Depression In EMS

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
Match up sleep deprivation with missing holidays and family events, low pay, concerns for job security and permanent injury, severely limited career development, when you constantly see (sometimes extreme) human suffering, you're at high risk for depression.

I've seen numerous people go from happy-go-lucky or a generally positive attitude, to having a flat affect, become increasingly prone to violent outbursts, declveloping indifference and apathy towards their patients, and banging in sick/ taking leave as soon as they get a day's accrual. This doesn't take 15-20 years to occur, either. Some people are done with EMS in 3-5 years.

The first part of your comment can't be underestimated. Sleep deprivation + any of the factors you mention is very stressful.

Fire51

Forum Lieutenant
A lot of people leave EMS because they get tired of the life, you work long hours with no sleep and then most have sleeping problem once they get home, most of the calls are just simple things like my head has hurt for 2 days I think I need to go to the hospital at 3am, and then there's the whole thing about people not careing what we do and family not understanding what you mean when you say "I had a hard shift" .the mental and physical abuse you get from patients can get old to. A lot of people get into this and end up moving on to big and better things like RN and PA school which I am not saying that's bad or trying to down anyone that did that, I am just saying there are only a few that stay and this work for life. Some people that love the job end up getting career ending injuries like back injuries. It a great career, there's just a lot that can happen in this field.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
It's a great career, there's just a lot (of unanticipated and unwelcomed things you're not prepared to handle) that can happen in this field.

Elaborated on a good quote just a bit.

And maybe that's the key. Not only are healthy ways of coping no part of our training, but there are zero safety nets in place to catch us when we slip off that fine wire.

I'll go so far as to say if an important part of you is not depressed while doing this work, something is wrong. Isn't this work participating in a depressing aspect of the life experience?

Because we are there, most others DON'T have to play witness to suffering. We carry a disproportionate load so the rest of society doesn't have to.

emschick1985

Medic
I did a search and could not find anything like this, so I figured I would try to start a thread.

Depression is extremely prevalent in the United States. I wanted to find out your thoughts on depression in EMS because mental health is a big part of health. Three questions:

1) How prevalent is depression among EMS personel? Do you think it is higher or lower than the general population and why?

2) Do you have any direct experience with depression in EMS? This could be with a partner who struggled with depression, a friend in EMS, or even yourself. What did you do (if anything) to try to help them.

3) At what point should a EMS provider remove themselves from the field because of depression, and when should they consider returning?
I am so glad you started this topic!

1. Yes I believe depression ranks higher in EMS. We don't talk about it and/or are afraid to get help. In my experience it was a slow process so a lot of times blame it on other factors instead of EMS. There have been times recently that I wanted to get help but was embarrassed because everyone knows me at the ER and in this small town. No one else wants to admit they feel the same. We're "too tough" "invincible" for EMS to get to us.

2. I myself struggle with depression in EMS. I have been on the truck for 4.5 years and I'd say the 3 year mark is when I started noticing I wasn't happy, brushed it off on other things goin on in my life, fast forward to preset time, I am in such a deep depression the deepest I've ever been. I've noticed since I've been a medic my whole view on life has changed. I don't like people like I used to anymore, I don't see life as exciting as I once did, I have no energy or want to do anything that makes me happy, I barely have the energy or want to make it thru each day. I find myself wishing my life was over, never having any future plans or wanting to grow old. I never used to be this way! Ever! Until a couple years into EMS. I stayed this long because I felt like was stuck. I believe there are several factors all together that caused it.
Main thing is it didn't turn out to be what you got into it for. We get abused for a medical taxi. We are carting around the elderly and the ones who abuse the system,ridiculous long distance transfers from hospital to hospital that could have went by car. lack of sleep from transfers, and then expected to do emergencies in between. low pay, strain on marriage because they don't understand why you feel certain ways at times, the guilt of leaving your family for shift. Especially when having to work a second job to make ends meet. The memories that stick with you during traumatic situations. Stress from coworkers. Then when you Get down time here it can feel like eternity when depressed. Just holed up in my room being "antisocial" as they call it. Sorry so long. I'm on shift now.

3. When you feel this down and finally realize it may be your job even tho you don't want to give up being an EMT/paramedic, try something new. Keep your license EMS will be waitin for you if you want to come back. I am applying for an industrial job and have opportunities to advance. I won't be starting in medical tho. I will be a regular operator until it opens up in safety dept. I am scared to death but I need to try something else to see if EMS was damaging me. I LOVE being a paramedic. I LOVE making the Decisions on the ambulance and being out there with my partner on our own creating adventures on the road. Making life or death decisions is exciting. But I think going to part time could be a good thing for someone who gets burnt out or depressed in EMS. Don't worry about finances. If you are tht unhappy get out while u can!

adamNYC

Forum Lieutenant
Theres nothing that depresses me more than a lack of action, boring txp work, and a slow/no-call day at the volly. Once I've tasted the high of street-jobs, flag downs, and the occasional emergency call to SNFs, all else, especially IFT/Txp/Dialysis work is minimally rewarding

savemachine

Forum Crew Member
When we are overworked, we tend to absorb all the negative energies around us. This include even depression. Depression is contagious, too, especially when we are working with clients who are depressed themselves or if we are in a situation that is too hard pressing on us. Actually almost everyone may have had experienced depression at least once in their lives. It is normal to be depressed, but it isn't normal to stay depressed. We must take a break, have some time off for ourselves. It is not bad to pamper ourselves and to do the things that we like and enjoy after a long hard work. We need to do the things that makes us happy as it is the way of filling in our love tanks, in order to be able to give and supply love to others too.

nightmoves123

Forum Crew Member
Have lost 3 paramedic friends in the past 12 months through some sort of mental episode/disorder. There seems to be plenty of spotlight on military PTSD but not on healthcare workers

nightmoves123

Forum Crew Member
Sorry man, that's always ****ty. I've lost friends to PTSD too

The interesting thing is none of them had the 'cry for help' type scenario...you know taking a ton of pills. One even seen a councillor on a Wednesday and then hung himself on the Thursday!

Run with scissors

Forum Lieutenant
The interesting thing is none of them had the 'cry for help' type scenario...you know taking a ton of pills. One even seen a councillor on a Wednesday and then hung himself on the Thursday!

Same with my friend, he just got back from his 4th tour in afghan land. And after being home for a week. His wife and kids went out for ice cream. They came home and he shot himself on the steps. We lived on base. And he never showed any symptoms. He drank a lot. But I mean, we all did. PTSD is a serious issue for first responders and military alike. The best defense, is a good crew who look out for each other and talk about things with each other. Sure professional help has benefits. But it can't give you that feeling of having some one in your boat helping you throw out the water as its sinking while your paddling to shore.