Croup & Cool Night Air

nwhitney

Forum Captain
How might cool night air reduce edema for a child with croup thus providing some relief?

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
Take the kid to the hospital.

Sure it could be croup but it also could be RSV or epiglotittis. Take him to the hospital before he slams shut on you like my bedroom door after I forget the honey do list, then its game over.

We don't give medical advice here.

OP
OP
nwhitney

nwhitney

Forum Captain
Take the kid to the hospital.

Sure it could be croup but it also could be RSV or epiglotittis. Take him to the hospital before he slams shut on you like my bedroom door after I forget the honey do list, then its game over.

We don't give medical advice here.

Thanks but I'm not looking for advice on what to do rather how cool night air could reduce edema in a child with croup. I'm interested in the science behind cool air, edema and croup.

crazycajun

Forum Captain
How might cool night air reduce edema for a child with croup thus providing some relief?

A lot would have to do with how much humidity is in the air. Adding more liquid vapor in cold form will make croup worse.

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
Thanks but I'm not looking for advice on what to do rather how cool night air could reduce edema in a child with croup. I'm interested in the science behind cool air, edema and croup.

Well in that case carry on. :)

MSDeltaFlt

RRT/NRP

Same science behind those oxygen mist tents. Cool moist air moves easier. Couple that with an irritated and inflamed/swollen trachea, it definitely helps in reducing the edema.

Think about it. Trachea is reddened, irritated. Whatever is coming into contact with it should be cooled and moist.