Creating paramedics for a country that has none...

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
Creating paramedics for a country that has none

DENVER - Dr. Nguyen Thai Tri is a Vietnamese doctor who has been in Colorado for six months learning to be a paramedic. It is something his country desperately needs.

Even ambulances are in short supply; the capitol of Hanoi has nearly 8 million people and only 12 ambulances.

St. Anthony Central Hospital is working to improve the care in Vietnam by sending supplies and bringing physicians like Tri to Colorado to live and learn. The St. Anthony program also sends American doctors and paramedics to Vietnam with equipment to help modernize their medical practices and teach more health providers about the types of medical care that are in the U.S.

"The goal is that they're going to start a paramedic program in Hanoi. Dr Tri is going to be one of the principal educators for that school," Japp said.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
I guess "barefoot doctors" didn't cut it.

The Vietnamese people are as a whole resourceful, strong willed and as family and clan oriented in some cases as any other non-western European nation run by a communist government. Wish them well.

Do we have any members who are of the Vietnamese persuasion?

Last edited by a moderator:

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
It just don't make sense!

I'm going to stick my neck out here.

8 million people and twelve ambulances?

Who do you imagine they go to?

Money talks; nobody walks.

There is no way in Hades this would be an ambulance service for the people.

For the Select Few; yes -- those with a doctor ready to admit to the hospital that the common folk can't even get in to. And do you think that Responding Unit One would be diverted from Mr. Xi having a heart attack to Mr. Xu, S.O.B. because Mr. Xu is a MAJOR contributor to the hospital?

In a country like that, stuff like that needs to start small, and if not initiated by the people themselves, at least embraced by them wholeheartedly.

Push for Advanced EMS to a country that doesn't have enough BASIC receiving stations to do the job? I think not. Why not take that money and effort to make Basic Receiving Stations?

The people need somewhere to go, not something to get them there.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
so there are no hospitals in Vietnam or at least none for the general public?