driving record

firecoins

IFT Puppet
As I am becoming certified as an EMT again, I noticed some employers seem to expect a perfect driving record. I have a valid license but I have 2 previous speeding tickets. 1 in 2004 and 1 in 2001. Should I be worried?

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
I wouldn't be too woried. I did see something in this months' EMS Magazine that scared me, though:

Almost 50% of crash-involced ambulance drivers had some kind of collision or moving violation in the three years before their fatal event, and a special group had more than one offense listed in the FARS database
Pg 72, EMS Magazine, January 2007.

This is talking about ambulance-involved MVA's over a 10-year period 1987-97. It is kind of eye-opening. How many co-workers do you know who have dings and dents in their vehicles, or complain about that a-hole cop actually giving them a ticket?

Some of this is the EMS mindset, and some of it is the demographic makeup of EMS... lots of younger males who think "driving fast is fun."

Just some food for thought.

Jon

OP
OP
firecoins

firecoins

IFT Puppet
I was involved in an accident when I was 16. most of the serious car accidents I have been to were caused by 16 year olds. Go figure.

I have not been pulled over since 2004 and I am keeping it that way meaning no more speeding.

jedirye

Forum Lieutenant
You are correct. I've got a friend trying to work for MedFleet but the boy has like 16pts on his license. Meanwhile I have a clean record (well, no registration once) but can't drive the ambulances anyway because I'm not 21.

-rye

OP
OP
firecoins

firecoins

IFT Puppet
I am 29 so age is no longer an issue on my ability to drive.

Being that both my "convictions" on speeding were in New Jersey and I am from New York, I am not sure if I have points on my record. I probably do. The 2001 ticket may not count any more due to it being just about 5 years now. I think after 3 or so years points get reduced. I know New Jersey and New York DMVs are somewhat linked, to what extent, I don't know. The second ticket was 2004.

Mercy4Angels

Forum Lieutenant
i had a few speeding tickets but i have no more points on my licsense i got them all when i was a kid.

FF/EMT Sam

Forum Lieutenant
As I am becoming certified as an EMT again, I noticed some employers seem to expect a perfect driving record. I have a valid license but I have 2 previous speeding tickets. 1 in 2004 and 1 in 2001. Should I be worried?

I wouldn't be too worried about it, but ask your employer if you're unsure.

Tincanfireman

Airfield Operations
I believe my EMS employer has a rule that only those with 1 offense and/or <4pts will be driving for the company. For my full-time employer (FD), we are required to self-report every offense, moving or non-moving; including parking tickets and no-points seat belt violations. Failure to do so is grounds for dismissal. Because I live in a right-to-work state, I will withhold my opinions of these requirements :rolleyes:

Mercy4Angels

Forum Lieutenant
how the heck are you supposed to remember all that ??? seriously let them look it up through dmv the lazy ba$terds

Tincanfireman

Airfield Operations
You have to supply a 10 year driving record (at a cost of $10) as a condition of employment, self-reporting kicks in after hire.

OP
OP
firecoins

firecoins

IFT Puppet
the good thing is the only parking tickets received when i drove the company car and is registered to the business. Parking tickets on the vehicle are against the business, not me. B)

In between 1998 and 2000 I got a couple of broken tail lights. And at somepoint an expired registration pre 2003. Nothing that put points on my licese but did put hair on my chest. :glare: