Distance/hybrid Paramedic programs

Obstructions

Forum Crew Member
WAMedic, I'm doing my entire summer to finish all my hours here in town and up in Minneapolis, MN.

Can you do your skills on the weekends? And can you do your clinicals with your agency/hospital? I have tried calling them and no answer. Sent an email today. Hopefully I'll hear back soon.

You can do skills on the weekend, however I'd recommend you block them if you can and depending on where you are. You need to pass some testing clearances before you can start clinicals.

They are hard to contact, but be patient. They are currently as busy as ever and are scrambling to find instructors and program administrators to keep up with demand.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
Here is a question for some people. Has anyone worked with a medic that has gone through either the PERCOM or Lenoir program (or any program)? How competent of a medic do you feel medics are that come from these programs?

Rialaigh

Forum Asst. Chief
Here is a question for some people. Has anyone worked with a medic that has gone through either the PERCOM or Lenoir program (or any program)? How competent of a medic do you feel medics are that come from these programs?

I completed the Lenoir program, it is entirely self paced, how you feel coming out will depend upon how much work you put in. It is very very difficult to pass, it is a marathon program, we started with 28 and there were 4 of us that took the final after 7 months. I feel I am certainly lacking in some areas (generally clinically related), however the LCC program has almost a 100% pass rate for first time testers for the NC state paramedic exam, I believe everyone that has finished the program in the last 3 years has passed on the first try, call it what you will but if you finish they feel pretty good about you, It is very weedout heavy and a difficult program to complete, you have to be ready for a 7 month marathon.

Teddy KGB

Forum Ride Along
My first post here. I'm so excited. ;)

Judging by replies it looks like PERCOM has a good rep. Is that a safe assumption?

supernremt

Forum Ride Along
I am really considering the Percom online for the paramedic program. I would like to here from you about this program. I have a lot of questions and I saw that you are from SD. I grew up there most of my life. Could I have you please e-mail me info on this program. Is it worth it or is the online thing to hard?

wanderingmedic

RN, Paramedic
I am really considering the Percom online for the paramedic program. I would like to here from you about this program. I have a lot of questions and I saw that you are from SD. I grew up there most of my life. Could I have you please e-mail me info on this program. Is it worth it or is the online thing to hard?

I will try to post a detailed review of PERCOM, and what their course is like tonight or tomorrow morning. Today has been a crazy busy day for me. Is there anything else specific you want to know?

wanderingmedic

RN, Paramedic
PERCOM breaks their Medic program into three courses. Everyone in their program, AEMT or Paramedic, follows this basic flow:

1. Anatomy and Physiology for the Paramedic (you can be exempted from this if you submit a college transcript with an A&P class)

2. Paramedic 1 - This class covers the didactic and skills requirements for AEMT, plus some paramedic stuff.

Paramedic 1 Skills and Clinicals - Once you complete the Pharmacology lessons of Paramedic 1, you are eligible to start the skills and clinical portion of the course. You attend two weekends (4 days total) of skills training and then another weekend of NR skills testing. To be eligible to start clinicals you must complete one of the skills training sessions first. Clinicals for Paramedic 1 are ~30 days.

AMET program stops here. Students in the Medic track have the option to stop here and test for NR AEMT, or go straight through to Paramedic 2.

Take Paramedic 1 Final Exam.

3. Paramedic 2- This class builds off of the stuff you learned in Paramedic 1, and prepares you to be a Paramedic. This class includes more advanced cardiology stuff and pharmacology.

Paramedic 2 Skills and Clinicals - You can start Paramedic 2 clinicals once you complete the cardiology and EKG portion of the class. You attend two weekends (4 days total) of skills training and then another weekend of NR skills testing. To be eligible to start clinicals you must complete one of the skills training sessions first. Clinicals are ~15 days, and the last 92hrs are spent with you acting as the lead medic on a truck.

Paramedic 2 final exam, and exit interview with one of the program MDs.

Program Ends Here

PERCOM will issue you a clinical uniform. If you are in EMS or healthcare you probably have everything you need. Tuition does include books. They are mailed to you at no cost, and include an access code for the online book. I have never used the online book though.

Clinical rotations can be done at a site you request, and I have never heard of them denying a specific site request. If you are out of state, PERCOM has a network of clinical sites across the US, so you might get lucky and be able to do most of your clinicals from wherever you call home. There are lots of clinical sites in Texas, DFW included.

P1 is 30 Days of mainly hospital (ER, OR, L&D, Respiratory Therapy) rotations
P2 is 15 Days of ambo rotations and hospital (ICU and Cardiac Cath) rotations

You can wait to do your clinicals in one big block after you are eligible in P2. Clinicals are not required to be completed for P1 before you are eligible to move on to P2.

Also, I see you are pre-nursing. If you have completed any nursing clinicals PERCOM can count some of those towards your required hosptial rotations.

Program has been good. Best advice I can give is communicate communicate communicate with your instructor. If anything over-communicate with them. It was hard to get used to having to communicate with a teacher via email. Remember, apart from what you tell them, they have very little idea about how you are feeling about the material, so its hard for them to help unless you reach out first. IT IS WORK! Don't expect to get off easy because its online.

PERCOM has a 100% NREMT-P pass rate for a reason. It is WORK. I CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH!

PotatoMedic

A medic I work with says nmetc is good. But they had issues getting her a clinical site. She was able to fins some last minute.

unleashedfury

Forum Asst. Chief
Its not the school its what you make of it..

You can attend an IVY League paramedic school and still be a poor medic, or you can attend a poorly ran medic mill and become a good paramedic.

With any program online, brick and mortar college or hospital based program your gonna have to put a lot of effort into making a successful paramedic.

I know for PA. HACC offers a hybrid program with a one day a week on campus requirement for skills. I don't know of anyone who has taken the program but I know they have been noted as a well rounded school. Pa uses the NREMT-P exam as they don't proctor there own exam so the accreditation is pretty much a requirement here

The only difference I can say from doing online courses vs. going to class. It requires much more discipline than just showing up to class. Your given your assignments and you have a deadline to comprehend understand and complete them. So if you can motivate yourself to sit in front of the computer or hit the books while your friends or family is out doing their thing. Go to a classroom program.

wanderingmedic

RN, Paramedic
Its not the school its what you make of it..

You can attend an IVY League paramedic school and still be a poor medic, or you can attend a poorly ran medic mill and become a good paramedic.

With any program online, brick and mortar college or hospital based program your gonna have to put a lot of effort into making a successful paramedic.

I know for PA. HACC offers a hybrid program with a one day a week on campus requirement for skills. I don't know of anyone who has taken the program but I know they have been noted as a well rounded school. Pa uses the NREMT-P exam as they don't proctor there own exam so the accreditation is pretty much a requirement here

The only difference I can say from doing online courses vs. going to class. It requires much more discipline than just showing up to class. Your given your assignments and you have a deadline to comprehend understand and complete them. So if you can motivate yourself to sit in front of the computer or hit the books while your friends or family is out doing their thing. Go to a classroom program.

I completely agree. Almost ANY EDUCATION is what you make it. Class/school is just an opportunity to learn.

But...if there is such a thing....PERCOM is more of an Ivy Medic school :p

newmedic33

Forum Probie
Been really considering enrolling in percom myself now that I finally have the money and can afford it, I've currently been an emt-b for about 3 months now and want to further my education and skills. My only dilemma is the main reason I chose percom is because its accredited and has really good reviews plus I could continue working at the fire dept and getting more experience as a basic in the mean time, Im just worried about having to fly out so many times for all the skill sessions, I found two places close to me to do clinicals its just the skills cuz the closest place to me is over 500 miles one way.

main question is, is percom worth the cost? is it that much of a pain to fly out and stay for a couple of days to get the skills done?

as the way it seems is I should be enrolling on Monday and getting started then cant wait!

also I talked to jerry dinsmore and he said the average time to finish the basic to medic course is 12 months? I've heard 18 is more likely but he said 12 was the usual.
thanks

PotatoMedic

..., Im just worried about having to fly out so many times for all the skill sessions, I found two places close to me to do clinicals its just the skills cuz the closest place to me is over 500 miles one way.s

I was in the same boat you are in. I ended up finding a different distance paramedic program that groups their skills sessions together (Lenoir Community College). That way I reduce the number of times I have to travel.

The program is not fully accredited yet but has a letter of review so you will be able to take and get your NREMT-P

Looking forward to starting it next monday (16th) You can still register.

newmedic33

Forum Probie
I was in the same boat you are in. I ended up finding a different distance paramedic program that groups their skills sessions together (Lenoir Community College). That way I reduce the number of times I have to travel.

The program is not fully accredited yet but has a letter of review so you will be able to take and get your NREMT-P

Looking forward to starting it next monday (16th) You can still register.

its the same deal? coursework online and stuff then skills are closer together I take it? ill definitely take a look, do they have a payment program or anything similar to percom?

PotatoMedic

It is more structured. It is online for the book work and then skills you do onsite and clinical you have a few options for. Program is 40 weeks long and you go to north Carolina three time. (Week 10, 25, and week 40.) For 4 days each (Monday - Thursday.) At the end you do clinical either there, somewhere closer to you, or somewhere you are able to set up.

Cost was a huge factor for me. This program is about $540 total. There are a few other fees and you have to pay for books but you should have to pay no more that 1500 not including travel. Payment play wise you pay 180 every 16 weeks. Books you can stagger to offset the cost. They cost me around 500 dollars for the 6 I had to buy.

The biggest concern I had with the program is that it only has a Letter of Review. Ie. It is not fully caahep accredited. I will still be able to take the nremt and get my nremt but, the reason that is a problem for me is that Washington requires caahep accreditation for reciprocity. But after a few phone calls and an email or two I have some reassurance that I will be able to get that.

Best thing you can do is contact Mr. Carter and talk to him. He can give you a good bit of information and answer any question. Also a hand full of people have gone to Lenoir and should be able to give you an even better idea. And there has been a few other threads with some good information.

Last edited by a moderator:

newmedic33

Forum Probie
ok I've been checking it out pretty interested and the price is way cheaper than percom, do you have a number for Mr. Carter? also the only thing im leary about is how you were, being eligible to test for National registry, what exactly were you told you would have to do so that you would be able to sit for the test? thanks for the info helps a lot

PotatoMedic

Regarding the nremt eligibility. Beginning January 1, 2013 all initial Paramedic applicants seeking NREMT's National EMS Certification at the Paramedic level must have successfully completed education from an accredited program or one that is seeking accreditation sponsored by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP)."

If you go to the caahep website you will find that Lenoir has a letter of review and meets the seeking accreditation part of the above quote. And you don't have to do anything funny to take the nremt. Just pass the class.

If you go to their site you can find his email and possibly phone number. Since I'm feeling nice I'll find it for ya... should be able to find his contact I do here under the outreach paramedic program. http://www.lenoircc.edu/Continuing_Education/pseprograms.htm

I will say each program has its pros and cons. Talk to them both and decide which will be best for you.

newmedic33

Forum Probie
ill be callin tomorrow to find out more, my main concern is I need to be able to get National registry, but thanks for another possibility, I applied already so we'll see thanks again.

wanderingmedic

RN, Paramedic
ill be callin tomorrow to find out more, my main concern is I need to be able to get National registry, but thanks for another possibility, I applied already so we'll see thanks again.

Just so ya know, PERCOM is fully accredited. They received their full accreditation in July.