Dress Uniform vs. Suit for a Funeral

Fox800

Forum Captain
One of my best friends was killed in an MVC a few days ago. I have known her for 5-6 years. We worked together at two EMS agencies (we were both EMT's). She was working as an ER RN for the past few years, hasn't worked in EMS for a few years since becoming an RN. Do you think it would be appropriate to wear an EMS uniform (tie, long sleeved uniform shirt, dress pants, shined boots, badge with mourning band) to the funeral, or do you guys think a regular suit would be a better idea?

I wish I didn't have to try to figure this out.

Thanks.

TraprMike

Forum Lieutenant
If her old squad is showing up to show support, then all in dress uniform. if your going single, suit or nice clothes.. it's about her, not about you

OP
OP
F

Fox800

Forum Captain
There are a handful of us from my current service who will be going (3-4, maybe a few more). I will talk to them and see if they are going in uniform or not.

Aerin-Sol

Forum Captain
I don't know what your uniforms look like, but a suit would look much, much nicer than ours, even with a tie. And if she hasn't been in EMS for several years, why are you considering wearing an EMS uniform? I doubt her nursing coworkers are going to show up wearing dress scrubs. I'm sorry you're going through this situation though. I'm sure you'll make a good decision.

WolfmanHarris

Forum Asst. Chief
Depends on the context in which you knew her and the desires of the family. Dress uniform would probably be appropriate.

At a recent funeral for a colleague who died from cancer the family requested uniforms.

beandip4all

Forum Lieutenant
Sorry for your loss.

I think either would be appropriate. Whatever you feel more comfortable doing- can't really go wrong either way.

OP
OP
F

Fox800

Forum Captain
I don't know what your uniforms look like, but a suit would look much, much nicer than ours, even with a tie. And if she hasn't been in EMS for several years, why are you considering wearing an EMS uniform? I doubt her nursing coworkers are going to show up wearing dress scrubs. I'm sorry you're going through this situation though. I'm sure you'll make a good decision.

Because I met her through work and have been her coworker at three different departments. She was recently working as an ER nurse at a receiving hospital that I routinely transport patients to. And sorry but you can't really compare a dress uniform to scrubs in the context of a funeral.

281mustang

Forum Lieutenant
If her old squad is showing up to show support, then all in dress uniform. if your going single, suit or nice clothes.. it's about her, not about you
This. I'd feel out of place if I was the only one wearing a uniform; especially considering the fact she hasen't worked in EMS for years.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
Because I met her through work and have been her coworker at three different departments. She was recently working as an ER nurse at a receiving hospital that I routinely transport patients to. And sorry but you can't really compare a dress uniform to scrubs in the context of a funeral.

I've seen scrubs at a funeral. My uncle died last week, and half of the staff at the dialysis center where he received treatment showed up to the funeral, in their regular work clothes. A few guys came right from work in boots and work clothes. There were two EMS providers from separate agencies in uniform, and it was fine.

It meant a lot to the family.

Overwhelming consensus in our family was that we just didn't care what people were wearing, it was honoring just that they showed up.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
My personal feeling is that someone should only wear a uniform to a funeral if their presence is representing their department. If someone isn't there as a representative, and is there as their own decision, normal funeral clothes.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
My personal feeling is that someone should only wear a uniform to a funeral if their presence is representing their department. If someone isn't there as a representative, and is there as their own decision, normal funeral clothes.
bingo. If the department is going, and you are representing the department, dress uniforms. if you are going as a friend, coworker, or individual, suit and tie.