Does anyone know the answer ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ms.Medic

Forum Captain
Okay, Im studying a little bit tonight, okay well a lot, but I cant find the answer to a question about S4. Does anyone know, real quick off the top of their head, what exactly it means when you hear that ? EEEK, help.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Google heart sounds. You will find site that lets you hear them.

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
It can mean several different things, as S4 is not diagnostic of any one particular problem, but simply a sign that several need to be ruled out. It can occur gradually, over time, with conditions such as pulmonary hypertension or hypertension related valve changes. It can onset rapidly due to cardiomyopathies such as a ventricular MI significantly decreasing ventricular compliance. In a younger adult, it usually means nothing, and can often be found by a particularly competent auscultator. But in middle age and older adults, it is always cause for concern and diagnostic follow-up. In the presence of hypertension, respiratory distress, or other signs of an MI, it is a red flag.

OP
OP
Ms.Medic

Ms.Medic

Forum Captain
It can mean several different things, as S4 is not diagnostic of any one particular problem, but simply a sign that several need to be ruled out. It can occur gradually, over time, with conditions such as pulmonary hypertension or hypertension related valve changes. It can onset rapidly due to cardiomyopathies such as a ventricular MI significantly decreasing ventricular compliance. In a younger adult, it usually means nothing, and can often be found by a particularly competent auscultator. But in middle age and older adults, it is always cause for concern and diagnostic follow-up. In the presence of hypertension, respiratory distress, or other signs of an MI, it is a red flag.

So what would be the best answer for " when s4 is heard, what is the most likely cause" ?

Would it be pulmonary htn ?

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
I don't think there is a best answer because it depends on so many other things.

Also, look at this site http://www.blaufuss.org/, under tutorials, they have some really good modules on heart sounds that include animations so you can see what is going on as you listen to it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Meursault

Organic Mechanic
In order to keep this forum's Cranky Irishman Quotient up, allow me to posit another unofficial rule:
EMTLife does not exist to do your homework. EMTLife does not exist to remediate the sins of medic mills.

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
I don't think there is a best answer because it depends on so many other things.
Agreed. In a middle age or older adult, it is most commonly the result of chronic hypertension, if that is what you mean by "cause". But the most common cause is not necessarily the most likely cause, depending on your patient. And in a healthy younger adult or child, it's usually the normal result of a strong heart pumping a little stronger than it needs to, and is common in athletes.

Sasha

Forum Chief
In order to keep this forum's Cranky Irishman Quotient up, allow me to posit another unofficial rule:
EMTLife does not exist to do your homework. EMTLife does not exist to remediate the sins of medic mills.

No, but a major benefit of EMTLife is to help people learn. Which is what's she's trying to do.

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
The chances that any medic mill is seriously discussing heart sounds in this depth are extremely slim. In fact, I see very few degree programs even covering heart sounds at all. It seems obvious to me that she's simply trying to further her knowledge on her own, and I think that is a great thing.

OP
OP
Ms.Medic

Ms.Medic

Forum Captain

OOOps, sorry. But no one is doing my homework for me, Im not in school anymore. Just studyin up on a few things. The question I gave an example about was not a question from a book or a test, just wanted to know the best possible answer, for my own personal knowledge. Theres been lots of other questions posted on here to find out answers to, so which ones are allowed and which ones aren't?

Sasha

Forum Chief
OOOps, sorry. But no one is doing my homework for me, Im not in school anymore. Just studyin up on a few things. The question I gave an example about was not a question from a book or a test, just wanted to know the best possible answer, for my own personal knowledge. Theres been lots of other questions posted on here to find out answers to, so which ones are allowed and which ones aren't?

Don't let people being grouchy get you discouraged. I find that this forum and it's members is a fantastic place to increase knowledge for knowledge's sake.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Don't let people being grouchy get you discouraged. I find that this forum and it's members is a fantastic place to increase knowledge for knowledge's sake.

Only I'm allowed to be grouchy and discourage you girls, just ignore everyone else.:p

OP
OP
Ms.Medic

Ms.Medic

Forum Captain

That comment just seemed a little hipocritical huh. LOL. Thanks girl.

OP
OP
Ms.Medic

Ms.Medic

Forum Captain

WHAT, exactly is an "unofficial rule" ? Just one that was "made up" by a forum member. Not being sarcastic, just wondering cause Ive never heard of that, only "official rules".

medic417

The Truth Provider
WHAT, exactly is an "unofficial rule" ? Just one that was "made up" by a forum member. Not being sarcastic, just wondering cause Ive never heard of that, only "official rules".

Me suspects perhaps he was just being a rude irishman.

Dustoff

Forum Probie

Don't let him get our goat, this forum should be about helping people and not keeping Irish bullies happy!!

OP
OP
Ms.Medic

Ms.Medic

Forum Captain
Don't let him get our goat, this forum should be about helping people and not keeping Irish bullies happy!!

HEY !!! I see your from houston....what part, and where do you work ? pm me if your not comfortable saying on here.

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
Seriously. This is about the last thread on this forum that should have turned into a dispute!

It's a little presumptuous and disingenuous for an EMT-B to be lecturing us about what he thinks is and should be occurring in paramedic education he has never received. Come back after you finish paramedic school and tell us what you were taught about heart sounds, Mr.Conspiracy.

Status
Not open for further replies.