Do you feel that your gender has influenced your experience as an EMS provider?

Kilby

Forum Ride Along
Hello,

I am a female EMT-B student (who would like to become a paramedic, ultimately) who will be taking the NREMT exam in the spring and have just begun my ride-along/clinical hours. So far the majority of my instructors have been men. I don't mean that as any sort of criticism or complaint about the program or profession at all, but most of the "war stories" I've heard and experiences shared have been from a male (also, generally older) perspective. I'm just curious how those experiences might be different for female EMS providers.

First, I want to be clear. I am NOT trying to start any tangential arguments about gender issues or make a thread to hate on either gender. I'm not interested in excluding anyone, I'm completely and totally open to and interested in input from men or women on the subject. I've seen way too many discussions of similar topics become tense, to say the least.

So, do you feel the expectations are different in any way because of your gender? Are there elements of the job you gravitate to (or avoid)? Are there situations where you receive a markedly different reaction from certain patients? Do you feel your experience is influenced by where you work (ie, private vs. public, one part of the US or another)? By what level of provider you are? Any related do's and don'ts? How about your home/personal life? If you could send a message to your past self on the topic, what would you say?

I suppose I'm aware of some of the more obvious differences, like protocols around calls involving sexual assault, what's appropriate conduct between coworkers, and so on. I imagine that there are very few (if any) professions out there where gender is truly, totally irrelevant, that there are almost always challenges and opportunities that can be gender-specific in any working environment. It doesn't necessarily have to be anything framed in simple "good vs. bad," just...anything different. Especially if you had to learn it the hard way. So go ahead, share some of that hard-earned wisdom!

But let's all try to be friends, yes?

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Welcome!

My experience is old, so I'll try to edit it.

There are some patients who will respond better to a female because they have issues with males (I guess). Not 100% predictable.

Unwanted sexual advances by co-workers: it happens, but if the culture of the employer and your co-workers allows it, you are in hot water and ought to consider getting out early. Same for sexual harassment, but there you might get a chance if you document and know who and how to proceed. (remember "hostile work environment").

From pts: BOTH diplomacy and insisting on safety are paramount, together. If you are stuck trying to talk your way out of a grope or rape, then the security thing didn't work so well, as in failed. Make sure the concept of decoupling "sex" from rape or assault is in play, and remember "safety in numbers".

As a male and working with females sometimes (early in the game for that, 1977 onwards) I often was stronger than my co-worker. but we just took that into account. I also worked with males stronger (or less-strong) than I. Safe and successful lifting and pt movement is often the fruit of stopping, making a quick plan with your co-worker, then knowing and using good body mechanics and/or tools available.

Females back then were less likely to be offered (or ordered) extra shifts than males. No idea how that works out now. Single-dad childcare was unheard of then and there and single mom's weren't on the payroll.

Finally, getting romantically involved with co-workers always makes for issues, even more so if they are already married or not "thoroughly" divorced. "The heart wants what the heart wants" is self-justifying pink-cover poppycock.

Same for business deals, lending money, selling one another stuff, sharing a housing rental…if you value your job and theirs, don't do it.

OP
OP
K

Kilby

Forum Ride Along
Females back then were less likely to be offered (or ordered) extra shifts than males. No idea how that works out now. Single-dad childcare was unheard of then and there and single mom's weren't on the payroll.

Same for business deals, lending money, selling one another stuff, sharing a housing rental…if you value your job and theirs, don't do it.

That's a great example of something I hadn't considered, differences in who could be expected to be better suited for what hours. I'm fascinated with how professions like EMS evolve with the realities of the times, in some sense. And your second point above also sounds like a good policy. I can imagine how something like EMS can become pretty socially insular in bad (and good?) ways. Thank you for the response.

mycrofft

You're welcome.

unleashedfury

Forum Asst. Chief
From a patient standpoint most of the time they are just happy that someone just showed up to help them.

Of course its kind of convenient no pun intended to have a female on the crew when its a sexual assault, rape, or even a domestic assault call. I'm sure if a woman was just abused or assaulted by a man somehow it's a bit more comforting to be assisted and provided care by another woman. Obstetrics calls and calls involving women problems generally females tend to be more comfortable with a female caregiver.

From an operations standpoint, I've worked with both males and females granite the average female vs. the average man will lack upper body strength that a male does. But most women I worked with can hold their own.

Depending on the work environment its "almost expected for a female to be able to "hang with the guys" and tolerate similar masculine behaviors which is a total crock of bovine fecal matter, because it goes back to mycrofft's post where sexual harassment and unwanted advances should be eliminated

In most cases I can say from experience Females tend to be much more nurturing and caring than most males. Which there is nothing wrong with,

Lorianne2010

Forum Probie
I am a female emt who works in the field as well as in an ER as a tech. I also worked on one of our local ski patrols for 7 yrs. So in my experience here is my take on gender and EMS. As far as co-workers go most are respectful and if your good at your job and pull your weight then you will gain and retain their respect. If you whine and cry and don't do your job then you might as well find another line of work, this is of course true with any job isn't it ? Working with a partner is about trust and mutual respect, it isn't about gender. Oh sure there are some men out there who have problems working with women just like some women don't care to work with men but those are becoming less and less the rule ......Honestly I would rather be on a bus with my EMS co-workers (mostly men) then working in my ER with my hospital co-workers ( mostly women)....So my advice.....Keep your head up , pay attention, work hard and if you feel the need to cry do it some place else.....Be tough girl !!!!

CentralCalEMT

Forum Captain
There will always be gender issues in the field. There will always, unfortunately, be egotistical male paragods out there. Most of the paramedics I have met that do not like any females in the field are lousy paramedics to begin with so I don't pay much attention to them.

I work with a female partner most of the time. As a male, personally, I prefer working with a female partner. While, yes, most people are just happy someone showed up when they called 911 and will let anyone take care of them, many times having a female partner as greatly enhanced my patient care from the standpoint it makes a lot of female patient's more comfortable. People are scared when calling EMS, and something as routine as a 12 lead, is much more comfortable to many women when another female places the leads. The same goes for domestic violence, sexual assault, miscarriages, female psych calls and other circumstances that many women, quite frankly, don't want a man touching them. I believe having both men and women represented equally in EMS enhances our profession as a whole, and unfortunately there will always be those few from both genders who quite frankly don't belong in our line of work to begin with.

Last edited by a moderator:

MSDeltaFlt

RRT/NRP
That question requires a more detailed answer than a simple yes. Because what you say and what people "hear" you say might not be the same thing. It's how you look (body style, body shape, body size, hygiene, age, and posture), how you sound (words used, how they are phrased, tone of voice, expression, accent, enunciation), and the list goes on.

I say this because when I first started in EMS I couldn't "get ahead of a stationary object". But now that I am older, people pay attention despite my poor eyesight and multiple speech impediments. It's been my experience that my gender had very little to do with.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
So, do you feel the expectations are different in any way because of your gender? Are there elements of the job you gravitate to (or avoid)? Are there situations where you receive a markedly different reaction from certain patients? Do you feel your experience is influenced by where you work (ie, private vs. public, one part of the US or another)? By what level of provider you are? Any related do's and don'ts? How about your home/personal life? If you could send a message to your past self on the topic, what would you say?
My expectations of my coworkers are the same: male or female, I expect you to do the job. I expect you to lift. I expect you to be able to assess on your own. I expect you to carry your own weight on the ambulance.

Typically, our heavy rescue program is dominated by males. That being said, we do have a 20 year veteran who is a female, is on USAR NJTF-1, and has forgotten more about rescue than I will ever know. But both males and females are expected to carry their own weight.

I've only worked in public or hospital based 911 systems. Haven't been on a private truck is almost 12 years. 14 or so years as an EMT, 10 years in high volume urban EMS systems, the last 4 I've been assigned to EMS communications.

Home and personal life sucks. It's rough being a nightwalker in a daywalker's world. Also hard to maintain a relationship with a non-public safety person when you work 5+ 12 hour nights (since OT helsp pay the bills) on a rotating schedule, and they work Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm.

Public safety is a very incestious bunch. we tend to date/hangout/sleep with others in this field, especially if they are on the same tour as you. We also have absurdly high divorce and substance abuse problems (statisticly speaking, your experience will vary). Can it be done, and done successfully? absolutely. but it takes work, and understanding on both parties.

As for patient interactions, sexual assaults tends to be more comfortable with a same sex provider. As a general rule, I am almost always in the back with violent EDPs (you can call me sexist if you want, but I'm more comfortable with that, being 6'3' and 240, vs a 5'2 100 lb girl. and no, we don't always get cops with us). There are also some religions that are more comfortable with same sex providers.

I will give you a warning: as a woman, expect to have to prove yourself to your coworkers. if your attractive, make sure you can do the job, so people know you didn't get where you are just by your good looks. Don't sleep with your coworkers (if you want to fool around, do it with someone from another agency). Develop a thick skin because people will joke around with you, and test your limits; don't get offended easily, but if someone crosses a line, be sure to stand up for yourself.

mycrofft

I am a female emt who works in the field as well as in an ER as a tech. I also worked on one of our local ski patrols for 7 yrs. So in my experience here is my take on gender and EMS. As far as co-workers go most are respectful and if your good at your job and pull your weight then you will gain and retain their respect. If you whine and cry and don't do your job then you might as well find another line of work, this is of course true with any job isn't it ? Working with a partner is about trust and mutual respect, it isn't about gender. Oh sure there are some men out there who have problems working with women just like some women don't care to work with men but those are becoming less and less the rule ......Honestly I would rather be on a bus with my EMS co-workers (mostly men) then working in my ER with my hospital co-workers ( mostly women)....So my advice.....Keep your head up , pay attention, work hard and if you feel the need to cry do it some place else.....Be tough girl !!!!
I'm pasting this and send it to my daughter..although she already knows.

mycrofft

Oh, another thing...

..and I'm sure you've already run into this.

Some men have made a lifestyle out of intimidating women into doing what they want. Disrespectful, leaning on your desk and looming over you, putting a hand on your shoulder implying physical control, or even just plain being verbally and physically assaultive. (By the way, these are behaviors we were also taught about while orienting to working with inmates. See the video "Games Inmates Play" for an idea. There IS some correlation in my book).
Often these guys will back down if a male appears. A comical few will try to enlist the male into the buddy-buddy "Oh, you know how *****es get!" deal. (A real acid test for your partner; might not try to she the offender down, but mustn't leave it unsaid that he supports your person and your role.

This goes for co-workers as well as patients and bystanders.

Letting this start and escalate is facilitated by "manners".
Get all Teflon on them, and, as they used to tell police rookies "You can be civil but not polite". You have an agenda (pt treatment, being at work productively), don't let them impose theirs; hear them out, then a yes, no, or "tell you later" will do. If the argument repeats, say you have it and press on. If they use physical measures (looming, touching), get into security safety mode STAT while asking/telling them to have a seat and lower their voice.

OP
OP
K

Kilby

Forum Ride Along
Thanks again for all the responses, I really appreciate the insight. Fortunately, I've worked in a sort of similar environment to what a lot of these posts seem to have described (just pull your weight, be cool, and you'll be fine). I lurked this forum a lot before I even started the paperwork for the program I'm a student in, this is a really valuable resource. It helped me in terms of deciding if this was a field I could see myself doing well in. Again, thanks.

Angel

Paramedic
I haven't really had any issues, you are absolutely correct that women are the "minority" in this field and after a while you kind of just get used to it. I get treated differently in the sense that with our old manual gurneys, on really heavy patients, I KNOW if im at the head, chances are I cant lift the pt, not just because of strength, but leverage. Im 5'2 so its close to impossible to lift something UP at chest height (when squatting).

working with the same partners helps because HE will usually just take that side, some guys will offer, and some get told "you get the head, ill get the feet."
I don't see any shame in that because at the end of the day my back and OUR safety is more important. Most companies have power gurneys so that may be a moot point.

I would say just don't go in there acting like you have something to prove, just be YOU and you shouldn't have any problems. Don't let comments bother you and get you riled up and for sure don't be offended easily, its just the nature of our work. I can trade jabs with the best of them (although, when I moved to 911 the guys would ask "are you easily offended?") which is nice but not everyone will do that.

anyways this post is long enough but, in general I haven't experienced anything negative (ask me in a couple months when I start the fire academy, that's a whole other can of worms)

good luck!

Rin

Forum Captain
I haven't really had any issues, you are absolutely correct that women are the "minority" in this field and after a while you kind of just get used to it. I get treated differently in the sense that with our old manual gurneys, on really heavy patients, I KNOW if im at the head, chances are I cant lift the pt, not just because of strength, but leverage. Im 5'2 so its close to impossible to lift something UP at chest height (when squatting).

working with the same partners helps because HE will usually just take that side, some guys will offer, and some get told "you get the head, ill get the feet."
I don't see any shame in that because at the end of the day my back and OUR safety is more important. Most companies have power gurneys so that may be a moot point

Thank you for saying this. I work at a company where we're expected to handle patients under 300lbs on old manual gurneys without a lift assist, and it's really frustrating to me that everyone claims that can lift /anything/. I can lift, but height is a definite issue and I sometimes can't get the head up that last "click" on heavy patients.

I used to have the same problem loading, getting the cot up that last half-inch so the wheels would unlock, until I saw another female at my company load a heavy patient by squatting all the way down and locking her arms with her hands by her shoulders and her elbows down. I swear I heard heavenly music at that moment. Why had no one taught us this before? It seems like everything I learned about lifting was geared toward people who are six feet tall.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
That's a dangerous way to lift.

Two point it if you can't get it up into the back yourself. Please don't blow your back out cleaning the gurney and a patient, which is basically what you described.

I'm male, 5'8" 135#, I understand being small. I two point everything. Now after this injury I'm going to have to always left from the patient's right foot to put the weight on my better shoulder.

/hijack

FWIW I prefer a female partner. There are times where a female is a better caregiver and times where a male will be the better option. I generally offer to do most of the carrying but most every female I've worked with hates it when make partners make a point to go out of their way to carry everything or refuse to let them carry things. My girlfriend puts it well, "I passed the same damn lift test you did, don't treat me like I can't do the job as well as you."

Rin

Forum Captain
I'm probably going to sound really dumb, but how do you two point without a third person to lift the wheels?

mycrofft

Thank you for saying this. I work at a company where we're expected to handle patients under 300lbs on old manual gurneys without a lift assist, and it's really frustrating to me that everyone claims that can lift /anything/. I can lift, but height is a definite issue and I sometimes can't get the head up that last "click" on heavy patients.

I used to have the same problem loading, getting the cot up that last half-inch so the wheels would unlock, until I saw another female at my company load a heavy patient by squatting all the way down and locking her arms with her hands by her shoulders and her elbows down. I swear I heard heavenly music at that moment. Why had no one taught us this before? It seems like everything I learned about lifting was geared toward people who are six feet tall.

They can lift anything. Like the penguins on the ice, they can outwit that old leopard seal anyti...gulp.

LEOPARD2_1520133c.jpg
Injured EMT's disappear. Darwinian.

Yes, everything is geared towards supermen. Same issue.

There are healthy EMTs, there are old EMTs, but rarely are there old healthy EMTs. In fact, few old EMTs at all.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I'm probably going to sound really dumb, but how do you two point without a third person to lift the wheels?

You don't. You're stuck in a pretty crap situation there, friend. I'm too used to having at least 5 people on scene then usually 3-5 ambos at the hospital when we get there. And the fact that we have power gurneys.

Rin

Forum Captain
Injured EMT's disappear. Darwinian.

Yes, everything is geared towards supermen. Same issue.

There are healthy EMTs, there are old EMTs, but rarely are there old healthy EMTs. In fact, few old EMTs at all.

I think of this every time I see people argue for higher education standards (bachelor's degrees, etc). I'm definitely not against more knowledge and weeding out people who could care less about patient care, but I can't imagine in investing four years and thousands of dollars to enter a profession where I can expect to blow my back out within a decade. Is that even long enough to repay the student loan?

I think it's disgraceful that so little is done to protect our health. Instead it's a point of pride to keep lifting standards that have statistically shown to be dangerous in our profession. Frankly, that's an issue that needs to be addressed for our longevity before I could ever consider investing more of my personal (and very limited) resources.

lwems

Forum Probie
At my company, the only time anyone cares about gender is for bariatric situations.

Our female EMTs are fine as long as they get assigned to a kneeling ambulance. But if they end up on a non-kneeler, everyone in dispatch regards that unit as inferior. As a result, that unit gets dispatched wherever possible in order to keep the superior units (bariatric capable, ALS, etc.) in reserve for ER calls.

So, from the female EMT's point of view, being assigned to a non-kneeling ambulance means running more calls per day than average.