Damn that's hot

vquintessence

Forum Captain
Tx 63 Y/O female c valid DNR from nursing facility to ED. The woman had a plethera health problems, was in facility due to UTI. Well we're dispatched for sudden resp distress:

Thick, coarse bilat rhonchi c poor tidal vol, RR < 8, BP 60/P, "Ah, show us DNR right now... thanks". The womans obviously septic and going toward the light but just wanted to share this:

ED rectal temp was 107.3 Poor womans brain must have been cooking. ED immediately called for neuro consult. Heatstroke can get much higher, but still, I've never seen a septic pt get that febrile.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
"thats hot".

Gotta love the nursing home that will sit on a patient this sick for long enough to let it build. Awesome.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Actually many times if sepsis has been present long term they become hypothermic rather than remain hyperthermic.

DV_EMT

Forum Asst. Chief
I was actually admitted to the hospital a few weeks ago for bilateral pneumonia... PO fever was 104.3 which was pretty damn hot for me. I've hit 103.5 before and knocked it down with APAP, but at 104.3, i decided it was time to take a ride with my beautiful fiancee (who's also a neuro nurse).

and man.... did my vitals compensate like a ped's patient. went from bp 130/90 (ish) and P 94 to bp 82/40 P 130 just from driving from the house to the ED. apparently I was goin into shock pretty quick. glad I decided that 104.3 was too hot!

Stewart1990

Forum Crew Member
"thats hot".

Gotta love the nursing home that will sit on a patient this sick for long enough to let it build. Awesome.

I pity the people who think putting their loved ones in a nursing home thinking that they will get better care....

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Actually many times if sepsis has been present long term they become hypothermic rather than remain hyperthermic.

Agreed. As well, the patient's oral and core temps can be vastly different. The higher the core temp, the cooler the skin may feel. Rectal temperatures are not routinely taken. Sepsis can present and deteriorate quickly.

I have seen countless EMS patients come in with "BS fever call" comments made by the crew in the ED only to see the patient being prepped for intubaton and a central line before they can finish their paperwork. What is even more amazing is these EMT(P)s can not provide a number for the "fever" or a time it was taken. It is also difficult to determine how long it may have taken the ambulance to free up a truck for an old person, who is probably a DNR anyway, in a nursing home which is just a "BS fever call". Unfortunately for the patients, DNR always means Do Not Treat to some in EMS.

Sasha

Forum Chief
I pity the people who think putting their loved ones in a nursing home thinking that they will get better care....

In some nursing homes they are.

Of course, we don't see those nursing homes very often because their patients are taken better care of, but old people do tend to get sick.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Agreed. As well, the patient's oral and core temps can be vastly different. The higher the core temp, the cooler the skin may feel. Rectal temperatures are not routinely taken. Sepsis can present and deteriorate quickly.

I have seen countless EMS patients come in with "BS fever call" comments made by the crew in the ED only to see the patient being prepped for intubaton and a central line before they can finish their paperwork. What is even more amazing is these EMT(P)s can not provide a number for the "fever" or a time it was taken. It is also difficult to determine how long it may have taken the ambulance to free up a truck for an old person, who is probably a DNR anyway, in a nursing home which is just a "BS fever call". Unfortunately for the patients, DNR always means Do Not Treat to some in EMS.

Sad that the lack of education and lack of motivation by many in EMS is killing so many. No matter how BS I think something is I always treat the patient like they were someone I loved. If I would do something for my loved one I will do it for this stranger.

Now I do fault nursing homes for failing to dial 911 when they have someone seriously ill and instead wait on the contract ambulance.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Now I do fault nursing homes for failing to dial 911 when they have someone seriously ill and instead wait on the contract ambulance.

They are darned if they do and darned if they don't. Have you ever witnessed a 911 EMS team blast nurses, and forget about the patient, for calling for a "fever"? The nurses may recognize the signs and symptoms of sepsis by the trend in the vital signs log including the I/Os but some of these things may mean little to Paramedic who "run only emergencies". And, the nurses will also have to justify their call to their superiors who are equally critical. Unfortunately, the nurses are also very limited without a lot of diagnostic data availabe to them when they make the determination to call an ambulance.

Considering the thousands of patients in nursing homes in some areas, the percentage of ambulance calls to nursing homes is relatively small and their trips to the doctor/hospital may be not much different than if they would living at home by themselves or with family. Residents in nursing homes are usually elderly, frail and very medically compromised. It is a tall order for even loved ones or the best of nursing homes to keep their bodies going.

medic417

The Truth Provider
They are darned if they do and darned if they don't. Have you ever witnessed a 911 EMS team blast nurses, and forget about the patient, for calling for a "fever"? The nurses may recognize the signs and symptoms of sepsis by the trend in the vital signs log including the I/Os but some of these things may mean little to Paramedic who "run only emergencies". And, the nurses will also have to justify their call to their superiors who are equally critical. Unfortunately, the nurses are also very limited without a lot of diagnostic data availabe to them when they make the determination to call an ambulance.

And? I mean they know the patient needs immediate medical care if they follow the orders and call contract service and are told an hour surely they should know that the patient is in need of care sooner than that and should call 911. If the 911 medics give them grief report the idiots. If your boss gives you grief for doing whats right for the patient explain why, if they still give you grief you need a new job. I do understand the nurses are caught in a bad place but just as you always say it is about what is right for the patient not us. That applys to nurses just as well as EMS.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
And? I mean they know the patient needs immediate medical care if they follow the orders and call contract service and are told an hour surely they should know that the patient is in need of care sooner than that and should call 911. If the 911 medics give them grief report the idiots. If your boss gives you grief for doing whats right for the patient explain why, if they still give you grief you need a new job. I do understand the nurses are caught in a bad place but just as you always say it is about what is right for the patient not us. That applys to nurses just as well as EMS.

Many EMT(P)s do get reported for attitudes and it will reflect when contract negotations come around.

Just like the many threads where EMT(P)s can not figure out whether something is BLS or ALS, the same situation also occurs in the nursing homes. Also, the ambulance services and the EMT(P)s can cause confusion as to the level of care. In parts of Florida, almost everyone is a Paramedic (waiting to get on with the FDs) but are working BLS services. The nurses at the nursing homes get used to seeing all Paramedic patches and may take it that they can function as a Paramedic.

We recently has another thread to which I posted the requirements the various insurances (private, government etc) have for calling 911. As well, the city or county itself may restrict it. Possibly if more people were aware of some of these contracts, they would be upset. As well, if those in EMS investigated their own company's contract with various LTC facilities, they would have a better understanding as to why the patient is not always the priority in the U.S. healthcare system.

There are now a few hospitals that have their own ambulance services just to do calls with the LTC facilites that use them. This eliminates alot of problems with the "contracts" with EMS, provides a better understanding and consistency in level of care as medical professionasl speak in similar terms (not ALS or BLS), and improved quality control of the providers.

Last edited by a moderator:

WannaBeFlight

Forum Lieutenant
In regards to the attitude of medics, I worked in a Fam. Prac setting and I f I had not witnessed it for my own eyes I would never believed this would happen: We called for a probable Heart Attack for a 84 y/o male pt that was not established with us, just walked in (kinda a rural area), EMS arrives,they did not bring in the gurney, did not bring in a medical bag or O2, or the cardiac monitor, then decided to argue with my doc wether the patient really needed to be trasported, they literally said, "this pt does not need to be transported, his wife (82 y/o) can drive him to the ED...pt then went downhill...they were adament not to transport the pt, ended up not having a choice. My doctor made a personal complaint with the ED doc and their supervisor and department chief. Not good. I just cant see arriving on scene with NOTHING in hand!!!! And then want to argue about it in front of the patient. Crazy!

Last edited by a moderator:

WannaBeFlight

Forum Lieutenant
Oh and they were both Paramedics!

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
paris-hilton-thats-hot.jpg

Sasha

Forum Chief
In regards to the attitude of medics, I worked in a Fam. Prac setting and I f I had not witnessed it for my own eyes I would never believed this would happen: We called for a probable Heart Attack for a 84 y/o male pt that was not established with us, just walked in (kinda a rural area), EMS arrives,they did not bring in the gurney, did not bring in a medical bag or O2, or the cardiac monitor, then decided to argue with my doc wether the patient really needed to be trasported, they literally said, "this pt does not need to be transported, his wife (82 y/o) can drive him to the ED...pt then went downhill...they were adament not to transport the pt, ended up not having a choice. My doctor made a personal complaint with the ED doc and their supervisor and department chief. Not good. I just cant see arriving on scene with NOTHING in hand!!!! And then want to argue about it in front of the patient. Crazy!

We've called 911 a few times, have always been met with eye rolling, a condescending attitude, "BS call" mentality and disregard. Even towards the doctors. It's turned me off wanting to work on a truck.

Why don't people understand the only reason that they were called was because we're a clinic and don't transport?

reaper

Working Bum

Let me guess, Asheville?

reaper

Working Bum
We've called 911 a few times, have always been met with eye rolling, a condescending attitude, "BS call" mentality and disregard. Even towards the doctors. It's turned me off wanting to work on a truck.

Why don't people understand the only reason that they were called was because we're a clinic and don't transport?

More reason to work on a truck! Change the attitudes from the inside.;)

VentMedic

Forum Chief
I see what the T-Shirt says, but who or what is she referring to?

Surely not herself?

Not even close to doing the words justice.