Driving Record and Employment

Ryan04

Forum Ride Along
I have just recently completed my EMT-B certification, and I am just wondering how big of a deal it is that I have 3 speeding tickets on my driving record in the past 3 years, and how that would decrease my chances of getting a job as an EMT. I imagine that it is probably a pretty big deal, and its been kind of discouraging thinking that it's going to be impossible to get a job having 0 experience, and the speeding tickets.

Any info would be great. I live in Missouri by the way if that helps at all

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
Do a search. This has been covered countless times.

Short version: (in Michigan) it generally isn't a big deal, as long as you don't currently have points on your record.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
R

Ryan04

Forum Ride Along
Well yea thats the thing. I plead guilty and paid the fine since there's no acceptable reason to be speeding, so I do have points on my record.

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
Might be a problem then. Call the places you want to work for, and ask them. It'll be far more helpful than what this forum can tell you.

You could also look into working in an er.

Last edited by a moderator:

looker

Forum Asst. Chief
Well yea thats the thing. I plead guilty and paid the fine since there's no acceptable reason to be speeding, so I do have points on my record.

Unless there is emt shortage which is unlikely to happen the chances of you actually getting a job with 3 points is pretty much null to none. Ask your self this question, would you rather hire someone that have clean driving record or someone that have 3 points on his/her driver license and it will result in company insurance going up by say 20%. The answer to that question is pretty clear.

Edit:Depending where you are there might be also city regulation that specify how many points you can have on your record