Did working as a CNA help you as an EMT

Katy

Forum Lieutenant
but instead have "similar" training and that .
Sad part is they don't have similar training at all. It would be different if they were asking for a PCT to carry out CNA duties, and the potential employee was a CNA, but for one provider to jump into a role weakly touched on in their program would be a patient safety risk at some point.

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
There is not a lot of overlap between CNAs and EMTs. One sees the patients for maybe several hours if they work in the ED, the other may see the same patient day in day out for years. The skills required to take care of the sick and infirm in the long term setting are very different from those of EMS, where the goal is to you know, get the patient to definitive care sooner rather than later.

I'm not talking about long-term care. I'm talking about working the ER, which as you yourself pointed out in this quote, is typically only for a few to several hours.

In any event, as a diligent researcher, this forum is not the only method I've used to ascertain an answer to my pondering. I've also asked a fellow volunteer, who is a CNA and has in fact held the exact same job I'm talking about. This same person has also become an EMT, and with both sets of training under her belt as well as having had the same job I'm interested in now, she seemed like an ideal person to ask, which I did. And she said that there really wasn't any function of the job that an EMT-B with half a brain couldn't do.

Katy

Forum Lieutenant
I'm not talking about long-term care. I'm talking about working the ER, which as you yourself pointed out in this quote, is typically only for a few to several hours.

In any event, as a diligent researcher, this forum is not the only method I've used to ascertain an answer to my pondering. I've also asked a fellow volunteer, who is a CNA and has in fact held the exact same job I'm talking about. This same person has also become an EMT, and with both sets of training under her belt as well as having had the same job I'm interested in now, she seemed like an ideal person to ask, which I did. And she said that there really wasn't any function of the job that an EMT-B with half a brain couldn't do.
While I may disagree with her opinion, she has CNA training to account for and be held responsible for, as well as being able to show the potential employer. You, however, do not.

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
When one has been unemployed for as long as I have, it doesn't hurt to try anything, even if it doesn't agree with some random person on the internet.

Katy

Forum Lieutenant
When one has been unemployed for as long as I have, it doesn't hurt to try anything, even if it doesn't agree with some random person on the internet.
While I am sympathetic for your situation, you must understand that it is not only I who is concerned with this. Being a CNA with only EMT-B training is leading to disaster...

WoodyPN

Forum Crew Member

Since we are both in Maryland, I'll comment.

You aren't going to find a job in ANY hospital in the area thats going to go for what you are saying. You won't even get called into an interview.

I just got hired as an ED Tech today, and as soon as I walked into the recruiter's office(first phase of interview), I could see my state license was already printed and sitting on her desk.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader

I don't doubt it, very few of the ER techs in my area are CNAs and the hospital could care less. However, they do get in-house patient care classes that teach the relevant aspects of the CNA skill set (not too many Hoyer lifts in the ED...). I would imagine the hospital in your area wants someone with a CNA certification already so that they do not have to bother educating the an EMT in "semi long-term" care techniques (bedmaking, assistance with the bathroom, etc). Regardless of how easy these skills may be, you still have to be educated in their use.

OP
OP
J

joeshmoe

Forum Lieutenant
JJr15....Ill add a few more things. Youre right in that it wouldnt hurt to apply for the job. But If being a cna isnt a requirement and you get an interview, I would be straight forward with the person interviewing you about what your training is.

I would agree with your friend in that CNA duties or skills arent rocket science by a long shot and a sharp person could pick them up on the job, but if you worked as a CNA it could end up being death by a thousand cuts, since there are so many things that EMT training doesnt touch on that are very important.

There is one big difference between EMS and Nursing that I have found, and that is the number of patients you take usually take care of, and this is the downfall of a lot of CNAs and Nurses. There is a big difference between taking care of one or two patients and a dozen. Speed, efficiency, time management and organization are extremely important, or you will find yourself way behind and patient care will suffer. This is something you have to learn on the job anyway, you dont really learn it in CNA school, but you will already be way behind the curve unless you go to CNA school first, which is usually relatively short and cheap, maybe 6 weeks to 12 weeks and costing 500 to a 1200 bucks.

Its kind of a moot point anyway, since in all likelyhood you wont be hired without your CNA, if its not a state requirement its probably a hospital one. Most hospitals also require a year experience working as a CNA or that you be an RN student in good standing with a set amount of clinical experience. When I interviewed for my hospital job the RN who interviewed me noticed I also have my EMT license, she worked as an ER Nurse for a long time before becoming the head of ICU and Med/Surg and told me flat out my EMT training isnt going to help much, she just was interested in how much experience I had as a CNA.

ER tech is different in that the training you have will at least be a lot more relevant, so I would definitely apply for any of those jobs if you can.

Last edited by a moderator:

AlphaButch

Forum Lieutenant
Joeeshmoe - Although the job has similiarities, they are very different. The job on the med/surg floor will allow you to gain knowledge which may make you a more rounded medic in the field as you'll have more insight into pathophsyiology, medications, recovery/rehab. It will also help you in the future with your communications with nursing staff (as they are almost two different languages outside of the ER).

JJR512 - As an EMT, the ER Tech or Transport Coordinator jobs are the most applicable. Don't forget to scout out the 24 Hr, MRI, Dialysis, Radiology and Urgent care clinics popping up everywhere. Alot of these facilities hire part time paramedics and emts who can assist in determining level of transfer, prepping for transfer and the basic floor work (vitals, IVs, etc). Most of the major hospitals in Texas will only hire experienced EMTs (with IV and ECG certs) or EMT-Ps for this kind of work.

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
JJR512 - As an EMT, the ER Tech or Transport Coordinator jobs are the most applicable. ...emts who can assist in determining level of transfer, prepping for transfer and the basic floor work (vitals, IVs, etc).

That is exactly the kind of job I'm talking about. Well, I didn't mention the transport one, but it it another possibility.

Pneumothorax

Forum Lieutenant
CNA might not seem helpful towards an Ems career, but it does have some very valuable plus points you may be over looking
- working with multiple patients, this helps you get used to this and social skills in the medical setting
-working with nurses , it won't be the last time you see them in your life. Get to understand their job and know when u bring a pt to the ER why it seems like a one giant *****fest lol
Also, having the opportunity to work with nurses you can learn alot if they are willing to show you about meds and medical diagnoses and stuff--every little piece of information is helpful ESP since u want to move on to paramedic.
Don't completely overlook it...every experience counts :)

hurley

Forum Ride Along
Yes! I worked as a CNA in a LTC and as a registration tech in an ER prior to getting my EMT. I was the only one in my class who knew how to take vital signs, interact with patients comfortably, and already knew how to act as a tech during ER clinicals. CNA also teaches proper body mechanics and transferring patients, as well as medical terminology and some basic A&P, so I felt much more experienced going in than the students with no past experience in health care probably did.

sdover

Forum Probie
agree with what has been said.
while both professions so different, both deal with patients when they are most in need which is a pretty big part of both jobs.....