CPR when its not needed

Milla3P

Forum Lieutenant
Had a partner at an IFT co tell me he worked a code at his BLS university service and "We couldn't get the OPA in because of the rigor"

Meursault

Organic Mechanic
I am deeply traumatised now. One of our crews got called back in to a dialysis center after leaving with their patient. Another pt in the center had gone into cardiac arrest. My colleauge said the center staff were doing compressions at about 80 per min at a depth of about 1/4". The person using the BVM didn't have a good seal and the chest wasn't rising at all. My two colleagues jumped into the rescue until an ALS truck got there. It's not just 'unnecessary' CPR but inadequate CPR as well.

Hey, at least they were trying. Last arrest I had, the medics had to shoo away one of the dialysis techs, who was trying to get the NIBP to work on the corpse.

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
In case they were kidding the first time? :rofl:

In teaching CPR I've come to realize the MD/DO after someone's name does not automatically qualify them as proficient CPR providers. It's scary but I've taught a physician who struggled with CPR. I've had a co-instructor tell me that he had an entire argument with a surgeon over why he needed to know CPR...after all he did have a nurse to do it for him! :glare:

Tell them they should know how to do good CPR so they can tell when the nurses are doing it wrong :)

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
In teaching CPR I've come to realize the MD/DO after someone's name does not automatically qualify them as proficient CPR providers. It's scary but I've taught a physician who struggled with CPR. I've had a co-instructor tell me that he had an entire argument with a surgeon over why he needed to know CPR...after all he did have a nurse to do it for him! :glare:

I've actually seen a trauma surgeon do CPR during my clinical hours. Needless to say she started doing it and I jumped in and offered to take over and she was more than happy to let me but she got a solid round in.

Then again, after she called it she gave me the "good job" pat on the head and speech then told me that was the first time she'd done it in years and was glad that I was right there and willing to jump in.

saskgirl

Forum Crew Member
Hey, at least they were trying. Last arrest I had, the medics had to shoo away one of the dialysis techs, who was trying to get the NIBP to work on the corpse.

Sadly I've had a couple RNs at our local rural hospital do the same thing... "we can't get a BP on this guy!!" "you don't say..."

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Sadly I've had a couple RNs at our local rural hospital do the same thing... "we can't get a BP on this guy!!" "you don't say..."

Apparently they didn't listen to this guy:

he_s-dead-jim-7.jpg

:rofl:

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
There's rigor, and rigor...

"Can't get OPA in due to rigor". Maybe it was trismus?

If you've read my posts you know I think CPR is started inappropriately fairly frequently, and now with new guidelines even more so. This will lead to more "saves" being reported, but it will also hopefully scoop up the fraction of patients who would have expired while someone was trying to find a pulse.
I put my classes through two minutes of CPR. At about forty-five seconds I have to sound the cadence because they are dragging. At one minute I'm urging them on. Some are go-getters and can do it that long, but nearly everyone tends to drag it a little. And NO ONE wants to count out loud.

NJN

The Young One
And NO ONE wants to count out loud.

I get that a lot too when I teach, now my policy is if you don't count out loud, don't count on getting a card.

OP
OP
74restore

74restore

Forum Crew Member
I also teach CPR primarily to college students who were "voluntold" to be there, whether by there parents, or fraternity/sorority...

You can imagine the seriousness they put into learning in this class. We force them to verbalize "Checking the scene, scene is safe, etc" and we also make them count out loud. We make sure they are very aware that we're not afraid to fail them

socalmedic

Mediocre at best
just two days ago I rolled up on scene to find bystander one (6'2" 220lbs) doing textbook compressions on a victim lying in the middle of the street. as soon as we put the amblam in park bystander two said "dude, you can stop now the paramedics are here". not three seconds pass before the "victim" is sitting up in the street telling us that his chest hurt. i then get ready to thank the bystander for "helping" when the victim passes out again and is not breathing...

lesson learned, chest compressions is enough of a stimuli to wake a heroin OD.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
HAHAHAHA!!:rofl:

emt584841

Forum Ride Along
I had something like that...

PD was dispatched to make a mandatory arrest on someone whos assaulted his gf. It just so happened that it was the first week for 6 new officers. 2 cars were dispatched both with 1 rookie each and about 2 minuets in the dispatcher asks for an update one of the officers gets on the radio screaming "send more units need back up on a rush". Sgt pulls up a few minuets later and says "headquarters start EMS it appears they are doing CPR". I get there and they are no longer doing CPR. The patient is on a long board and screaming "my chest". Turns out that the patient (about 300 lbs) didn't take kindly to the officers trying to arrest him so he fought the cops and eventually got knocked out. The officers assumed he was in arrest and started CPR. Oh well.

dacrowley

Forum Probie
I've had a co-instructor tell me that he had an entire argument with a surgeon over why he needed to know CPR...after all he did have a nurse to do it for him! :glare:

Just ask him if he'd have a nurse to do it for him at home if his wife or kids collapsed.

NHemt1

Forum Ride Along
Its something that happens but shouldnt, I got called to the cardiac arresst at a local nursing home. When we arrived we found a fully awake and breathing man with a NRB on and a fully automatic defib on his chest...With a nervous face he looks at me as if the nurse is about to kill him...needless to say I pulled the pads off real quick..:blink:

lsmft

Forum Probie
I put my classes through two minutes of CPR. At about forty-five seconds I have to sound the cadence because they are dragging. At one minute I'm urging them on. Some are go-getters and can do it that long, but nearly everyone tends to drag it a little. And NO ONE wants to count out loud.

Only two minutes!? Man, in my class we had to do 5 minutes solo, then another ten minutes as a tag team. It sucked, but I guess I do feel prepared to actually give CPR.

No one ever wants to count though.

CMHills

Forum Probie
Only two minutes!? Man, in my class we had to do 5 minutes solo, then another ten minutes as a tag team. It sucked, but I guess I do feel prepared to actually give CPR.

No one ever wants to count though.

In my class we had to do twenty minutes, rotating between three people and occasionally going to two-rescuer.

Nowadays when I teach, I just put on "Stayin' Alive" or "Another One Bites the Dust" (depending on the crowd) and tell them to keep pace with the beat. After a few minutes of that I shut the music off and let them go on their own.

And I tell people that if I can't hear them count from across the room, I can't know if they have the ratio right, so they may or may not get a card.

emtnc

Forum Probie
Wow..just think, here in NC the governor just passed a law that all High School students must take/pass a CPR course before graduating. Hmm, good or bad???

lsmft

Forum Probie
Wow..just think, here in NC the governor just passed a law that all High School students must take/pass a CPR course before graduating. Hmm, good or bad???

Sounds like a good idea to me. Should probably be taught in the health class most high schools have. Hopefully the worst thing that could happen is they give inadequate compression...

Although, if they're trying to teach them BLS or whatever, hyperventilating, or blowing into the stomach might actually do some harm.

shiroun

Forum Lieutenant

Atleast NC did SOMETHING right. Not to get into politics here but that law prohibiting gay marriage is absolutely whack.

Also VERY good. When I was in HS we had a kid get an MI in the middle of the lunch room, and it was the day after i'd gotten my CPR cert. I walked in to see about 300 kids just looking at him all concerned, saying "call 911! hurry!" and other bull:censored::censored::censored::censored:.

MAYBE if we had CPR cert'd kids, it'd be better. I like that idea.