Do you eat well?

apagea99

Forum Lieutenant
I eat mostly healthy. The wife and I cook pretty much everything from scratch to avoid a lot of the added garbage you get in processed foods. About 2-3 times a month I get a huge craving for something horrible and I go eat it (Chinese buffet, Mexican food, Italian, Baskin Robins). You gotta have a bit of fun with your food :)

curt

Forum Crew Member
As a medic student, I've got to say that I'm not particularly successful at eating healthy, though I think I've found some good ways to side-step it a little. If you always go out somewhere, then one good way to dodge about 20 teaspoons of sugar, enough caffeine to kill a small horse, and several hundred calories is to pass on the soda altogether and order a bottled water instead. Another good way- at least, if you can get people at the drive-thru that actually listen- is to request your sandwiches without the mayo, sauces, etc on them and save yourself from a supermassive MI down the road. Another way to success is to avoid breaded foods, since that breading soaks up gallons of grease (they probably would've resolved the Exxon-Valdez incident a lot faster if they'd just thrown some breading out there).

Also, I've taken up the habit of doing enough weight training to burn into my glycogen stores (about 30 mins of weight-training) and then walking at a solid 3 mph for 90 to 120 minutes in my spare time. Haven't seen any weight loss yet, but I've just started. At least I feel noticably better.

WarDance

Forum Lieutenant
As a medic student, I've got to say that I'm not particularly successful at eating healthy, though I think I've found some good ways to side-step it a little. If you always go out somewhere, then one good way to dodge about 20 teaspoons of sugar, enough caffeine to kill a small horse, and several hundred calories is to pass on the soda altogether and order a bottled water instead. Another good way- at least, if you can get people at the drive-thru that actually listen- is to request your sandwiches without the mayo, sauces, etc on them and save yourself from a supermassive MI down the road. Another way to success is to avoid breaded foods, since that breading soaks up gallons of grease (they probably would've resolved the Exxon-Valdez incident a lot faster if they'd just thrown some breading out there).

Also, I've taken up the habit of doing enough weight training to burn into my glycogen stores (about 30 mins of weight-training) and then walking at a solid 3 mph for 90 to 120 minutes in my spare time. Haven't seen any weight loss yet, but I've just started. At least I feel noticably better.

The best way I've found to eat healthy (as a busy college student) is to make lots of something healthy in advance. Since I'm a runner healthy equals lots of different pasta dishes. Right now I have some lasagna made with lean turkey and spinach for when I need some food fast. Having something healthy made and easily accessible keeps you from making those desperate taco bell runs....

FTRPO

Forum Crew Member
My diet is quite similar to HatchetHarry's, egg whites, chicken breast, oats, sweet potatoes, asparagus, fish, nuts, and any good proteins. Of course there is usually a day a week where you just eat what you want. I have learned you can pretty much eat your face off as long as your lifting weights and getting some decent cardio. Weightlifting requires a lot of calories to restore what you have lost. Also when your in a pinch having a protein shake pre mixed is always a life saver when you cant seem to get a meal in just slam a shake and your good for about an hour. Sams club around me has a 5 pound bag of protein which is about 72 servings for I think 27 dollars so it is very cheap to do. Eating healthy is guaranteed to make you feel better.

NEMed2

Forum Crew Member
I generally make all the food I eat, which means it's a huge pain when I get home at 12am, need to be up at 6 & need to finish cleaning the house, put away the laundry, yadda yadda yadda. But otherwise, it's significantly cheaper & much better for you. I've been on South Beach since before it was the new fad & then the passed fad, & lost over 60 lbs.

That doesn't mean I don't occasionally splurge at 3am coming back from a transport, but really, what's a spicy chicken burger between co-workers anyway?

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
On Ambulance: My diet consisted of 80% Sonics (becasue we got 50% off if we were in uniform) and 20% whatever my partener begged for that day. I gained weight. :blush:

As the EMT Supervisor for the Snow Park: We got all food free from teh kitchen. But the menu consisted of Hamburgers, Hot Dogs, Fried Chicken Sandwiches, and my favorite NACHOS! I would have gained weight if it weren't for teh hours of trudging through snow. i actually lose 10-15 pounds a season, no thanks to the food. <_<

On Search and Rescue: Traditionally you would think that we would be eating mostly trail mix and MRE type foods. This is true on the multiday wilderness searches. But for the short searches, rope rescues, swiftwater rescues, and dive calls we are typically near the roadways and our deputies see to it that we get lunches "dispatched" out to us. And when we are done, we all head over to the closest restaurant for a county-provided meal (pizza, stake, sea food, whatever we feel like). So while the physical nature of SAR means I must stay in some amount of good health, the amount of food teh county brings us measn that we often get back to the SAR cache a little heavier then when we left. :sad:

coledexter1920

Forum Probie
I am on a baby diet food and strictly following this diet plan. You know I will do anything to reduce my weight. Do you have any information on hcg products. Do you have anything to hide stretch marks caused by over weight issues.

Pneumothorax

Forum Lieutenant
I just ate an entire can of Pringles. Lol!

I blame my crap diet on being a full time student. & the weather. & my work schedule.

I eat when I can & whatever I can lol which isn't usually often or much.

Once I graduate it'll be better. I can get back to running 3miles a day & eating balanced meals lol

Steveb

Forum Lieutenant
Short answer NO
Long answer to long.

thomasmite996

Forum Ride Along
I eat less fat and cholesterol foods items.
Because I don't want to become over weight or fat,
I eat fresh fruits and boiled vegetables,
Drink juice after every 2 hours to maintain energy level...

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
So all the calories you cut by reducing your fat intake you make up by drinking juice?

Anthony7994

Forum Crew Member
Recently, (in the last two weeks) I've started eating healthy on three meals a day. I'd rather eat small healthy meals throughout, buy can't argue with that being active duty Army. But, I've already lost noticeable weight and I feel much better all the time. Plus, now when I eat something a little unhealthy to "treat myself" I just feel gross. Never thought I would eat healthy, but I'm glad I started the change. And, surprisingly, it's hard as hell to eat healthy at military DFACs!

EMSpursuit

Forum Probie
Yup fruit in the morning puts you on the right track I have found. Bringing your food to your EMS job is the ONLY way to stay healthy...otherwise to hectic to try to eat healthy.

Pneumothorax

Forum Lieutenant
I eat less fat and cholesterol foods items.
Because I don't want to become over weight or fat,
I eat fresh fruits and boiled vegetables,
Drink juice after every 2 hours to maintain energy level...

Juice is very high in sugar. Evntually that q2 sugar will turn to fat

MedicBender

Forum Captain
I eat a lot of fruit. Pineapples, mangos, melons, bananas, and apples mostly. They are very cheap and pretty filling. My co-workers give me :censored::censored::censored::censored: because my favorite meal is a whole pineapple and maybe a peach or two. I try to add in veggies when I can. Maybe carrots, sometimes spinach.

NYemt13

Forum Ride Along
I do eat well. I try and eat proper portion sizes. This is KEY. This way, I can have my cake AND eat it :)

lean protein, fruits and veggies, etc. I still enjoy the sweets, especially dark chocolate! (Darker is better.) I recommend this to anyone with high blood pressure. A couple pieces of dark chocolate a day (60%+ cacao) is good!

I also exercise 6 days a week. 30-50 minutes of strength training, 30-40 minutes of cardio. One of those days is strictly cardio, at 45-60 minutes. Each day is a different muscle group (arms, back, legs, abs, and one day to touch up on specific muscles I want to work on).

I manage to balance school, job (non-EMS related), EMS activities, and a social life. (Priority listed in that order). I'm a biochemistry major. So yes it is possible to manage all of that ;)

Healthier body = Happier body. Happier body = better work performance. Anyone looking for advice on how to live healthier, and incorporate healthy activity and diet into a busy lifestyle, feel free to PM me :) (My girlfriend is a dietetic technician, and in school to become a registered dietician. Having her around sure does help with eating and living healthy!)

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
Tuna, tuna and more tuna. Lots of protein with few calories plus super easy to eat. Just open the can and go. If you can't stand the fishy taste try the albacore (white) it tastes a lot better, or smother it in hot sauce