Decisions

jaksasquatch

Forum Crew Member
Hello all,

Just to let you know my background I'm an 18 yr. old guy who enjoys studying my EMT textbook. The problem is I'm in a bit of a pickle, I'm a certified EMT-B in the state of FL. I'm also currently registered for the Spring Semester Medic program at College of Central Florida. I have no EMT experience as I'm a pretty fresh graduate (Aug 2013) and the job market for single certs is tough in central FL. Moving is not really an option (I'm in the Ocala area btw), unless it's to PA (Somerset County) where my grandparents live. Originally I was leaning towards just going to paramedic school, getting my cert and moving from there. But recently I'm having doubts if that is the best thing for my future patients. Will my experiences in clinicals be enough to firmly cement both my BLS and ALS? I was told that you can have a paramedic cert but work as an EMT, is this true?

Wheel

Forum Asst. Chief
Hello all,

Just to let you know my background I'm an 18 yr. old guy who enjoys studying my EMT textbook. The problem is I'm in a bit of a pickle, I'm a certified EMT-B in the state of FL. I'm also currently registered for the Spring Semester Medic program at College of Central Florida. I have no EMT experience as I'm a pretty fresh graduate (Aug 2013) and the job market for single certs is tough in central FL. Moving is not really an option (I'm in the Ocala area btw), unless it's to PA (Somerset County) where my grandparents live. Originally I was leaning towards just going to paramedic school, getting my cert and moving from there. But recently I'm having doubts if that is the best thing for my future patients. Will my experiences in clinicals be enough to firmly cement both my BLS and ALS? I was told that you can have a paramedic cert but work as an EMT, is this true?

I went straight through school and turned out ok. It can be done, but I think I would have been better off had I worked for six months as an EMT, just to be familiar with the operations side. It's very dependent on the person and their background.

NJEMT95

Forum Lieutenant
I think the fact you're asking this question shows a good chance of it working out fine. As long as you remember that you don't know everything about how EMS works on the streets - even when you become a paramedic - you'll be able to learn as you go. Just remember to keep asking questions and be open to learning.

OP
OP
J

jaksasquatch

Forum Crew Member
I think the fact you're asking this question shows a good chance of it working out fine. As long as you remember that you don't know everything about how EMS works on the streets - even when you become a paramedic - you'll be able to learn as you go. Just remember to keep asking questions and be open to learning.

Thanks for the advice. I guess I'll make my decision in a few days as classes start.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
You'll do fine. Ambulance clinical will be a little more challenging than if you had some EMT experience, but it's definitely not a deal breaker.