Defibrillation pads question.

Mex EMT-I

Forum Crew Member
Hello.

Well first of all i hope this is the right place to post this. If not please forgive me i hope if not i can move it later.

We recently got a Lifepak 12 for my volunteer squad but it has no hard paddles, it only has therapy cable and the issue has to do with that.

Some good folk that I know is willing to donate us some pads that he has that used to be of a lifepak AED. This are the quick pak type. The yellow stripe type.

My question is this, I know that this pads are for the AED´s but can you use them to pace a patient if they are connected to a LP12.

I know this is a very strange question, but down here crossing the river (México thats it) we have to work with whatever we have at hand and with those pads prices sometimes we just can´t afford them.

Any knowledge on this matter will be much appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

MasterIntubator

Forum Captain
The pads need to be labeled for use with the LP12, the combo pads. There are no exceptions. Any pads that are not made by Physiocontrol can jeopordize the warrenty.

Hockey

Quackers
EMS in Mexico?

You need to use the pads that are for LP12

Using anything else (at least here in the US) thats not designated for your LP12 is a huge liability for you.

You said they had some that used to be of a Lifepak AED. That probably means expired. Don't use em. Trust me

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
You may actually be okay, depending on what the product is. The Physio-Control (REDI-PAK) pads can be used on both the LifePak 500 AED and LifePak 12. Here is a picture and more information.

Our ALS unit with LifePak 12s would simply unplug the pad from the AED and plug it into their machine.

Pads are expensive if you use them often. It looks like paddles cost around $500, which may make sense depending on how many times you use the pads.

Good luck!

Markhk

Forum Lieutenant
Hey Mex,

Here in the USA you have two options. You can buy the pads from the manufacturer or, you can buy an approved "generic" version (kind of like getting brand name Tylenol vs. generic acetaminophen) made by a separate company that is usually cheaper. Both are FDA approved, but of course Medtronic Physio-Control will tell you to buy their pads for liability issues or warranty.

Just as an example, this website here sells the Medtronic Physio-Control version for $37. (http://www.aedsuperstore.com/physio-control-adult-electrode-pads-with-quik-combo-leads-in.html)

Another company, that makes the Medi-Trace brand, retails for $28. (https://shop.life-assist.com/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?IGRN=150)

The nice feature about the Medtronic Physio-Control family of products is that they all use the same type of electrode pads connector. So as long as you see "Quik-Combo" you should be fine even if it was taken off a Lifepak 500 or Lifepak 20. Be careful about "FAST-PATCH" pads though - most departments don't use them anymore but these are pads that need to be "snapped on" to a special Fast-Patch defibrillator cable. The cables look like this:
http://www.foremostequipment.com/th...ic-Physio-ControlFAST-PATCH-Adapter-Cable.jpg This cable is NOT compatible with Quik-Combo pads.

Jay

Forum Lieutenant
The Physio-Control (REDI-PAK) pads can be used on both the LifePak 500 AED and LifePak 12.

Good! Someone still promoting and using the LifePak 500 for BLS/AED use. I tried the LifePak CR in a recent training class and from that experience can only assume that CR is short for "CRap" because I would not feel safe or comfortable using that device in the field, I was told that it is newer and better but never had to plug and unplug pads so many times and reset the device to have to start over with the LifePak 500. Even if the pads work with the LifePak 500 & CR models (side note) I would still stay as far away from the CR as humanly possible.

Just curious if anyone else out there had a similar experience with this AED. Post a reply and let me know, I am curious.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I've worked at places that have used the LifePak 500, LifePak CR+, ZollAED+, and most recently the Philips HeartStart. I personally like the LifePak 500 because of its simplicity and durability. The ZollAED+ has lots of pictures, a helpful voice, and a CPR metronome/coach.

I know that places started purchasing the CR+ when they stopped producing the LifePak 500. The CR+ offers a "fully automatic" version which some saw as an upgrade.

I'm fully comfortable in my button-pushing training and feel comfortable pushing the "shock" button.