CPR for high school students..

Household6

Forum Asst. Chief
Premium Member
My son's school has a graduating class of 14, I'm trying to line up a CPR class for the seniors. Hands-On only is free, Red Cross Certified is about $50 per person..

I spoke with my director of education this morning, she's willing to give the kids a bit of a reduced rate because of the circumstances.

I realize ANY CPR training is better than none, but is there any huge flashing reason why we should get these kids Red Cross certified vs Hands-On?

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
My son's school has a graduating class of 14, I'm trying to line up a CPR class for the seniors. Hands-On only is free, Red Cross Certified is about $50 per person..

I spoke with my director of education this morning, she's willing to give the kids a bit of a reduced rate because of the circumstances.

I realize ANY CPR training is better than none, but is there any huge flashing reason why we should get these kids Red Cross certified vs Hands-On?

Nope, unless they might need it for work in the next year or so. Lifeguards, EMTs, CNAs, babysitting, etc.

Just the awareness and hands-on practice goes a long way to meeting those goals.

joshrunkle35

EMT-P/RN
They can put it as a skill on a job application. Some random employers even in the business world like to have staff that have CPR training. I'd go with the certification, just so the kids appreciate the training a little more in the end, and take it seriously.

Brandon O

Puzzled by facies
Large-scale hands-only is great stuff. I'd recommend it.

CFal

Forum Captain
In Rhode Island all HS students take CPR as part of the state health curriculum, it's $10 for the card so most people get it.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
In Rhode Island all HS students take CPR as part of the state health curriculum, it's $10 for the card so most people get it.

That sounds like an AHA card, not Red Cross.

wanderingmedic

RN, Paramedic
Why not just put the students through an AHA class? It's usually cheaper. Some fire departments will provide it for free to groups.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
it was a red cross card, our gym/health teacher was a certified red cross instructor

I am surpised, that is the exact fee of the AHA cards many places and I understood the ARC to be higher.

CFal

Forum Captain
I am surpised, that is the exact fee of the AHA cards many places and I understood the ARC to be higher.

The school district provided the books to the students so maybe it was partially subsidized. I know he said that it was $10 to get the card through the school and that that was cheaper than if they took a class elsewhere, the teacher was the instructor so his salary was already covered and the books were the school's

OP
OP
Household6

Household6

Forum Asst. Chief
Premium Member
Why not just put the students through an AHA class? It's usually cheaper. Some fire departments will provide it for free to groups.

Can you tell me the difference between AHA (I'm assuming it's that "Friends and Family class?) and hands-on?

wanderingmedic

RN, Paramedic
AHA is the American Heart Association. In my opinion, they are way better than the Red Cross (and I currently work for the Red Cross). AHA CPR for the healthcare provider has been the standard in professional, quality, CPR for a long time. I used to work at a High School and we would have all of our coaches and student athletic trainer volunteers go through AHA's CPR for the healthcare provider. It has a practical portion, as well as a didactic portion, and people come out of the class knowing what they are doing. I have found graduates of AHA programs are far more confident and competent than those who have completed Red Cross courses.

jpregulman

Forum Crew Member
They should take an AHA course, its accepted a lot more than Red Cross. I am a CPR instructor and I would defiantly teach a free course for them. Contact your CPR department and see if someone would do a class for free. It is so useful to know. Everyone should know CPR. Cards should be about 3-7 dollars for the instructor. Im sure you can find someone to do it out of the goddess of their hearts.