Does your service provide you with restraints? (Poll)

Does your agency provide you with restraints?

• No, I am not provided with proper restraints and have to utilize law enforcement.

Votes: 5 8.2%
  • We don't have proper restraints and must use other methods (ex. sheets)

Votes: 13 21.3%
  • We have proper restraints and can use them without OLMC.

Votes: 38 62.3%
  • We have proper restraints but must contact OLMC.

Votes: 5 8.2%

• Total voters

JPINFV

Gadfly
Citation required that Boston EMS is any sort of peace officer. Badges and cuffs do not make them police officers.

Actually... any discussion about badges requires this clip.

dmc2007

Forum Captain
yeah i think your correct. The interesting thing about Boston ems is that they are "special" peace officers. They have a badge, cuffs, and even an asp baton. Its sort of a different breed of ems

IIRC Boston EMS has custody powers that isn't typically found in other EMS systems.

rwik123

Forum Asst. Chief
IIRC Boston EMS has custody powers that isn't typically found in other EMS systems.

could you explain more? I'm just aware of the increased powers in general that my old instructor hinted upon having.

Sam Adams

Forum Lieutenant
yeah i think your correct. The interesting thing about Boston ems is that they are "special" peace officers. They have a badge, cuffs, and even an asp baton. Its sort of a different breed of ems

Different breed of EMS... kind of... Word on the street is, that when BPD needs someone restrained, in comes an ambulance. Further, what they carry are not ASPs, but simply flashlights....

rwik123

Forum Asst. Chief
Different breed of EMS... kind of... Word on the street is, that when BPD needs someone restrained, in comes an ambulance. Further, what they carry are not ASPs, but simply flashlights....

Sorry, he must of been being sarcastic when he said that about the asp.

Phlipper

Forum Lieutenant
Yes, we have restraints. We use a quick upper-cut to the chin. Works as well in the truck as it does in the bar.

Pt: "@#$% you ya %&* sunnova @!$%! Get away from me you !@#$!"
EMS: "Now sir, we are trying to help you. Please remain calm."
Pt: @#$%! You! (spits)
EMS: (POP!) "Goodnight sir."

:p:p:p

boingo

Forum Asst. Chief
Boston EMS does not have any police powers. If we restrain a patient w/hard restraints they are transitioned to soft restraints if possible w/o risk to patient or crew. Batons, Mace, Tasers, etc...are NOT allowed, and if I saw someone with any of the above we'd have a talk. I'm sure there are people who conceal self defense items on their person however they are not authorized by any policy.

As far as BPD using EMS to restrain people, yes and no. If it is a patient, i.e. psych illness, intoxicated party in need of MEDICAL care, then yes, EMS is actively involved in the restraint, ideally w/police assistance.