Education after paramedic.

twnshpfireman3417

Forum Probie
Hi everybody. So I have been on here reading for a while but really never posted anything. I just finished medic school and am getting ready to start my first EMS job. I was just wondering what would be a good way to reinforce and continue my education so I don't forget the stuff I already learned and to better myself for the sake of my pt. I am looking for stuff I can read or study in my free time without going back to college also stuff besides the obvious CEU's which i already plan on doing.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Might as well do the CE's as you're going to need them anyhow, and there's no limit to how many you can do.

Why not go back to school? Some college courses count as CE's as well.

Otherwise Google and the library are your best friends.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Kansas?

Did you get an Associates degree for your Paramedic?

Or, how many credit hours at the college did it take to get your Paramedic?

OP
OP
T

twnshpfireman3417

Forum Probie
Kansas?

Did you get an Associates degree for your Paramedic?

Or, how many credit hours at the college did it take to get your Paramedic?

Yes Kansas requires a associates degree in order to obtain your paramedic cert. i would have to check but with prerequisite and everything i believe it is between 64 and 65 credit hours.

And to answer Linus's question I do plain to go back to school but i just spent the last year doing nothing but college so i need to take a break to build finances back up and take a break from school work. I am just looking for some good things to study to reinforce what i have already learned besides the requried CEU that i can do in my down time.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Yes Kansas requires a associates degree in order to obtain your paramedic cert. i would have to check but with prerequisite and everything i believe it is between 64 and 65 credit hours.

Excellent! Take a break! You are way ahead of the Paramedics in the other states by having a college degree.

Take a few CEU classes for the alphabet soup. Attend a couple of conferences. Pick up some medical journals or just read the abstracts on line to see what is happening in EMS.

Here's a list of journals from another thread.

http://www.emtlife.com/showthread.php?t=9773

If you do read JEMS, check out the references at the end of each article and read the original. Don't just trust the over simplified watered down JEMS version.

FDWhitey

Forum Ride Along
Things to do...

Contact your local AHA Training Center and look into taking CPR, ACLS & PALS Instructor courses. Having instructor certifications will benifit you in the future and help to keep your skills and knowledge current.

Whitey