OP
OP
S

snowman

Forum Ride Along
ya forget it then to much of a hassle and risk to myself and my doctor it seems

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
OK, I'll take one for the team and say it. Please for the love of all that is good in the the world capitalize, and use punctuation and spell check. Please.

Just because a medication has a side effect listed doesn't mean you'll get that side effect. If the medications might work I think it is a good idea to try them before going straight to MMJ. I also agree with everyone else that no employer will hire you due to all the complicating factors. What would happen if you got into a crash? Or made a medical mistake that was investigated? Your marijuana use would automatically be blamed, and you and your employer held liable.

Also, depending on the type of job you get as an EMT you may find that your Chron's makes it nearly impossible to work. In a system status management system you may not have access to a bathroom at all times.

Last edited by a moderator:

BandageBrigade

Forum Lieutenant
Heck, it doesn't even have to be ssm. Just a busy service, long.transfer, ect ect..

EMSDude54343

Forum Lieutenant
Like everyone has said, ZERO chance...
If you still want to be in EMS, try taking the other medications. It’s not guaranteed that you will have any of the side effects. And if your body doesn’t take well to one, try a different one. It’s probably going to take a bit of time, but after a little while you and your doctor should be able to come up with a medication plan that will help, and allow you to work in this field.
Best of luck to you, and don’t give up.

Now what i really think about this topic:ph34r: .... crap, nevermind ...

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
Sorry I'm late on this one.

I was recently diagnosed with a condition that involves a lot of chronic pain. I understand how you feel, because when faced with the options of tricyclic antidepressants, antiepileptics, or heavy-duty opiods... it's hard to write off medical marijuana, especially being in a state that permits it.

However, as JP noted, the big problem is that it is still illegal federally. In my state many agencies, including the one I work for, have addressed the confusion caused by conflicting federal and state laws by implementing policies that specifically forbid employees from using marijuana, even for medical use, and even if you're not coming into work intoxicated. And again, as JP stated, even if your state permits it and your work permits it (unlikely in EMS), you can always get nabbed by the Feds.

In light of the possibility of federal charges and losing my job, I decided medical marijuana will be a last resort for me. If I reach that point, it will mean I've exhausted all other legal options and the pain is still bad enough I'm willing to give up my job and any future in EMS.

I recommend you look at this choice the same way. If you decide to try MJ, you are taking a huge gamble on your future in this field. I do know of people in EMS who use MJ at home and keep it a secret, but everyday they go to work they're rolling the dice. What happens when they get into a fender bender, and the company does a urine drug test per policy?

I don't know a whole lot about it, but I've read about sulfasalazine... the side effects seem very minor. They honestly seem no worse than a simple antibiotic. If this is what your doctor is recommending for you... try it first before considering something illegal. There's a very good chance you won't have any side effects, or they'll be so minor that the benefits greatly outweigh the cons.

By the way, I was hesitant to try amitriptyline (a tricyclic) due to the side effects and the long list of drugs that have severe interactions with it. However, now that I've tried it, I love it and have noticed NO side effects. I've greatly reduced the frequency and severity of my pain episodes by using it, a couple of other meds, modifiying my diet and a few other non-Rx tricks recommended by my doc. I also don't have the fear of getting arrested or losing my job looming over me.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
Also, depending on the type of job you get as an EMT you may find that your Chron's makes it nearly impossible to work. In a system status management system you may not have access to a bathroom at all times.

By the way, don't get discouraged by comments such as this. Although it's absolutely true, it's no reason to give up on EMS and the key word is "may". It's just something to consider. A lot of it depends on how severe your Crohn's is and how well you manage it.

I have interstitial cystitis which is like having a UTI every day with moderate to severe pelvic pain. I was able to figure out how to work with greatly restricted bathroom access even before I was diagnosed and treated with minimal effects on my job performance. With treatment it's even easier. However, there are some people with the same diagnosis that have such severe symptoms they cannot work.. like Crohn's when severe it is recognized as a disability by the SSA.

If you feel like you can do it, go ahead and try because you probably can. I'm sure there are online forums for Crohn's... find one. Fellow patients can give you priceless advice and support. I wouldn't be surprised if you also find EMTs or other first responders with the disease who can give you some tips. I did.

Last edited by a moderator:

cynikalkat

Forum Lieutenant
I'm sure there are online forums for Crohn's... find one. Fellow patients can give you priceless advice and support. I wouldn't be surprised if you also find EMTs or other first responders with the disease who can give you some tips. I did.

Definitely go find some support. I had a serious medical condition that I wont name and was able to find LOADS of support on-line, as well as lots of resources.

Also,side note, please heed the doctors telling you to follow the diet. I can't tell you how many people I worked with in social work who refused to follow the diet and then were miserable. (This is coming from a gluten-intolerant person, if you ever need any help with it, PM me)

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
By the way, don't get discouraged by comments such as this. Although it's absolutely true, it's no reason to give up on EMS and the key word is "may". It's just something to consider. A lot of it depends on how severe your Crohn's is and how well you manage it.

I have interstitial cystitis which is like having a UTI every day with moderate to severe pelvic pain. I was able to figure out how to work with greatly restricted bathroom access even before I was diagnosed and treated with minimal effects on my job performance. With treatment it's even easier. However, there are some people with the same diagnosis that have such severe symptoms they cannot work.. like Crohn's when severe it is recognized as a disability by the SSA.

If you feel like you can do it, go ahead and try because you probably can. I'm sure there are online forums for Crohn's... find one. Fellow patients can give you priceless advice and support. I wouldn't be surprised if you also find EMTs or other first responders with the disease who can give you some tips. I did.

Agreed, its all on a case by case basis. How bad does the condition effect you. my great Gramps has it, doesn't effect him much at all. Still pounds beers and goes on the boat for long fishing trips. But I have transported patients who have had 1 mixed drink and were profoundly unconscious and had a C bag, and were very young.

18G

Paramedic
The whole marijuana issue in this Country is way messed up and needs to be made legal to end all this non-sense.

States make it legal, the Feds turn their faces and essentially condone it, yet when marijuana is prescribed legally, it doesn't hold the same weight as say a prescription for Ativan or Oxycodone. Makes absolutely no sense.

As other's have said until the Federal government say's it's legal it would more than likely prevent you from getting (or keeping) a job.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
And we have a problem with giving medical and legal advice ..why?

:wacko:.....

inthedeep

Forum Ride Along
It's ironic that people in the medical field know as little as they do about marijuana. Don't feel bad for smoking it, and don't let anyone here make you feel bad for it either. Some of the smartest and most successful people I know do.

I also know several EMTs that smoke it (of course not on shift)

If you are looking to get into firefighting however, that's a different story and there is absolutely no way to get around that. Fire Departments usually want you clean for over several years before they will even consider you. At least around here.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
It's ironic that people in the medical field know as little as they do about marijuana. Don't feel bad for smoking it, and don't let anyone here make you feel bad for it either. Some of the smartest and most successful people I know do.

If you are looking to get into firefighting however, that's a different story and there is absolutely no way to get around that. Fire Departments usually want you clean for over several years before they will even consider you. At least around here.

Most companies in this area require drug testing following a motor vehicle accident. If your partner was driving, and he was not at fault, you still have to take a drug test, and will be fired if it comes back positive.

inthedeep

Forum Ride Along
I guess it really depends on where you are and if the risks are worth it to you. I suppose some places would be more strict than others, but again I know a few EMT's that smoke in their off time and I don't think any less of them for it, but they haven't gotten into any accidents either! I'm not sure the local policy.

It would definatley be something I'd check into before continuing further.

JPINFV

Gadfly
I think you're also mistaking an honest assessment of a situation with personal views. What I think about marijuana use and how I think companies are going to approach marijuana use are not necessarily the same.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
What JP said. It doesn't matter what I think of marijuana, 99% of companies will still seriously punish or fire someone who tests positive for marijuana, especially if the test is ordered due to an incident like a MVC.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
It's a reliability check not a pharmacy review.

1. It is against the law.
2. It is generally not medically required (and if it is, THC will do the same job without the high); therefore it is recreational (unless you are a Rasta, etc).
3. So you exhibit the propensity to flaunt one serious law. The case can be made that you will be prone to flaunt other restrictions like protocols etc.
4. This holds true if you substituted "bouncing" or "kiting checks"; "cheating at cards"; or "habitual truancy".

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief

I have a feeling that for everyone 1 of your smart and successfuls I can show you 50 unsuccessful, lazy sad sacks.