Curious

wadford

Forum Crew Member
Hey guys, I hope this is the right place to post this. I am an EMT-B student right now and I was wondering what the best way was to memorize protocols, what to do at NREMT on the stations, signs and symptoms of common medical complaints. Rather, what did you do that worked best?

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
Hey guys, I hope this is the right place to post this. I am an EMT-B student right now and I was wondering what the best way was to memorize protocols, what to do at NREMT on the stations, signs and symptoms of common medical complaints. Rather, what did you do that worked best?

In medicine, memorization is not the best option. There are so many things to learn that it is impossible to remember everything. Instead of memorization, study the hows and the whys. Ask yourself why a specific patient needs a certain treatment and what causes the underlying condition. Memorization of protocols results in what we call "Cookbook Medicine" where an individual relies so heavily on protocols for everything that they no longer treat the patient's condition instead they blindly follow protocols. I have very rarely had a situation where I followed the protocol to a "t" and carried out every step in order.. it just doesn't happen. I usually find myself implementing parts of several protocols into a single treatment method.

As far as the NREMT goes, the NR has skill sheets available:

here is a link: http://www.nremt.org/nremt/about/exam_coord_man.asp#BSkillSheets

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
^ agreed. The only memorization you should focus on is the NR skill sheets. Learn how things work, what happens when they no longer work correctly, and what is needed to help correct the problem.

OP
OP
wadford

wadford

Forum Crew Member
Thanks guys, I guess part of my brain is just freaking out. Thinking what if I don't memorize something and that something is what could save someone you know? I'm completely overreacting probably. Its just that the reality of what I will be doing is sinking in, I'm still excited about it though. Its just settling in I suppose. Is that normal?

JPINFV

Gadfly
Yes, and the first time you screw up it's probably going to tear you to pieces. We all, however, screw up from time to time.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Every call I have been on that his been more than a standard call makes me think twice about how I did, but I am gaining confidence. You'd be crazy to not be nervous, and arguably downright ignorant.