Driver training suggestion

certguy

Forum Captain
Here's a suggestion from an old - timer that may help when you're training new drivers . One thing common to both public transit and EMS is that what the driver does up front effects the folks in the back - often without the driver realizing it . We've probably all had one - a driver that throws us all over while we're trying to do pt. care or bounces the pt. in pain around . I use the bad ride / good ride approach . I put my partner on the gurney as the pt. and assign the trainee ordinary tasks such as splinting and vitals , then proceed to give them the ride from HE_ _ , after that , give them a good smooth ride , then have them switch and let your trainee get an appreciation of what it's like to be a pt. ( minus the pain of course ) . I do this with bus driver trainees too when we don't have passengers on board . With them , they just go to the back of the bus and HOLD ON . This makes them a lot more aware of the ride they're giving . I've been trying to get our management to realize this , but so far no luck .

CERTGUY

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I'll never forget the time that one of my partners finally told me that I was a crappy driver. The truth was, I was a crappy driver. I always gassed it when the light turned green, got some air time going around tight corners, and waited until the last minute to stop.

Finally I got it. The story really involves him making me tech a projective vomiting pt down to Detroit at 2:00 am while he drove MMiz-style, but I'd rather not think about it :)

OP
OP
C

certguy

Forum Captain
Ah ! the famed partner retribution ! Works great as an attitude adjuster . I also used to have a partner who couldn't read a Thomas Bros . map worth a darn . You know you're in trouble when you're running code , look over , and your partner's turning the map completely around and scratching her head . She also used to wait till I was in an intersection to tell me I had to turn ( you have a right turn coming up HERE !!! ) I finally got her used to giving me a warning street a block before the turn .

Craig
emt b , cert trainer , ARC first aid / CPR instructor , ham radio operator

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
We always tell our drivers to drive like they have a hot cup of coffee between their legs (and not in a travel cup either).

Also, as part of our driver training, they are required to ride back from the hospital on a backboard complete with spider straps so they know what it feels like.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Also, as part of our driver training, they are required to ride back from the hospital on a backboard complete with spider straps so they know what it feels like.

Ooooh... I like that one!

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
I agree. That's a good one.

Especially when you consider that our transport times to and from the hospital average an hour each way.