Critical Care study tips

socalmedic

Mediocre at best
my goal is to have CCP-C, FP-C, and maby even CCEMT-P by june. I need to start studying critical care topics that will be on the test and in the classes. what books, web-sites, other resources do you guys recommend to study from? do any of you have any tips or pointers you have picked up along the way?

Scott33

Forum Asst. Chief
Take the CCEMT-P class first if you want all three. This should better prepare you for the other two.

The following are some of the textbooks which may help you. Once you are comfortable with the material, I would strongly recommend Will Wingfield's ACE SAT book (#10 on the list) for sample questions, answers, and rationales.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...ield-keywords=critical+care+paramedic&x=0&y=0

Start reviewing common lab values, acid-base balance, and invasive monitoring parameters / waveforms.

OP
OP
socalmedic

socalmedic

Mediocre at best
Thank you, Anyone else? help is appreciated! any recommendations on finding the books on the cheap, anybody have E-books, or paperbacks I could buy?

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
www.icufaqs.org and www.ccmtutorials.com are some free resources, albeit a bit dated in places.

Understand having the FP-C and CCP-C in the absence of critical care transport experience or formal education may not give you any leg up in an interview process.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
the most important things in critical care are 2.

1. Why?

2. How do things interact together?

You can read books of procedures, diagnostics, and medicines, but if you do not know these 2 things, you will never be able to truly provide critical care.

I have heard it said that "critical care isn't a place, it is a mindset." That has been evident in practice everyday.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
I have heard it said that "critical care isn't a place, it is a mindset." That has been evident in practice everyday.
Very, very, very true words. A true CCM clinician can probably provide a high level of care in a mud hut with some dial-a-flows and a BVM. A crappy one will kill people in the biggest, baddest ICU you can think of.

At the end of the day CCM boils down to supporting tissue oxygenation so the body can heal itself.