyone else" and the only reason people fail is due to laziness. I meant about the people I see at my school who sleep in class, dont read the books, self admit to not studing at all, and when the teacher gives us a review ,and then gives us a test that is word for word the review, people still get 40's, 50's and fail! Finally, I never used the words unmotivated or stupid. Again sorry if you misunderstood my post. The teacher and other medics that have passed national registry and are pretty good medics agree, stating, the students fail due to a lack of effort.

sir.shocksalot

Forum Captain
Your best bet is to read the textbook. NREMT is not a secret mystical test where only the lucky pass. Pretty much every paramedic textbook written is to prepare you for the NREMT (not that that's all that they are good for). Browse through the forums, numerous people have struggled through the exams and have reported tips here.

My personal recommendation: pharm, OB and peds. People normally struggle through these topics and they are often not covered in sufficient depth by a lot of paramedic programs. Most schools teach the drug formulary of the local agencies, but NREMT doesn't know or care where you will be working, you'll be expected to know every drug written in your paramedic textbook. I don't mean just their names either, while I've seen some programs teach "amiodarone is your second drug in cardiac arrest", NREMT will expect you know what class anti-arrythmic it is, dose, route, MOI, everything. Even for stuff you probably can't give, like labetalol and mannitol.

I think OB and peds just simply gets glossed over because many instructors don't know, or understand it themselves or, like me, are male and have a difficult time caring what the placenta is doing in the 2nd trimester. If it were up to me every patient that said "I'm pregnant" I would simply toss up my hands and find a nearby female. Alas, there are none to be found, barring the patient.

Oh and the best advice: relax. Many people defeat themselves before the exam even starts. You get, like, 4 tries before you need to take a refresher or something silly. 7 total attempts I think. Don't psych yourself out before you sit in front of the computer.

Also, low passing rates are rarely the faults of the students. Good schools have good passing rates. Period.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
I think OB and peds just simply gets glossed over because many instructors don't know, or understand it themselves or, like me, are male and have a difficult time caring what the placenta is doing in the 2nd trimester. If it were up to me every patient that said "I'm pregnant" I would simply toss up my hands and find a nearby female. Alas, there are none to be found, barring the patient.

I think you would be surprised how little most women know about gynecology.

It is often believed that since they are female they understand how they work. Nothing could be farther from the truth.