Crime Scene Stories

Coptrainer

Forum Probie
Hey troops!

I'm a retired Detective Sergeant who is currently in Paramedic School. We have a class project due at the end of the semester. I've decided to do my project on EMS handling of crime scenes.

Do you have a crime scene story you'd like to share? My focus is on handling evidence rather than scene safety, but dealing with crime scenes in general is within the realm of the paper.

Thanks!

Bob

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Hey troops!

I'm a retired Detective Sergeant who is currently in Paramedic School. We have a class project due at the end of the semester. I've decided to do my project on EMS handling of crime scenes.

Do you have a crime scene story you'd like to share? My focus is on handling evidence rather than scene safety, but dealing with crime scenes in general is within the realm of the paper.

Thanks!

Bob

Classic story relating to this was a suicide by hanging. The two responders, fresh from a class on evidence and legal issues focused on it being a crime scene and didn't cut the patient down. Turns out he still had a pulse.

Biggest problem I've seen is when the two agencies, with very different agendas are on the same scene, we need to remember that as EMS, our first concern (after our safety) is the patient. It's good to be mindful of the LEOs need for preserving evidence but not at the cost of the pt's well being.

bunkie

Forum Asst. Chief
Not related to the OP:
We're told avoid disturbing the scene as much as possible. And to avoid cutting through holes/knots if its possible. So we're on the mindset to cut them down, just not through the knot.
Did the PT make it?

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Not related to the OP:
We're told avoid disturbing the scene as much as possible. And to avoid cutting through holes/knots if its possible. So we're on the mindset to cut them down, just not through the knot.
Did the PT make it?

No, it was Pierce County in our mutual state, many, many, many years ago.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
As a medic student I responded to a tramatic code that turned out to be a homicide. I entered the bathroom of a small Manhattan apartment first. I found a patient with the suspect doing CPR. I had to exit to let the suspect out so the crew could fit. My preceptor was still entering the apartment passed me and the suspect and entered the bathroom unaware of what happaned 5 seconds prior. My preceptor, the other medic myself and a BLS unit continued CPR and did not discuss the call afterwards.

I talked to the detective at the ER at the end of the call and made him aware of what happened. He decided to call me to testify becasue I was a medic student and would not get paid to do so by my employer so he called my preceptor. My preceptor testified in court about entering the bathroom first. This discrepency did not have an out come on the trial at all.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
I'd have thought you could teach us!

(We might be former coworkers?).
Remember where you walked and touched.
Don't eat or smoke at the scene.
Put your gloves on the minute you think it is a crime scene, if not sooner.
If the det asks you to bag the victim's hands, don't use plastic suction liners.
If you go on lots of crime runs, carry spare boots for multiple reasons.

Ask to be deposed ASAP and not after you have had time to think things over.

Don't join in convincing crime victims to testify, the detectives will do that.

Don't restrain patients for officers.

If an officer insists upon taking you patient, politely but firmly insist that you are required to get name and or badge number. Failing that, get plate number of the car the pt is put into, or finally of any other car belonging to witnesses.

If possible, get the detective's card and call her/him if you receive any communications from persons alleging to be involved with the case.

Do not talk to the press. Do not talk to anyone who will talk to the press or anyone else*.

That help you, sgt??....

*Except us, of course!

Last edited by a moderator:

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
He decided to call me to testify becasue I was a medic student and would not get paid to do so by my employer so he called my preceptor. My preceptor testified in court about entering the bathroom first.

I'm sorry, somebody falsely testified in court because somebody wasn't going to get paid? Does anybody see a problem with this?

This discrepency did not have an out come on the trial at all.

But it very well could have. If somehow the lie had been detected, the entire case could have been put into jeopardy. In court, once you catch somebody in one lie, everything else they say is regarded as possibly dishonest.

Why not just testify honestly? Not everybody gets paid to testify in court.

Last edited by a moderator:

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
(We might be former coworkers?).
Remember where you walked and touched.
Don't eat or smoke at the scene.
Put your gloves on the minute you think it is a crime scene, if not sooner.
If the det asks you to bag the victim's hands, don't use plastic suction liners.
If you go on lots of crime runs, carry spare boots for multiple reasons.

Ask to be deposed ASAP and not after you have had time to think things over.

Don't join in convincing crime victims to testify, the detectives will do that.

Don't restrain patients for officers.

If an officer insists upon taking you patient, politely but firmly insist that you are required to get name and or badge number. Failing that, get plate number of the car the pt is put into, or finally of any other car belonging to witnesses.

If possible, get the detective's card and call her/him if you receive any communications from persons alleging to be involved with the case.

Do not talk to the press. Do not talk to anyone who will talk to the press or anyone else*.

That help you, sgt??....

*Except us, of course!
I would discourage even posting about it here. If "wind" reaches either side in the case, any details you post here might be used by someone to try to impeach you as a witness to the crime scene. The reason I say this is that if what you state in deposition and/or on the witness stand conflicts with what you stated you saw (say on this forum)... you might just end up being on the hot seat for a while... even though you're not under oath here...

Wait until after the case is over... at the trial level.

OP
OP
C

Coptrainer

Forum Probie
Thanks

Thanks for the replies folks. Great stories. If you were going to read an article on handling crime scenes, what info would you like covered???

Again, THANKS!