Does this make me a bad EMT?

Sasha

Forum Chief
You didn't abandon any patients last shift either.... but what about next time? Go ahead and turn in your cert now so we can avoid any potential abandonment.

Not good.

How do you think families of 9/11 victims felt watching criyng cops, firefighters and paramedics on national TV? They should have been in the rubble saving lives, not crying!

I don't think you get the whole "uncontrollable" thing.

Or the "autonomic nervous system response" thing either.

I do get it.

Ive never ran away from a scene. When i do, ill turn in my license.

Sent from LuLu using Tapatalk

Sasha

Forum Chief
Correction ive ran once, but we were being attacked by a dog, it was a non emergency er call and we had not made patient contact.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
I do get it.

Ive never ran away from a scene. When i do, ill turn in my license.

Someone screws up one time, with no detriment to patient outcome, by doing something they arguably did or did not have control over. Is that reason to force someone out of a career?

If so, everyone in medicine would be out of a job right now, for EVERYONE has made a mistake at some point, often times at no detriment to the patient, but sometimes to a detriment.

However, the vast majority of mistakes involving patients are resolved by re-education, not de-certification.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Someone screws up one time, with no detriment to patient outcome, by doing something they arguably did or did not have control over. Is that reason to force someone out of a career?

If so, everyone in medicine would be out of a job right now, for EVERYONE has made a mistake at some point, often times at no detriment to the patient, but sometimes to a detriment.

However, the vast majority of mistakes involving patients are resolved by re-education, not de-certification.

Some mistakes are ones that only get to be made once.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Yes, if it cost someone their life.

Never if there is no detriment to the patient.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
Is uncontrollable vomiting by an EMT common? this worries me

Vomiting in an ambulance just once was always the queue for my EMS career to be put on hold when I was pregnant. I sometimes get a little motion sick, but have only ever puked with a patient when I was pregnant. Consistent over 5 pregnancies, usually around 10-12 weeks.

Not common at all, the mild motion sickness can put a weak stomach right over the top.

tickle me doe face

Forum Lieutenant

you mean she didn't have controll over her choosing to toddle off and potentialy leave the patient all by his one-some sevy?

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
you mean she didn't have controll over her choosing to toddle off and potentialy leave the patient all by his one-some sevy?

Sounds to me like there was a crew of other providers there. It's totally fine to have your own opinion on the matter, but try not to add your own facts in as well.

We learn from our mistakes, some mistakes are worse than others, but we ALL make them. Sure this was a pretty big mistake, but I don't personally believe that it's one that should be the defining moment as to whether or not she should stay in EMS. If it happens again, then she can start considering if this is really the career for her.

Last edited by a moderator:

tickle me doe face

Forum Lieutenant
Sounds to me like there was a crew of other providers there. It's totally fine to have your own opinion on the matter, but try not to add your own facts in as well.

We learn from our mistakes, some mistakes are worse than others, but we ALL make them. Sure this was a pretty big mistake, but I don't personally believe that it's one that should be the defining moment as to whether or not she should stay in EMS. If it happens again, then she can start considering if this is really the career for her.

I said potentially. Running away, can cause the patient to be abandoned. lucky for her there were others there this time

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
I said potentially. Running away, can cause the patient to be abandoned. lucky for her there were others there this time

How can the pt. be abandoned if there were other more advanced providers there with the pt? There's no saying that she would have done it if she was the one in charge, and there's nothing saying wouldn't have. All we can do is speculate at this time.

Last edited by a moderator:

tickle me doe face

Forum Lieutenant
How can the pt. be abandoned if there were other more advanced providers there with the pt? There's no saying that she would have done it if she was the one in charge, and there's nothing saying wouldn't have. All we can do is speculate at this time.

I dont know. just seems like a wee bit of a party foul

truetiger

Forum Asst. Chief
The general public puts their trust in us, what are they supposed to think when they see an emt running away?

CheifBud

Forum Crew Member

I don't think she was "lucky" I think she was remotely competent and able to look around for two maybe three seconds and see that there are more providers than care can be provided.

We understand that in different situations with different people and pretty much everything being different it could be abandonment but we can't assume she will in one of these cases, that's far from fair.

Yes 65 that sounds pretty much correct to me.

dixie_flatline

Forum Captain
Gotta say I'm with... Linuss on this one, for the most part. Obviously this is Strike One - and should serve as a warning/wake-up call for the OP, but it doesn't sound to me like a career ender. Certainly if I'm aware of someone like this at my station, I'd be extra-vigilant about working with them and the potential for me to get jammed up - but I'm kind of a :censored: and I'm like that with almost everyone. She's doing the right thing though in trying to get some perspective.

We had a call a number of years ago where 2 kids had plowed their car head-on into another car. Not only did that call have a dead baby in the second car, the 2 kids in the first car were both members of our fire dept. Everyone knew them, and the kid in the passenger seat - well, his dad was the officer on the engine. The driver died in the car before he could be extricated, and the other one turned out to have a dissecting aorta (which was miraculously caught at Shock Trauma and repaired). I don't know that anyone would have faulted someone for being overcome at that scene (even though I don't know of anyone that was).

We can speculate all day about "well, if she fled there, she could flee here" - but none of us can know that. If the situation is different, and she's in charge and the patient is in her hands, maybe she steels herself and doesn't let it get to her. In my book, she hasn't done anything severe enough at this point to unequivocally say "BAD EMT". Hell, I can't say with 100% certainty that I'll never get overcome at a scene.

PS - If something on a call has made you throw up, you better have gotten yourself far enough away that I don't have to deal with it doing my job. Dealing with a patient's puke is a pain, but it's part of the job - I'm not dealing with yours too. I never want to see someone just turn their head from a pt and let rip. You need to get yourself out of the way, and you better not come back until your situation is under control.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
The general public puts their trust in us, what are they supposed to think when they see an emt running away?

To run in the same direction...

Sasha

Forum Chief

Well Linuss claims it was uncontrollable, so if she was sole provider, in Linuss' theory, she would have run too. So where does that leave the patient and family?