Different Locations Different Wages

medicsb

Forum Asst. Chief
Where I was in South Jersey, I was making around 22.50$/hr as a PRN (started at ~18, 5 years prior). I think the brand new medics for a fulltime position were starting at 20ish, which with the schedule of 2 on, 2 off, 3 on, 3 off translates to ~45k at 20$/hr (thats counting the 8 hours of OT every other week). I know some of the long-timers were around 28-30, but I never asked out-right. Pay for EMTs ranged from 12$/hr to 19$/hr. Because of benefits and pension at some places (usually municipal EMS or FDs), there are medics working fulltime as EMTs.

I'm currently PRN for a hospital based IFT company and get almost 28$/hr. Some other full timers are over 30$/hr. New fulltime hires get ~25$/hr.

CANMAN

Forum Asst. Chief
Currently working for County Goverment here in Maryland, where the cost of living is sky high.

Salary is 45,790 a year which is 22.08 an hour. The County Beni's are really where I make out between pension and health care etc. Work 24 on 72 off rotation.

Also work private industry doing Critical Care Transport and pull 26.75 there. In the private industry, especially the critical care field you stand to make some coin if you are half-way bright and show up for work.

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
You can't actually choose to work all weekends/nights but yes your theory would work if it was possible. Do you guys get much chance at OT shifts? And if so what rate are they at. Also, do you get shift penalties or are yours rolled in rates???

OT shifts are time and a half I think. I've never done one because Im still in my CI time and its hard to organise OT. There isn't much of it going around in the metro areas at the moment because there are so many graduates doing 6 month training stints in high call volume metro areas before going to their permanent rural locations. I think there is a fair bit of OT in rural areas though.

What do you mean by shift penalties? If you mean public holidays, then yes, but weekends and nights are rolled in.

Aussie_Medic_Girl

Forum Probie
OT shifts are time and a half I think. I've never done one because Im still in my CI time and its hard to organise OT. There isn't much of it going around in the metro areas at the moment because there are so many graduates doing 6 month training stints in high call volume metro areas before going to their permanent rural locations. I think there is a fair bit of OT in rural areas though.

What do you mean by shift penalties? If you mean public holidays, then yes, but weekends and nights are rolled in.

Yeah I was referring to afternoon and nights. Interesting to see that they automatically roll them in the base rate for you guys. What is your base rate /hr if you don't mind me asking?

WelshMedic

Forum Probie
My basic rate is $39/hour. Unsociable hours payments come on top of that (ranging from 150% to 200%).

Annual basic salary is about $ 80,000.

We are heavily taxed though: I am in the 52% tax band. Effectively, more than half my salary goes to the government.

Carl.

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
For us in south central Texas with a private:

EMT base is $12.25ish (same thing I made here as a new paramedic in 2003)

Paramedic base is $15 something an hour. This is for new medic. Experience pays more depending on time in level.

Intermediate falls somewhere in between basic and medic.

Anything over 40 hours within the 7 day pay week is time and half. Most of us get a 3-5% raise every year as well.

Different areas of our company have different rates as well to compete with other agencies. We fall under what the majority makes.

the_negro_puppy

Forum Asst. Chief
--EMT Basics--
in San Bernardino County EMTs start at about $10/hr. Taking into consideration that EMTs make overtime(1.5) after 8hr... That Roughly equates to
Gross: $24,000yr.
Net: $19,000yr. or $1,600 a month....

--Paramedics--
in San Bernardino County Paramedics start at $14/hr. This is sourced from a recently hired medic... Taking into consideration that medics make overtime(1.5) after 8hr... That Roughly equates to
Gross$33,600yr..
Net: $26,000yr. or $2,100 a month....

Just wondering... How much More/Less do other locations including outside the states, pay???

316afqb.jpg

That pay is atrocious. I know we have a higher cost of living here, but jeez...I've pulled about 77k this financial year (with alot of overtime, admittedly) as a student.