Doctor Uses "Handyman" Drill To Save A Life

ResTech

Forum Asst. Chief
Thought this was interesting.

Emergency Surgery: Doctor Saves Boy's Life Using 'Handyman' Drill for Brain Operation

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

MELBOURNE, Australia — A doctor in rural Australia used a handyman's power drill to bore a hole into the skull of a boy with a severe head injury, saving his life.

Nicholas Rossi fell off his bike on Friday in the small Victoria state city of Maryborough, hitting his head on the pavement, his father, Michael, said Wednesday. He was not wearing a helmet.

"He was a bit delirious at first, but then he stood up and said he was fine," his father said.

When he got home, Nicholas complained of a headache and his mother, Karen, a nurse, took him to the hospital.

At the hospital, Dr. Rob Carson realized the boy was suffering from bleeding on the brain, which can be fatal, and knew he had to make a hole in the boy's skull to relieve the pressure.

But the small hospital was not equipped with neurological drills — so Carson sent for a household drill from the maintenance room.

"Dr. Carson came over to us and said, 'I am going to have to drill into (Nicholas) to relieve the pressure on the brain — we've got one shot at this and one shot only,'" Michael Rossi told The Australian newspaper.

Carson drilled until a blood clot fell out and continued to treat Nicholas until he could be airlifted an hour later to Melbourne's Royal Children's Hospital. He left the hospital on Tuesday — the day of his 13th birthday.

"If you are in that situation you just do those things," Carson said. "It is not a personal achievement, it is just a part of the job and I had a very good team of people helping me."

Onceamedic

Forum Asst. Chief
Good thing the doc had a CT scan to determine the location of the bleed so he could drill into the right spot on the skull. In the old days before CT, docs might be drilling many times and hitting a lot of dry holes before they could evacuate the clot.
BTW, the kid's symptoms of initial loss of consciousness, then lucidity, followed by decreasing LOC are classic for your subdural hematoma. Have a high index of suspicion for a brain bleed for any patient showing these signs.

VFFforpeople

Forum Captain
A drill and good aim and I can be a DR.! Woop!! Med school here I come! lol. Really though, that is kinda cool to here about rednecking to do your job..who says you need expensive tools to do your job? A dewalt works just as well lol.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
....BTW, the kid's symptoms of initial loss of consciousness, then lucidity, followed by decreasing LOC are classic for your subdural hematoma. Have a high index of suspicion for a brain bleed for any patient showing these signs.

Sounds like a case from Canada earlier this year, regarding a celebrity.