DMV Physical for ambulance cert

kkhartzog

Forum Probie
So today i went and got my dmv physical for my ambulance cert.

I was in there for about 10-15 minutes and then i got my paper work from them.

They weighed me, measured my height, did a drug test, test my vision and my hearing.

when I got out to my car i realized that they put my blood pressure at 128/78 and my pulse at 78.

If they would have checked it like they should have they would have known my blood pressure is normally 105/56 and my pulse rate is 62.

I just hate it when you pay for something to get done the right way and people half fast it and dont do their job. :glare:

At least I know when i take a bp that its the person's actual pb and pulse.-_-

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
So today i went and got my dmv physical for my ambulance cert.

I was in there for about 10-15 minutes and then i got my paper work from them.

They weighed me, measured my height, did a drug test, test my vision and my hearing.

when I got out to my car i realized that they put my blood pressure at 128/78 and my pulse at 78.

If they would have checked it like they should have they would have known my blood pressure is normally 105/56 and my pulse rate is 62.

I just hate it when you pay for something to get done the right way and people half fast it and dont do their job. :glare:

At least I know when i take a bp that its the person's actual pb and pulse.-_-

OK these readings will vary depending on lets see, Anything.

OP
OP
kkhartzog

kkhartzog

Forum Probie
yes they may vary but at least i will know that i will actually take them instead of just writing something down because i'm to lazy to actually do my job.

AnthonyM83

Forum Asst. Chief
Did they take them and record them wrong or did they not take them at all?
If the former, did you see for sure what your BP was when they took it?

The way you wrote your original post it seems, you thought they made an error or made the vital signs up simply because you're usual BP is different from what they got.

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
yes they may vary but at least i will know that i will actually take them instead of just writing something down because i'm to lazy to actually do my job.

So your stating they falsified your medical records?

JPINFV

Gadfly
Also they don't do a drug test for the DMV. They do a urine dipstick which tests other parameters.

guardian528

Forum Lieutenant
from your 'normal' bp of 62 up to 78 is really not that much. the slightest anxiety about the tests are enough to bump it up to 78. I'd put money on their readings being accurate, and you being confused, then ultimately enlightened to find that vitals can change given different situations

Sail195

Forum Lieutenant
Also they don't do a drug test for the DMV. They do a urine dipstick which tests other parameters.

I have had my cdl b for going on 5 years now and every dot physical recert I have had they have drug tested also, that is a mass reg to the best on my knowledge

Level1pedstech

Forum Captain
I know all CDL A holders in the country are required to have a complete DOT physical with drug screen every two years, more frequently if they have medical issues like diabetes or high blood pressure. We dont want ticking time bombs behind the wheels of our large comercial vehicles. When you see the size of some of these guys you wonder how they can pass the required tests.

I will tell you that last time I had my DOT physical my bp was 140/90, the limit is set at 140. Over 140 and the doctor can then make the choice to issue you a card good for 6 months at which time you will be re-tested. This was taken with a manual cuff by an RN, when the doctor came in he saw the 140 and procedded to have me stand and raise my arm he then took a manual pressure and got 130/80. Was this kosher, I think if you look at the big picture you would see its probably ok. To obtain your true average blood pressure it is best to check it over several days. Many factors can contribute to unusaly high readings, in my case fatigue,stress,caffiene and not having had anything to eat that afternoon were definite contributors. I am 6'4" and weigh 245,the last time I tracked my BP it was 130/70 a bit high but I can live with it.

OP
OP
kkhartzog

kkhartzog

Forum Probie
I understand that my bp and pulse can go up when stressed and everything. The fact is they never even took it. So i'm not confused. I know when someone takes my bp and pulse.

Last edited by a moderator:

Level1pedstech

Forum Captain
Could it be they mistakenly used another patients pressure. I know when I vital I make it a point to write the numbers on my left glove and go to the nearest computer to chart. This avoids the problem of forgetting to enter patient information properly. I cant believe they would knowingly falsify your medical document. I bet the nurse had a slip of paper with different patients information on it and used it to catch up her charting, its a big no,no but it happens.

JPINFV

Gadfly
I have had my cdl b for going on 5 years now and every dot physical recert I have had they have drug tested also, that is a mass reg to the best on my knowledge

California DMV ambulance driver certification!=Massachusetts commercials drivers license?

Different state, different license type.

Sail195

Forum Lieutenant
California DMV ambulance driver certification!=Massachusetts commercials drivers license?

Different state, different license type.

I know that LOL I saw you were from Boston and as far as I know the dot physicals is a national standard not a state to state... I could be wrong tho

JPINFV

Gadfly
Well, I never had a physical when I was working in Boston nor have I ever obtained a CDL.

Level1pedstech

Forum Captain
The CDL program was put into place as a nationwide way of tracking drivers. It replaced a system that allowed drivers to hold licenses in multiple states. A driver could run up tickets on one license then use a license from a different state. Random drug testing and DOT physicals with drug screens are a nationwide requirement for CDL holders. If you move and want to get a license in your new state you must surrender your old CDL before any state will issue a new one. It really forced the industry to clean itself up and is a great model showing how nationwide oversight can help improve the image of a particular industry.

AnthonyM83

Forum Asst. Chief
Just for clarification purposes, ambulance driver's don't get a CDL (Commercial Driver License)...rather just get an ambulance certification added to their normal license.

AnthonyM83

Forum Asst. Chief
I understand that my bp and pulse can go up when stressed and everything. The fact is they never even took it. So i'm not confused. I know when someone takes my bp and pulse.
It was the original post that was slightly confusing. It could have been read both ways, that's why I asked for clarification.