Dallas / Philadelphia EMT

Downwithdisease

Forum Ride Along
Hello all:

Just got my EMT license a few months ago. I'm in Dallas and moving to Philadelphia at the end of the year. Dallas and most surrounding municipalities use fire-based EMS. What I need to know is: where should I look for entry-level experience, so that when I start looking for jobs in Philadelphia I can have some clinical hours to show for myself? I have a few hundred hours volunteering overseas in essentially the same capacity, for what it's worth, but I don't imagine that says much to prospective employers.

I'll be very appreciative for any and all advice. Thanks!

Sam

325Medic

Forum Lieutenant
In Philly, you have a bunch of transport companies and in the surrounding counties, there are 911 jobs that hire new EMT's. The Philly Fire Dept. only hires Paramedics for the squad / Fire Service medics and the firefighters are EMT-B's. Hope this helps Sam. P.M. me if needed. I used to work critical care in Philly / Temple. I am in Bucks County-lower end now, for the last 11 years.

rescue1

Forum Asst. Chief
I would look to see if there are any volunteer agencies close-ish to the DFW area...though I think it's primarily a paid operation.

In Philly (well, the suburbs), you probably won't get hired to do 911 work without experience, but there are a bunch of IFT companies that you could probably get on with even as a brand new basic. TransCare is a big one. However, there are more volunteer opportunies then you can shake a stick at, and you'll have several paramedic programs in the area.

City of Philadelphia Fire-Rescue runs EMS in the city. They hire paramedics constantly, but the EMTs are firefighters, so you'd have to get your medic to be hired there. Also, burnout there is very high, Philly has the busiest ambulances in America.

rescue1

Forum Asst. Chief
325Medic, which 911 agencies are you thinking of that hire brand new basics? All the ones near me require at least a year experience.

325Medic

Forum Lieutenant
325Medic, which 911 agencies are you thinking of that hire brand new basics? All the ones near me require at least a year experience.

Rescue1:

Newtown Ambulance (transports starting off) Levittown-Fairless Hills EMS, Yardley-Makefield EMS are just a few. Those except for LFHRS are near the central end of Bucks. Where may I ask are you? I am in Bristol / near the Philly border. These are from experience and what I have seen in the past year...Not for nothing, it IS who you know also sometimes. I have seen firefighters that work for a certain township hired as new EMT-B's also. I am NOT speaking for those compaines I stated / just telling you what I have seen.

Last edited by a moderator:

rescue1

Forum Asst. Chief
I work in central Chester County, near Coatsville. Where I work they wanted a year of 911 experience before hire, and all the other places I looked around here did too. Some stations require fire certs too. It's still kinda a big volunteer area, so I think there's more of a push for experienced paid staff. I can't really speak for Delco, and the only montco station I looked at was SARS. It looks like Bucks is different too.