Depression - A Handicap?

Ped101

Forum Crew Member
Hey everyone!

Recently i was talking to some fellow EMT's and the topic of depression landed on the table. We were discussing wether it is ethical for an EMT suffering from depression to do his duty, or should he first get help and medication before continuing. Should clinical depression be considered a handicap?

Well, i thought the discussion was so interesting that i wanted to hear your opinion on it

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Depression is a little more than just opinion since there are medical conditions and legal stances that go along with it. If you or someone you know has an issue with depression, don't mess around with the advice on an anonymous EMS forum but seek help from a professional that specializes in it.

Depression should be treated by professionals, and that may also include a medical doctor, and they can make the recommendations for a person's ability to work and further treatment including meds.

If the depression is severe enough, a leave of absence may be necessary but often it is not. Many employers and insurances do recognize this and may offer benefits for both outpatient and inpatient treatment.

However, in very severe cases, Social Security may recognize it for Disability benefits if adequate documentation is provided that the person will not be able to work for the long term.

Last edited by a moderator: