Defibrillator settings Manual

researcher

Forum Ride Along
I am doing research on defibrillators and would like to know why some units go 5 joules to 360 joules for example a lifepak 7s any info wold be appreciated thanks researcher.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
I didn''t know there was a LP 7.

I've used LP 9's, 10's, and 12's... All have "low energy" setttings from 5/10 (or lower) joules to 360 joules (actually... I'm not sure about the 10)

Mostly, they aren't used prehospitally. In hospital, you'll see them used for "internal" paddles.... if the patient's chest is cracked at time of arrest... you don't need the "high energy" because you are applying the energy directly to the heart.

Also, lower doses are indicated in pediatrics, and doses as low as 50-100 joules are indicated for cardioverting adults.

Jon

OP
OP
R

researcher

Forum Ride Along
info

Thank you for the reply. One question I forgot to ask Can it be used if someone is concious like they do on tv or how they do it on tv shows like ER

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
researcher said:
Thank you for the reply. One question I forgot to ask Can it be used if someone is concious like they do on tv or how they do it on tv shows like ER
Absolutely! Cardioversion can do the body good!

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
MMiz said:
Absolutely! Cardioversion can do the body good!

ROFLMAO :lol: :lol:

No if the person is concious it means they have a pulse and therefore do not need cardioversion.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Wingnut said:
ROFLMAO :lol: :lol:

No if the person is concious it means they have a pulse and therefore do not need cardioversion.
<BUZZ> WRONG!

It is POSSIBLE for someone to have a crappy B/P, and need cardioversion "STAT" and be conscious... unlikly, but possible.

Cardioversion is only used on arrythmias WITH A PULSE.
Defibrilation is used when there isn't a pulse

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
MedicStudentJon said:
<BUZZ> WRONG!

It is POSSIBLE for someone to have a crappy B/P, and need cardioversion "STAT" and be conscious... unlikly, but possible.

Cardioversion is only used on arrythmias WITH A PULSE.
Defibrilation is used when there isn't a pulse

oops...I was thinking of defib...sorry. :sad:

OP
OP
R

researcher

Forum Ride Along
info

Here is another question. If you defibrillated a concious person say at 5 joules what would happen. And also how they do it on tv.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
The reason for low joules is for "internal paddles" the ones used in surgery. Long paddles which the surgeon uses on direct contact on the heart when the chest is open & the need for high voltage is not needed. Low voltage is also used for neonate, infant and pediatric cases which is very rare.

Defib or shocking a patient a consious patient which is sometimes done in rare circumstance (prefferred to sedate, but not always permissible) is very painful and as most described feels like an either a "mule kicked me" or an alligator bite... There was a case not too long ago were an EMT accidently shocked his partner and killed her.. so yes it is dangerous, painful, and could be deadly if not performed on the right circumstnace. The EMT was found guilty on manslaughter and now is serving a prison sentance. Owning or operating a medical device without proper education, one can be in a violation of a Federal offfense. On t.v. is dramatic and NO it does not make the "thumping" sound like on t.v ...sometimes you will hear a slight popping sound.

Good luck,
R/R 911

Last edited by a moderator:

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
researcher said:
Here is another question. If you defibrillated a concious person say at 5 joules what would happen. And also how they do it on tv.

You would end up in a headline somewhere for being really stupid.. And on TV, it's fake. They aren't really shocking the people. I can tell you that people don't have a full body muscle spasm that causes them to jump off the table, as it is on TV. Just a tiny spasm is seen.

And they do have to cardiovert conscious people. Often, that is what they do to people in AFib. I've also seen it done for SVT when the adenosine didn't do the trick. That's also the job of an ICD.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
I think you are asking how they use the defib on "real actors" on TV and don't kill them...

Well - sound effects are wondful things... I can't see a need to use live defibs on TV.

Would 5 joules kill someone? Probably not. Would it probably hurt and maybe burn? Yes.

Jon