Dumbest thing you have been asked

pinknsassyemt

Forum Ride Along
Our protocol forces us to call med control... stupid I know.. but whats worse are the stupid questions that come along with it..

tazman7

Forum Crew Member
Im sure it has been asked many times but its funny everytime it happens...

When you bring a code into the hospital and the registry lady asks what is the patients name? My general response is "im not sure, ask him."

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
When you bring a code into the hospital and the registry lady asks what is the patients name? My general response is "im not sure, ask him."

"You know, I don't know but he's rude whomever he is. I've asked him his name half a dozen times since his heart stopped beating and he has yet to answer me."

KanEMT

Forum Ride Along
"Is everyone alright?"

I have said those words while approaching the scene of a high-speed MVC. It was a reflex to ask that question, just like when I respond to non-trauma medicals I ask "What seems to be the problem today?" But it only got better from there.

Here are the events that I was present for:
Last month after leaving the work and on my way home I roll up on a fresh MVC(Radiators still smoking). I'm also on the fire department who's district starts not even 20 feet from the accident. The accident wasn't in my district, but since it was in my county,the first County Fire/EMS/LE personnel to arrive on scene is in charge until they pass command off to someone else. The accident is a Car vs. SUV; SUV blows stop sign and gets T-boned by car at 65 m.p.h. Nothing is wrong with the SUV, but the front end of the car is completely mashed in. I go check on the pt in the car. 80 y/o F unresponsive with slow regular radial pulse, not breathing but there were signs of an attempt (i.e. accessory muscles). So I decide to hop in the backseat (both front doors are stuck shut and somehow the front passenger door gets opened before fire or EMS arrived) and take c-spine and see if I can get her airway open as well. Two seconds later a Trooper rolls up.(the regional office is 300 yards away) He freaks out and tries to declare the pt already dead from 10ft away, so I get him to control traffic. A passing motorist stops and says she's a Trauma Nurse and pulls out nursing credentials and asks if theirs anything she can do? I say you can help me maintain this pts airway until the ambulance gets here. She then proceeds to ask me from the front seat "Why do I need to help with her airway? She's already breathing." The only thing I can think of is that the nurse saw the accessory muscle use and thought the pt was breathing. I told her you can monitor her vitals instead. (Then I had to hold a jaw-thrust maneuver from behind and reaching around a seat while maintaining c-spine. Had to hold it for over five mins.)The nurse then proceeds to announce "I think we're losing her!" every 30 secs until the medic on the ALS unit that responded kicked her out. I never did figure out what "trauma unit" that the nurse claimed to work for and I hope I never transfer any of my pts into her care.

I technically had full authority of that scene until I left on the ALS unit to assist with the pt. So the next time I have a nurse approach me on a scene offering their help. I'm probably going to tell them to get off my scene.(What I love about Kansas is if the general public doesn't do what I say, on an emergency scene, I can arrest them. I don't mean have them arrested; I mean, I have the authority to physically take them into custody and physically restrain them if necessary.) The worst part of the nurse's performance was the unnecessary emotional distress she inflicted on the young female driver of the SUV, the Troopers were trying to get the details from the driver, so they could complete their accident reconstruction. After the young driver heard the nurse she was in hysterics worse off than she was before the cops had calmed her down the first time. That's one of my pet peeves. Not providing the public with a show/being sensitive to the individuals on a scene. I understand that doctors and nurses do things differently, but after multiple people tell you multiple times, "ok" I hope you get the picture and stop the voice loop. The pt later died in the Trauma Unit before I even walked out of the hospital.

AVPU

Forum Lieutenant
I teach layresponder CPR/AED classes. There was this guy in there that I could tell was a jerk from the get-go, asking really specific questions just to show off his "knowledge." When we got to the AED portion, he actually asked me if you could self-administer an AED. The more I think about it, the more stupid that question is.