ED Rotation tomorrow

bunkie

Forum Asst. Chief
Tomorrow I have my ten hour ed rotation. I'm doing the full moon night shift. :ph34r: Super curious and excited but nervous as all get out. Any advice for me?

Erik

Forum Ride Along
Be clean, pay attention, and don't get in people's way. Basic stuff. I'm sure you know that anyway. Have fun.

surname_levi

Forum Crew Member
make sure to watch if there are any beds that need new sheets

when i was in my clinicals, one of my classmates actually tried to somewhat diagnosed someone...dont do that

just any grunt work really. the nurses loved my class for it

MIkePrekopa

Forum Crew Member
you can never go wrong with bringing some donuts to stick in the break room ;)

mct601

RN/NRP
I did my ED rotation like two weeks ago. Being in Mississippi, a majority of them were chest pain patients. We didn't get anything interesting except a CVA, seizure, and overdose. The nurse I got assigned to was very active and productive, to the point to where I actually asked her if she was one of the more senior/head nurses lol. The other nurses sat around and gossiped. Overall it was really enjoyable and I learned alot, it also solidified my choice of going into medicine/emergency medicine. It was also cool being the only person there in a polo top, black 5.11 tactical pants, and black tennis shoes (the rest wore the usual scrubs). Had alot of funny moments too, the crew I was with was very outgoing and positive.

OP
OP
B

bunkie

Forum Asst. Chief
I did my ED rotation like two weeks ago. Being in Mississippi, a majority of them were chest pain patients. We didn't get anything interesting except a CVA, seizure, and overdose. The nurse I got assigned to was very active and productive, to the point to where I actually asked her if she was one of the more senior/head nurses lol. The other nurses sat around and gossiped. Overall it was really enjoyable and I learned alot, it also solidified my choice of going into medicine/emergency medicine. It was also cool being the only person there in a polo top, black 5.11 tactical pants, and black tennis shoes (the rest wore the usual scrubs). Had alot of funny moments too, the crew I was with was very outgoing and positive.

We had lots of chest pain too. 1 confirmed MI, 1 CVA, several SOB, and 2 OD's. The majority was medical. We had 2 trauma, one girl fell off her boyfriends motorcycle and a kid that broke his arm pretty severely. It was a ton of fun though. I had a great person I shadowed and the staff was awesome. I need to swing by there one night and drop off a thank you gift, will probably do it after I finish school in 3 weeks.

Achromatic

Forum Lieutenant
What hospital did you do it at, Bunkie?

I have my ED rotation coming up in two weeks at Providence in Olympia.

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
On both BLS and ALS ED rotations I did the following which really helped me get along with the nurses:
First time: find the person who stocks the rooms; (find out where to get the supplies, linen and everything else): at the start of each of your shifts stock the rooms, clean them, and whatever else needs to be done. recheck and redo throughout your shifts.
when supply stocking is done, go to the shock rooms and look at the equipment and supplies; find out where stuff is; even if you can't use it, if you can get it in a hurry helps.

each shift after that: introduce yourself to the charge nurse and the shock/trauma room nurses for the ED that day, tell the why you are there: med pushes, IV's, observation etc; tell them where you will be for most of the shift and then go and stock the rooms.
in the ED that I was in they had 20 beds that the people that walked in went to: I stayed at that desk most of the shift; did whatever grunt work they needed done. I got 114 IV's and blood draws in an 18 hr shift there once.
also the Charge and shock room nurses will see that you are helping out and get you when needed (stock those rooms too). I have been paged on the overhead to go to a shock room to see what is being done, or what is coming in.